Burning out weeds with black plastic

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

If I rototill early, then cover with black plastic, will this kill all the weeds? How long do I have to cover?There is a farm stand 2 doors down with great tomatoes, beans, even jalapenos. Cukes and corn. Should I bother just for Brussel Sprouts and Sugar Snaps? Anyway, does this black plastic work?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i believe that to truly solarize and sterilize your ground, you need to use clear plastic, not black. this is what i've read in all the florida gardening books. it's not set in stone, just my opinion gleaned from others.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Frankay, I Solarized a couple of times. Can't remember if I used clear or black plastic but it worked well. It takes about 6 weeks but it will not kill everything.
If you are going to rototill I don't see the need.
When I tried it, it was to kill the lawn to open up a new corn patch. I just used a spading fork to make little holes to plop the seed in. The corn came out great! The next year I had to till, what a job with all the rocks and builders debris.
So many seeds come in with the wind or bird/critter droppings you will never eliminate them all.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.