I was given three small red oak trees.

Lake Charles, LA

I was thinking about planting one in the back corner of the yard. Are they slow growers? Is this the usual color of the leaves? Tell me about your red oak tree. I'm in zone 9 and need a fast growing shade tree.
thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by ssdogwood
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Assuming they are Quercus rubra, they will become very large and are among the fastest growing of temperate-zone oaks. The fall color generally is less brilliant when they are mature. Magnificent trees if given room to grow.

Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

If you are in zone 9, then Shumard oak (quercus shumardii)would make a better choice than Northern red oak(quercus rubra). They would be more heat tolerant and probably have better fall color. They are pretty easy to find. The second best choice would be the Cherrybark oak (quercus pagodifolia).

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm in zone 9 and our Red Oak (Quercus rubra) is gorgeous. One thing you should know about it is that it does not lose it's leaves in the fall, but rather tends to hold on to many of it's "paper bag brown" leaves through most of the winter. Ours gives lovely fall color, then the leaves turn brown, only about 1/2 stay on to fall off with the new growth in the spring. Ours has been in the ground for 10 years, planted from a 24" box. I will post a pic for you if it doesn't rain. We had a pretty bad, windy storm a few days ago so it has lost some more of its leaves. As far as a good lawn tree that is trouble free in zone 9, it's great!

K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.