Greenhouse thermometers

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

How many are you using?
Best placements for most accurate readings.
In my sunroom attached to southside of home,I'm using 2 both set at 4ft height range,room is
10x29x9ft tall,have one at each end.Readings being consistant.
Greenhouse,attached to west side of house,16x28x8ft tall,have 4 thermometers,1 located midway at sides,1 at each end, from floor level,2ft range,5 ft range and at 6ft range.
Temperatures will range in 10* from one end to the other,cooler at the floor range.
Outside greenhouse 10x8x6ft,thermometers at each side.consistant also.
Each house has it's own accurate wireless meter with alarm set at 37*,also using the mercury thermometers in each house as well,and they seem to always be a degree or 2 cooler than the accurate wireless theremometers,anyone can verify that to be true with them as well?

Gainesville, FL

So far I'm using a Radio Shack wireless indoor/outdoor high/low thermometer in mine. I've got the one in the greenhouse attached to the plant stand about eighteen inches off the ground midway between the two IR lights and hopefully shielded sufficiently from them so as not to skew the readings.

My house is pretty small, only 8ft by 10ft so I haven't felt the need for multiple thermometers, but I have moved the one that it's there around a few times. First time I had it only about six inches from the plastic which kept giving me low readings. I'm sure if I put one on the ground and one up at the top of the bow arc there would be a difference in readings but where I have it now is pretty much the median for the actual height of the plants.

When I brought the wireless thermometer home I set the base unit and the two remote sensors (one for in the green house, one for outside) on the table a foot from each other and turned them on. Left them an hour to stabilize their readings and was a bit surprised to find that although they're digitial and give tenth of a degree readings the closest the three would come to each other was roughly a degree. I went and got the alcohol thermometer I keep in the bedroom and another outdoor type of alcohol thermometer that I hadn't put outside yet and set them up on the table and none of them gave exactly the same readings. The best I could get was to get them roughly within a degree of each other. I suppose I could have broken out the lab thermometer for the last word, but for my purposes I don't need high precision, just close to what's really happening.

So far, so good.

.....Alan.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Suprising how close all the readings are,with different thermometers that you used for checking the temps.

I agree that mid section, plant high, does give the best overall reading you can get in your greenhouse.
I know when I go the nurseries here in town,they just have one in the middle of the greenhouse,chest high,around 4ft,even when the house is as much as 20ft tall 80 ft long,and as I walk thru ,I can feel the temp changes as I pass different areas of the greenhouse,most of them use the the plastic tunnels to distribute the heat from one of the house to the other,using the one heater,instead of multiple heaters.
I wonder if that the case up further north of the country where it gets a lot colder than here.
Hopefully I can get some answers from other greenhouse gardners.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.