Plant suggestions wanted for a garden arch

(Zone 7b)

I've got a nice garden arch that my DH put up late last year, which is just at the front gate, and I'm looking for something to plant on it - I've got 3 other arches, with chocolate vine, various clematis, honeysuckle, roses and trumpet vine, so am looking for something I don't have already, for this one.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Thanks.

Denver, CO

Do you grow Clematis armandii? I saw it when I was in your area and it was awesome.
I brought one back to a friend of mine; we'll see how it survives: so far so good.

Do you like Passiflora cearulea?
If it's strong enough, there is always the ubiquitous Wisteria florubunda cvs.
A front gate could use the re-blooming qualities of Morning glories.

Anyone have any frgrant ideas for our friend? Jasmines?

(Zone 7b)

Fragrant would be wonderful!! I love walking through the arch with the honeysuckle when it is in bloom - heavenly scent!
A friend has that clematis, and it is a thug here - she is constantly battling it, it's like a science fiction plant, she has it on her fence, and both she and the neighbour chop the living daylights out of it, to no ill effect.
Ditto morning glories, I'm afraid - monsters in our climate.

I googled the passiflora, that is beautiful, and I had no idea some of them are frost hardy!
I'm completely ignorant about them - any suggestions for cultivation info?
thanks!

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Confederate jasmine is always a winner -- stays green and wonderfully fragrant white flowers from spring to summer. Passiflora is wonderful, but will die back in winter.

Just reread my post -- confederate jasmine is evergreen. Above post makes it sound like it's only evergreen from spring to summer. Sorry for confusion!

This message was edited Dec 18, 2005 7:33 AM

Denver, CO

Evergreeness in the Jasmines (there are a couple hardy types that I can't conjure up right now) are definately nice. The Passifloras are mildly fragrant. You can find out a bit about the one you'll probably want- P. caerulea, in PlantFiles. There are a couple cultivars of it, the best being: 'Constance Elliot' a white form, and 'Clear Sky' a very large-flowered cultivar. They are pretty darn easy once established, and it can be evergeen to a point.

Wise of you to be planning now, friend.
There are certainlty other great options that escape me....

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Don Juan or Blaze climbing roses are great on a trellis or arbor.....they bloom non-stop from late spring until heavy frosts....are low upkeep and disease resistant. Both have great fragrance...
Often times, if you use a blend of plants, you can have blooms during most of the warm weather. BDunn is correct about the confederate jasmine, the smell goes for miles (it's also a white bloom) ....so combined with one of the current morning glories would be great! Several new picotee varieties that have the bi-color are beautiful!
Although it's a warmer area item, try Cape Honeysuckle, from South Africa, but fairly easy to find in the southern states..it blooms similar to a trumpet vine, but the blooms are stacked, instead of a single trumpet.
MerryMary

(Zone 7b)

Have you grown cape Honeysuckle? Sounds rather frighteningly invasive...sort of like the species morning glory here - maddening stuff!
I've never tried the coloured kind - been put off by the white - are they annual as opposed to unkillable?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.