Comercial drum composter I was told about

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I seen the guy today that told me about this commerial drum composter. He said that the drum is for chicken and turkey littler. The drum is capable of holding 50 tons of litter and you put littler in one end and it progesses somehow through there and turns out finished compost in 4 days. If you want to see pictures of it go to earlybirdcompost.com click on equipment and the different ones and specifications are on there. He said it has a maintained heat of 142 degrees.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Interesting system! Glad to see such a good form of recycling!
I noticed they offer a smaller unit for sale also...I emailed them for a price on it. (I'm the curious sort, ya know!)

Shoe.

Oh yeh, here is a clickable link:
http://earlybirdcompost.com/

I bet they are not cheap shoe. I went up there again amnd tried to buy a pickup full. I do not think they will sell it to me. They are suppose to call. nothing yet. but they do sell it bulk I know because last week i think it was they sent nine 18 wheelers full of it out to Okla to some giant Nursury farm connected to Wallmart. If you got excess to enough manure I bet you can make one of those things pay for itselfs

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

ozarkian, I saw your giant tumbler today!! I thought it was really exciting, and the guy that had it was equally excited.

I saw an ad in the online newspaper for northeast Georgia that said compost - $25 per truckload. I had to call. He tells me that he has a front loader and a mechanical compost tumbler, and he will fill up the bed of my pick-up truck for $25. I had to have it.

I got there after work and he has a chicken farm, 3 long houses that are probably 1000 ft. long each. Behind the houses he has a tumbler, just like the one in the link, only not so shiny new. He tells me that he just bought this farm a couple years ago and that he more or less had to buy the tumbler with the farm. I told him that I had read about these online and I saw on tv last week how a co-op of peanut farmers in south Georgia got together and sold shares in the business to anyone who would buy them to get the start up money, and they are using the peanut shells (among other things) as the main ingredient in their compost.

This guy here also has a lot of horses - and a lot of horse manure. He has not used the tumbler for the horse manure yet, but has a plan. We talked about the business end of the chicken farm in general terms and he said that in his mind the chicken houses raising chickens was not the main goal for him, but the idea that they produced tons of litter for the tumbler made the work worthwhile, for him anyway.

He said the University of Georgia wanted to buy one of those tumblers and got shot down in the budget, so he contacted UGA and they are all excited about using his tumbler for some experimental stuff. They want to use different types of litter or manures, using different "recipes" or additives to achieve a final product that meets certain expectations in terms of mineral content, to be manufactured for a specific purpose. UGA, which has a huge agricultural dept, is hoping that the results of their experiments will persuade the budget people to buy one. Meanwhile, this guy near me is saying "come on, bring your stuff". He can't wait for them to get started. UGA students will do all the brainwork and he ends up with the compost and probably the recipes! How sweet is that?

We talked about the possibilities, he already has a chain of nurseries wanting to buy his compost in bulk, but meanwhile he is selling the compost by the pickup truck load to establish the product, and once the product is established he will create his own "niche" in the world of agriculture in a bigger way.

So, bottom line is the stuff is soooo good - looks like a pile of chocolate dirt if you know what I mean. It feels rich, smells rich. It must be well cooked because there are no grasses or weeds in it. It was dark when I got home so I didn't take a pic for you, but I thought about it. The stuff is almost black - dark as potting soil only thicker.

HMSTYL Yeah it is real good. I brought in 1/2 ton and will be going back to morrow for another 1/2 ton. It is black and rich. I paid $30 a load for mine. I am betting you can plant right into it with no problem. also going to spread part of this last load on my grass.

Denver, CO

Somebody post a picture, please. Let the mouth-watering begin...

James there is a picture of my first load over on the hosta forum. I am headed up there again today to buy another 1/2 ton. There is a link to the site on Horseshoe's post above. They ship tons and tons of this stuff around the country.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

James - you have no idea how hard it is to take pictures of dirt!! We tried, but it gets dark so early these days I can't tell if you can really see how dark and rich it really is. This is great stuff! I shoveled some of it into a low spot in the back yard, and the rest went into the veggie garden.

Thumbnail by hmstyl
Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Here is another

Thumbnail by hmstyl
Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

last one - we took these tonight - after the dirt had been sitting in the back of my truck since Wednesday

Thumbnail by hmstyl

hmstyl: I talked to our county extension agent about the turkey litter. According to him it should be mixed about 1part in 10. when you use it tilled in. That is not my way. I live on a rocky soiled lake front lot. Water goes through that stuff like it is sand. I am a small hosta collector. I use the compost on the top in rings about 2-3 inches deep around the hosta plus I spread it in the open areas of the beds like a mulch. Then I just let the rain etc carry it in feeds a long time that way.

Denver, CO

You've accomplished some decent soil pictures, (Homestyle, right?) Is it actually Alkaline? That could be useful for you acid-dirt folks.

I am waiting for a big compost pile of mine to finish for a current project; I wish I had some of that stuff about now.

But, Ozarkian, you've inspired me: I think I will call the chicken farms tomorrow and ask a friend if she wants to do a feild-trip...

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

James - you got it - homestyle, corney but it works for me. Yes, that is not quite 7.5 on my little dirt-o-meter. According to some stuff that I have read, between 7 and 8 is ideal for most veggie gardens, so I am quite pleased. I have a compost pile in the corner of my garden that works pretty slow this time of year, and I have a long-term compost bin out back that is the super slow stuff like magnolia leaves, husks from black walnuts, really slow, so I was happy to pay $25 for a whole truck load of good stuff.

Sounds like a fun date to me - a field trip to a chicken farm - if she enjoys that you better keep her!

ozarkian-I just backed the truck up to the edge of the garden and slung it with a shovel over the garden fence to wherever it landed. I have also been dragging in lots of leaves (mostly maple) and spreading them around in there. When the weather permits I will till it all under together and hope for a bumper crop this year.

Denver, CO

Ozarkian- I found "Grand Mesa Eggs" and will be getting some compost or raw manure if possible tomorrow AM.

Homestyle, I like a "homely" name. This friend is a generation (or two) older than I and probably my best friend. We are both mad gardeners. (I'm "Silty Gent," and she is "Loamy Lady.") I do garden work for her as she teaches me the subtleties of gardening, (She went to Cornell and has a Hort. Major.)and I am young and near-invincible while she has a back-ailment that prevents her from doing many things. She never thought she would have big basalt boulders in her yard (an other things) and I never thought I would learn so much.
We have a natural 7.6-8.1 or so pH here. Many plants will not mind a rough pH if here is enough organic matter in the soil. (such as the acid-loving Magnolia) Compost away! Sounds like you should mix in a bunch of grass clippings into your bin.
Maple leaves are absolutely awesome. They very often do not need spring removal as they break down just in time, being so fluffy and fine. I can’t get enough around here. I expect you will have a bumper crop!

I have a soil-amendment high just thinking about it!
Kenton

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Kenton - that is awesome! I wish I had a mentor. When you learn an interesting factoid please share them with us!

At 66 I bet I am a generation are so older than both of you myself. If this weather keeps up I am going to start up my twin barrel composter in about a month.

Denver, CO

Factoids, or the base of my Horticultural Education? Most of her guidance has just become my habit and technique! She took the master gardening course last year (and scored the highest on pre-testing!) and relayed what she learned to me. Thanks to her, I am quite ready for when I take it starting Thursday.

Homestyle; A couple "Factoids" that I can think of:
1: Do not use pruning sealer on trees; this will inhibit their own defenses. (with a few exeptions) When sealing Roses to prevent borers, use outdoor Elmer's wood glue, it is by far the best.

2: When digging a hole, never have clean shovel-cut sides. This is called interface and roots will elect not to penetrate into native soil. Forking the sides or scoring them with the shovel will make a world of difference.

3: Do not prune Clematis until early spring, as some will be tricked into growing if pruned in Winter or fall... (Which isn't good.)

4: Do not step on soil. It was the best (educational) chewing-out I have ever received! This is incredibly and suprisingly important. Stepping on new soil just four times can compact it 80%. (I've got stone paths now!)

But the biggest thing is this: The KEY to gardening is Soil Amendment, Which you must know, as you are in this forum under Ozarkian's great thread! Rich soil can improve pest problems, micro- and macro- nutrient definciencies, water absorbtion, heat tolerance, general growth, color, hardiness (my favorite! Explains Clematis armandii in CO), resilience, oxygen absorbtion, soil structure, plant competition, sun tolerances... and so on. However, organic matter eventually just "goes away" (it becomes inorganic.) and must be replenished. This should not be discouraging, as it takes time and healthy soil will sustain itself well with the help of plants growing in it. Starting with a good organic content can help a soil 'Catch up' to the dark beauty of naturally good soils (found in forests, etc.)

Ozarkian: I hope your special composter works as well as we expect. Thanks to you, I picked up about 1.3 cu. yds. of Chicken compost courtesy of "Grand Mesa Eggs" today for a mere $17. (I also am grateful toward my groaning and trusty S-10!!!) I am mixing it in to my new border with my own compost and horse manure. It is an experiemnt with a manure I've not tried. I will try to remember to mail you a picture. Would you mind if I posted a nice before/after picture in your thread in the arguement for soil amendment?

Whew, I'm long-winded. The excitement of gardening just overwhelms me, Kenton

JAMES I brought in 2 loads in my Ranger. It is hard on those little trucks. I got helper springs on the back of mine because we seem to be forever hauling in something.

My county extension agent likes the place i got the compost at. told me to be careful though because when they use it on fields they do it at a 1-10 ratio. but since I use it on top and it is going down at this time of vthe year it will be fine.

My soil is silty and rocky. You can throw water on it and it goes down like sand. So what I do is put rings of compost around the hosta about a foot from where they will come up and let the rain carry it in. works pretty well.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Kenton, those are VERY interesting factoids!

#1- pruning sealer - I always heard that if you cut a limb and don't seal it then the sap will run out of the tree and it will basically bleed to death - or bugs will bore into the fresh cut. But, after the ice storm we had here a few weeks ago and all the broken tree limbs, the trees seem to do fine year after year on their own.

#2- clean cut holes - I never would have thought about this at all - but it does make sense. I have planted several trees in my yard (recently peach and cherry) and I wish I would have known this last fall!

Please - keep sharing those factoids as they surface in your mind. Also, I am anxious to hear what your experience is with the horse manure. There is a lot of it available around here for free - and they load it in your truck for you, but I am afraid of using it because I hear that it grows a lot of grass wherever you use it. I hardly have time to keep up with my weeding as it is, and I hate to create even more weeds!

Maybe you should start a new thread with the before and after - and let everyone keep up with your progress. I love the idea of learning through other peoples experiments!
Cindy

Denver, CO

Sounds like it works, Ozarkain. A no-burn sort of system.

Funny you should say that, Cindy! (about Horse manure)
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/564482/

Seeds are only there if a horse eats them. Simple, but I only just realized this as to why I've never had any seedlings (manure boorne) come up in my garden. Just ask the stable owner what feed is used. Seedlings are very weak anyhow, easy to zap with a trowel or hoe.
Sounds like you live in gardener-heaven. I suggest getting a couple pails full if you have heard locally of weed seed problems and test it out on a clear spot to see for yourself. It is my number one amendment. But as Baa noted, continued and exclusive use in a soil for many many years is not great, just like anything else. That makes Ozarkian's composter pretty darned useful. Sounds like you have your bin for kitchen scraps and all.
Kenton

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

hmstyl:

How far is this guy from Lawrenceville?

I need a lot of this stuff.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

hmmm.. I'm trying to remember if his address was actually in Alto or Baldwin, both are really small towns along Hwy. 365, just north of Gainesville. I have the piece of paper at home, I'll look for it this weekend. I found him on accessnorthga.com in the free classified ads. He might still have an ad in there. It was great stuff - I am hoping to be able to till it in this weekend. I haven't been able to do much in the garden with all the rain we've had here, but I am anxious to get it tilled in and plant my early peas!

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Bronx Boy, when I unloaded my truck into the garden it was cold outside and I just stood in the bed of the truck and pitched it with a shovel - letting it land wherever. Last fall I had planted 4 rows of greens (spinach, mustard, collard) and I thought they were planted too late and the just didn't come up at all. Last night I was in the garden working on a different area I'm about to plant peas in, and alas - the greens are coming up! In places they are about 2-3 inches tall.

Here is the amazing part - the greens are coming up in places where I can see the compost I pitched!!!! Those seeds sat there dormant all winter, and now they are coming up where I put the compost - that tells me this stuff is dynamite!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.