Hello from Texarkana, TX

Hooks, TX

After browsing Dave's Garden site for a couple of weeks, I had to join! Seems like too much fun to miss out on any of it! My next task is to start a trade or share list. For now, I have blackberry
lilies and Queen of the Night cactus to share. I am in the process of downsizing my home and
moving to be near my daughters. My gardening will have to be smaller now because of back
surgery but I can't give up all of it. I'll just have to become more creative and selective about
my choices.
I look forward to making gardening friends across this wonderful internet.
Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I just had to stop by to welcome you! You're going to love it here.
Louise (yep that's my name too!)

Hooks, TX

Thanks for the welcome. I've read so many of the forum threads and everyone seems like a friend that I would like to have for a neighbor. I just talked this morning with a gardening friend who was president of the day lily society here for several years. Her health has caused her to sell or give away so many of her plants. Most of my day lilies came from her garden, which was absolutely gorgeous.
A man who has Dogwood Gardens gave me a start of an edible, wine-colored oxalis. It is hardy and multiplies quickly and makes a beautiful large round mound with pink blooms. I use it for borders. Do you have this plant in CA?
Have fun in the yard today!
Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hi Louise!
Here in CA oxalis is a weed! Do you have a picture of yours?
I did have fun in the garden today, dug a few irises for a customer and cleaned 4 rows in my iris garden.
I'm so glad you're enjoying this site, explore all the forums and keep in touch with me!
Louise

Hooks, TX

I don't have a picture of the plant now but will try to come up with one. The leaves are much larger than the regular green kind and are triangular shaped. The best examples are mounds that are 18 inches across and about 12-15 inches tall. They are very dark burgundy colored and the flower cluster is bigger across than the plain variety. The leaves have a tart flavor. I will send you a few of the corms for a start if you would like to check out the plant. I use it as a border plant.
Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'd love some, it sounds just like something my empty hills need. Thanks so much. I'll look it up here also in the plant files.
Thanks again, Louise.
Louise!

Hooks, TX

www.dutchbulbs.com/bulblady/oct_2005/digit.html - 50k - Dec 16, 2005 -

I went to google, typed in 'burgundy oxalis' and about 13,000 places were listed. Of the ones I checked out, the one above had a picture of the one that I have. Scroll down several pictures to the one in the white hanging basket. It shows mostly the flowers but you can see the burgundy foilage under them.
I didn't know there were so many and lots of them don't even have red leaves.
I hope you can tell enough about it. If not, you might go to some of the other links. I also have the Peruvian daffodil if you are interested. Just tell me where to send them.
I guess my interest in flowers goes back to the 30's when my mother always had a rock garden in our front yard. She planted mostly verbena in it. When I get moved to my new home in January, I hope to build a rock garden like mom's.
Louise

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

hello from upstate new york. can't believe i have met someone from the town where buddy holly was born. at least i think he was.

Hooks, TX

Greetings from down south that feels like up north! We have had several days of at or just below freezing for the last two weeks. really limits the outdoors time for Texans. Major outdoor activity is raking leaves.
Since our local arts council doesn't mention Buddy Holly, I guess he's not the one from here. but the ragtime composer, Scott Joplin ('The Entertainer', Maple Leaf Rag') was born here. We have a LARGE mural on a building across from the Perot Theatre downtown to honor him.
By the way, I went to school with Ross Perot and was in his senior English class. His family lived a few blocks from where i live.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Did you vote for Ross????? My mom did! She really wishes he would have gotten into office.
Thanks Louise, I'll check out the oxalis and get back to you later.

Hooks, TX

Yes, I did vote for Ross. I knew the kind of person he was and liked his values. He is a thoughtful, intelligent and compassionate individual. I even have a
T-shirt from the campaign. It was sold at Bryce's cafeteria. My great-grandmother lived not too far from his father's cotton trading business. I remember seeing the bales of cotton sitting on the porch of the office building.

This is my first adventure into instant (?) messaging. I don't have a cell phone and haven't activated it on this computer. I still have to learn the IM lingo - like many of the abbreviations and the conversational style instead of complete sentences. But, I'll get there. I'm 74, but I learn quickly!!!

Also, when or how does this thread end, or does it just keep going???? Are people who start them supposed to delete the thread at some time, or is it self-limiting????
Louise

Hooks, TX

I have a question about trading and sharing plants. Since I have 'Queen of the Night' cactus and blackberry lilies to give away, I typed in each of them on the trading forum. Many entries were posted, both having them for trade and for wanting them. I then emailed each of those wanting the plants that I have with info on what I would ship. So far, I haven't heard from anyone. Is there another and perhaps better way to participate in the system??????
I'm just beginning to learn my way around the site.
Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Sounds like you're doing it right, Louise. Sometimes it takes awhile for people to get back to you but everyone here is pretty good about getting back to you and sending you what they owe you. This is a pretty honest site.
The threads keep going as long as people reply on them. I don't know if there's a certain point to where they're eliminated, maybe some Dave's expert can answer that.
I hope you're having fun!

Hooks, TX

I've just returned from a Christmas Recital by students of a fellow piano teacher. I have taught piano for 28 years until this past September. I took this semester off because of my back surgeries and plan to start again this spring if I don't need a third surgery.

You probably noticed that the first thing I did after getting home was to check the garden forum!!! It's like a new toy now. Maybe later it will settle back into proper perspective - can't guarantee that tho !!!

The forum is GREAT !!!!!

Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I play piano! I have played alot of years but don't play as well as I should. Will you be my piano teacher? Do you have any advice on how I can play better? I know, like my mom used to tell me "practice, Louise, practice...but like I used to say, "practice makes perfect but no body's perfect, so why practice!"
You are officially addicted to Dave's!

Hooks, TX

weegy12-
Leisure time piano for adults is the BIG thing now. All the newer books, with any kind of music you prefer, have midi disks with them. With the corrrect equipment, you can play along with an orchestra, drums or both from the lesson square one and at any tempo that suits your current level of study. It is so much more interesting and fun than when I studied as a child. The kids just love their lab time when they get to control an electronic piano and a sequencer. Even theory is fun and games on the computer.
I did have 43 students at one time but I am downsizing my studio now by not replacing the ones who graduate, move or quit. I would like to keep 5 or 6 to stay into teaching because I enjoy it.
If you lived here, we could play, then talk garden, play more,talk more flowers, then go outside and dig in the dirt. Sounds like a plan to me!!!!
I even have a program on my Mac that will play my Roland all day for me from artist recorded music. That's a treat for me as I clean house and cook.
Find a teacher who is up on the latest methods and start having double fun with music and flowers!!!!
Louise

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Louise,

Welcome to Dave's. The other Louise is on my "favorites list".

May your Holiday Season be grand and the Best In 2006.

Judy

Hooks, TX

Judy,
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
I should have found this site a LONG time ago. There is so much information here and so many new friends.
I still have to learn how to go back to pages I've read. Some of them, I've not found yet. This morning, my home page did have three sites listed at the top that said there were new posts. I don't know what I did to make this happen but it make navigation much easier.
Merry Christmas and a Happy 2006 for you and yours.
Louise
P.S.- l'm going to check your plant list page now to see what's in your garden.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Awwwww, shucks Judy!
Louise, if there's a thread that you want to keep posting on and watching, just hit watch thread beneath the new messages. I hope that's clear enough. Just get in and explore and you'll figure it out.

Hooks, TX

Louise,
Thanks for the info. I must have done that at some time - don't remember. It's nice to know how to navigate easier.
It's 10:40 a.m. here and I'm still here at DG. Haven't even eaten breakfast yet. Got to learn how to wean myself from this place!!!!!
Louise

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Howdy neighbor!
I'm originaly from T-town...now living in Ashdown.

That man is Mr.Hamilton and he gave me some oxalis triangularis too 3 or 4 years ago when we both had booths set up at the "Wings and Things Festival" here in Ashdown.

Put it on your calender...MAY 20,2006" The 4th Annual Garden Swap"sponsored by me and the Dirt Diggers Garden Club. Your welcome to join us and bring as many gardening buddies as you wish.

Limme know if you'd like more info.
email bigred@arkansas.net

Was that a shameless plug or WHAT?...LOL

PP

Hooks, TX

bigred,
I sent you a long email but it came back undeliverable because I'm
not allowed. Is there a way to get around this?
thanks for the info about the May 20 event. I'll try to attend. where is
it held???
Louise

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Aw...Rats! My bigred addy is such a pain in the butt! Try my scoobernot@hotmail.com

Swaps held here at my house on Millwood Lake.

We're recuiting new garden club memebers too.

PP

Hooks, TX

bigred
I resent the email. Hope this one works.
louise

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hiya Louise,

Big Welcome to DG from da cheesehead State of Wisconsin.

You will love it here.

TTYL, Shirley in Smalltownrednecktractorville, Wisconsin lol

This message was edited Dec 24, 2005 8:05 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Hooks, TX

Shirley,
Thanks for the welcome. I've been here a month almost and have already made DG my homepage and have mailed out my first package to another member.
Lots and lots of info here -
Louise

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Well , good for you Louise .

Happy trading and planting ;-)

§

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Merry Christmas Louise!
Louise

Hooks, TX

Shirley & Louise,
Merry Christmas and Happy 2006 Gardening to both of you also !!! I spent from Friday afternoon to last afternoon at my daughters' homes in Hooks. I even was able to check on my DG site from their computer. I'll work on getting another lily package ready to mail today. Our weather should be nicer for the next few days. I've spent long times reading the propagation and the square gardening threads - so much better than having to go to the library. Love this place!
Keep in touch-
Louise

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm glad you're enjoying the site and we sure are happy you're here. Hope your Christmas was enjoyable.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Louise
Welcome from Pakistan in the world of Magic and soon you will also addicted like us, members are soooooo lovely , caring and helping you will feel as you are talking with your childhood friends and never want to loose any . Enjoy and share your gardening experiences with us.
Kaleem

Hooks, TX

gumla,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel very at home here with all the new friends. It's amazing how much I have learned in only the 5 weeks as a member. So far, I have mailed 2 plant packages and have three seed sasbe ready to mail today. I'm even planning a garden room - 12' x 16' - adjoining my bedroom on the east side. All of this is now a rival for my piano teaching time. It just makes my day more pleasurable !
Let me know if you want the peruvian lily and the spider lily.
I thanked God for your safety from the quake and continue to pray for your countrymen who are recovering under such dire circumstances.
Your American friend,
Louise

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hi Louise,
It's me again. I just found this thread. I take it back. You are older than I am. (I thought I was older than everybody!) LOL! You might have known my sister in high school. She turned 73 today, and also went to Texas High. Her name was Julia Myrick (now Clay). She lives in Bells, TX. By the way, I'm 64.

You might also have possibly know Kenneth's sister, Martha Sue White (Littles). She was 70 when she passed away about a month and a half ago. She had very advanced diabetes with all the bad things that come with it.

Have you lived in Texarkana all these years? Here is a good website you might be interested in:
http://www.texashightigers.com

It has a lot of information about SOME classes and very little about most of them, but it is the best one I've seen.

Kay White

(The first references I made in this note are to a d-mail I sent you on a thread started by BigRed from Ashdown. I forgot what forum it was on.)

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hi Louise,
It's me again. I just found this thread. I take it back. You are older than I am. (I thought I was older than everybody!) LOL! You might have known my sister in high school. She turned 73 today, and also went to Texas High. Her name was Julia Myrick (now Clay). She lives in Bells, TX. By the way, I'm 64.

You might also have possibly know Kenneth's (my DH) sister, Martha Sue White (Littles). She was 70 when she passed away about a month and a half ago. She had very advanced diabetes with all the bad things that come with it.

Have you lived in Texarkana all these years? Here is a good website you might be interested in:
http://www.texashightigers.com

It has a lot of information about SOME classes and very little about most of them, but it is the best one I've seen.

Kay White

(The first references I made in this note are to a d-mail I sent you on a thread started by BigRed from Ashdown. I forgot what forum it was on.) (Look for it under "Mail".)

Hooks, TX

Hi, Kay,
Thanks for the TH link. I'll have to explore a little.
Neither of your relative's names ring a bell with me, but at my age, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. :)
Peggy (bigred) in Ashdown invited me to join the Dirt Diggers Garden Club. I intended to go as a guest to the January meeting but it was too cold and rainy for me to drive 20 miles and back. I may join and know I want to go to the plant swap in May.
I've taught piano for 28 years.
Goodnight and keep gardening !!!!
Louise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.