Seed germination

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

This past season along with the last several seasons I have experianced very poor germination of several differnt seeds. Green beans, cukes, melons seem to be the worst culprits. I have used differnt suppliers, differnt varieties, and fresh seed, nothing seemed to help. This past spring I had equal luck with three yr old bean seed as I did with the fresh batch. Any suggestion ?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

If you are having trouble with some new seed, check the year it was tested for germination. Some suppliers may be selling year old seed sometimes.

Seed needs to be kept sealed up, dry, and cool.

I find that certain varieties of a watermelon jump out and are running very quickly and a few other varieties are very slow to germinate.

In general I have not experienced your problem. I do tend to plant double thick and thin out though as it gives me the opportunity to choose the most viable growers.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In general, I agree with Indy. But sometimes I do have germination problems, especially with snap beans, I have more problems in humous rich soil than poor soil, but almosy always it is because, the temperature dropped right after I planted. Most of these seeds are very susceptible to bacterial decay if they sit the ground very long.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think Farmerdill hit it right on the head. The soil should be warm for all the seed you listed.
You can check seed viability by planting 5 or 10 seeds in a pot, indoors where it is warm and sunny. 4 out of 5 equals 80%. I do this with old seed sometimes.
Andy P

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Or you can warm up the soil with black plastic or even newspaper for a week or so. Works for me...

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

On some second thought I can see where certain "tricks" like covering an early planting with clear plastic until the first sprouts show, ridging rows up a little higher, and covering fine seed with peat moss or sand will help germination. I've done these things regularly along with planting some things in raised beds and forgot that perhaps not everyone does them automatically.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

All good suggestions. thank you. As Farmerdill aluded to it is mainly bush beans that I 've been haveing problems with. I read somewhere yesterday that the dark seeded beans were not as susceptable to the cold damp soil conditions as the white seeded varieties. I have been known to push planting just a tad bit early. But even the later plantings haven't germinated. I will try all the ideas out and see what happens. If they work the local deer population will by mighty happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.