Different things growing in earthboxes

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Here are some pictures of different plants growing in earthboxes at the earthbox research farm. I stopped in to pick up some more EBs and snapped a few pics. Here are some strawberries and cabbage..

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

strawberries and cactus

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Cotton

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

papaya - Got my fat little finger in the way on this one.

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

cabbage, and lettuce (I think??)

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

geraniums

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

more cabbage

Thumbnail by kingedking
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

And last but not least, some maters. Not a great time for plants in this area, except for green cold weather veggies. The hurricane winds tore up most of his plants this year. Last year at about this time the mater plants were over the top of the support pipes and back down to the ground again. Maybe they will get lucky and not have a freeze in the near future.

Less than a month now until I start my seeds for the spring crop. Can't hardly stand the wait. I guess I'll have to try a fall crop next year.

Thumbnail by kingedking
St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

I have 5 earth boxes. Right now they have cherry tomatoes (starting to ripen outdoors), strawberries and a Meyer lemon. All doing well. Karen

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow! Kingedking I had no clue that you could grow so many things, I have 4 earthboxes and I have so far planted one with sugar snap pea, they seem to be doing well. By the way have you ever tried carrots in the EB?

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

carminator1 - No, I've never tried carrots in an EB. The EB reserch center puts out a planting calendar for central Florida and they have carrots listed for October through February planting. Looks like they should work fine. Ed

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Ed --- Thanks for the great pictures and even greater info.

Pasadena, CA

This may be a silly question, but what exactly is an earth box. I see them in the pictures there but they just look like black planters to me. Can somebody explain them to me. They might be useful to me instead of some of my planters on my patio. Tahnks.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Try this, berhardt:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/562889/

Pasadena, CA

thank you so much for the information. I think I may have to try one of these this year.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

carminator - i am goting to try sugar snap beans in my eb's. did you start them indoors or plant directly in the eb's?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody--

By luck I found these very interesting EB info threads here ---most informative with great pictures , So Thank you very much!

But I am wondering....

Does anyone grow flowers in EBs? Roses, maybe, or some perennials?

I'm guessing that the benefit to EBs is the fine growing medium, the steady moisture, steady fertilizer, weedfree gardening, they can be a raised bed or used on a patio....and anything else?...

And where is the best place to buy one, or, even better, a less expensive version? Any clues to that?

I am new to EBs, so forgive me if this question is a little stupid--

Thanks again. t.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi t -- There is only one earthbox and they can be found at www.earthbox.com You can try building your own but I've not heard any success stories in the two years of discussion other than using the real thing. They really are worth every dollar and last forever.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

bump

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.