Cayotae

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

It's a vine , anyone have any informatiom on growing ? I have 3 that are sprouting .

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sorry tonyjr...I've never tried growing one (yet). From reading about them I see they are a vine so could use some trellising.

Here is a site with LOTS of info about it.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/1492/chayote.html

By the way, did you start yours from seed? Or did you allow a chayote to dry/rot then sprout?

Keep us posted on how they do...this could be a fun veggie to grow!

Shoe.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

The wife eats these . To me they are a cross between a squash and a potatoe .
I store them in my garage [ 9b ] . Last year one sprouted , so I planted it - it died . 2 have sprouted now .
Going to web site now . thanks .

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

In Mexico we grew this big vine with lots of spines on a large wall, this vine gets very big in just a few years but cannot take frost. IMHO I would not plant or grow this vine in my garden ever again . . . not a very sharp looking plant and the spines really got to me.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Between the Roses , Catus , lemons [ 6 different ] , boarage and wild blackberries [ bird gano ] - thorns don't matter . The one I planted last was between the fig and Avacado trees behind rasberries by a cyclone fence .
It got about 8 feet long and died .
I put it there because cherry tomatoes like it there but a racoon or possum fell on the tomatoe . Something/plant has to die to have room to plant something new .
3 weeks ago I took out the Russian pick tomatoe plant , mixed some planters mix in hole , Dumped the water from fish tank in . Turned over a MT black 5 gallon put a brick on it .
I've had the flu a couple of weeks . Went out this morning to check yard - been raining here - a carnation is there .
Where did that come from ? Wife said it followed her to car at nursey and jumped into the car .
That happens a lot when wife and sister-in-law go out .

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Lucky - Tell the wife and sister-in-law to go out more often (as long as it does not interfere w/food crop production).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.