Still blooming in December...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a few dahlias still blooming. Hard to believe, but it's been very temperate here this fall. I couldn't resist sharing with you all.

Thumbnail by doss
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss, I am amazed! Very beautiful....thanks for sharing them. We have been in the low 20's to mid 30's the last week or so.....a few days ago I even woke up to a frost so heavy it looked like it had snowed (at least I don't think it was snow! lol) The roads were a skating rink with cars sliding all over. Thank Heaven for studded tires! Tonight we got some freezing rain too. I'm really glad I got all my dahlias out of the ground!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

very beautiful, doss.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss, love to see some dahlias blooming still at this time of the year.
As Mendy says, it is kind of nasty here. Tho is has been very cold but sunny too. So is better than the constant rain we usually get.
Thanks for sharing some of your flowers with us winter people.
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

We've had a huge deluge for the past 24 hours. I haven't been out but I assume the poor dahlias are toast. It was fun while it lasted anyway. :-)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya doss,

Please send us some of your rain! It's just cold (below freezing at night) and dry as a bone. It's good to see your late flowers and I do hope the rain didn't do too much damage. It was indeed a treat to see that someone in the Northern Hemisphere is still enjoying dahlias. I do hope our southern hemisphere dahlia addicts start contributing soon. I'm having separation from color anxiety...lol.

best to you,
don

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hiya Don,

My succulents would be so happy if the rain went your way, believe me.

I'm so sorry that you are just getting cold, cold, cold. I know that it has been mild here because it's been tempered by wet.

I wish Don water, I wish Don water, I wish Don water...... It did work for the other Dorothy but I'm fresh out of ruby slippers. :-) How about my mudboots?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh! Ahhh! And such pretty sunrise/sunset colors too. Very nice of you to post Dorothy. I still have snow from two weeks ago: freezing rain/snow/sleet expected overnight along with 60 mph gusts which took out our power last night. I do have alyssum and lobelia that kicked out some late season fresh blooms a couple weeks ago. They are up on the porch getting blasts of hot air from the dryer vent regularly which is the only reason I can offer to explain their blooms in our freezing weather. Now I'm thinking a pot of dahlias might do well there next Fall!

All you Oregonians, the DD is driving north from California in snow/rain/gusty winds and heading for the ice mess expected in Portland/Seattle. Please wish her well as she passes by your respective cities. And I wouldn't be at all opposed to your going out and putting ice bite or salt down on I 5 for her...... I'm almost as excited to see her as I am to see a blooming dahlia.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Almost????

Here's hoping that the DD has a wonderful trip and brings you all the joy of the season.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, I just watched the news. It was bad earlier today in Portland but is to be better later tonight and tomorrow, so hope she got there ok. Portland can have very nasty ice/snow storms.
Am glad that she will be with you for the holidays but traveling during the winter can be a challenge.
Carol

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Woohoo, home for the hollydaze. Poochella, I hope DD got there safely. This thin blooded southern calyfornyan is headed south for a few days of warm weather in the Yucatan.

Scooping poop in the cold is for the birds...lol.

doss, thanks for the winter rain dance/chant. I hope it comes. This morning it's 28deg and very clear and drrrrry! We're running irrigation early in the mornings to try and keep some half-hardy Salvias going. Sure hope it works.

best,
don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Don, have a good trip to the Yucatan then.
Soak up some other type of sun then, lol!!!
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a Sasanqua Camellia - not a dahlia but still blooming

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is one of 35 miniature roses that are all in bud right now. Some of the other camellias are blooming and some of the reblooming iris.

That's about the local color right now. :-)

Thumbnail by doss
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lovley camelia colors Dorothie. I have total zone envy now seeing all your blooms.

Dr. Don have a great time in the sunny, sunny Yucatan!

The travelling daughter has made it home safely. Yay! Portland was a real mess last night and she pulled over and found herself one of the last remaining motel rooms in the area. Lots of travellers became non travellers in a hurry on those icy roads. Now she's home for a few weeks and the holidays seem brighter indeed!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for letting us know that your daughter got where she belonged. That must have been a relief.

And I concur, Don, have a lovely warm time in the Yucatan. See some wildlife for me.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss, love the camellia too. Is so nice to see some color. I only have a white mum still blooming, crazy thing. And a few hardy cyclamens.
Annie, am so glad that she got home. Portland sounded horrible. Enjoy your Christmas then.
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The Camellia very pale pink... I don't know why but the same camellias on the other side of the path bloomed a month ago. This is more normal time for them to bloom.

It's always a nice holiday present.

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Doss - do you know the name of that dahlia you have pictured. I received one that looks just like that in a trade last year and it surprised me how beautiful it looked in my garden. Unfortunately, that tuber didn't make it when I prepped them for winter storage.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is the same dahlia in September. I haven't written down the name but I will go out in the garden and see if I can find it. I have several photos of it but the all say just 'dahlia'. Pretty silly, huh?

Thumbnail by doss
Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

The one I had this summer seemed to open very, very slowly. Almost seemed like it unfolded one petal at a time, and seemed to take weeks to go from bud to full bloom.
Does yours do the same?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This one only opened so slowly because it was so late in the year. And I can't figure out the name of it - I've got 30 and since it's not blooming I can't tell. I'll have to keep more regular records next time. A good one that looks similar though is Croyden Masterpiece - although it's a little redder, or Moonlight sonata - one of my favorites. It's actually pretty different but I do love it. See photo.

I wish that I had the name of it - RATS!!

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, two of the last
Gay Triumph

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

And Bumble Rumble - first and last to bloom. I really should have cut it down weeks ago. The foliage looks so very sad.

Thumbnail by doss
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I can't believe you're still enjoying blooms Dorothie! Lucky you.
I just ordered Bumble Rumble, love the painted colors look and hot pink on that one.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You can't go wrong with Bumble Rumble - it's the best. And it always makes me laugh. Out of all the dahlias this is the one that catches everyone's attention. I haven't had such great luck with other collarettes - don't know why.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.