New Ground

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I moved this year and am looking to turn a slab of lawn (that used to be part of mica strip mine) into a garden. It's hard clay and looks to be a bit gravely. I didn't have a tiller until recently, so I haven't broken ground yet and would like some advice. I'm having to un-learn decades of chemical gardening practices and want to go as probiotic as possible, so we'll start with that...

Do I break ground as soon as it's dry enough, or wait until spring?
If I till soon, should I start with compost tea and probiotics then, or wait until it's warmer?

We won't be seeing days above 50 degrees F until March or April.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

if you till now, you need to hav a mulch to cover it, or a crop cover that oculd be planted now. you don't want the soil to erode over the winter. but usually it is best to fall till...

hope this helps!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Keith...I know your winters. If you till/plow now (as you said, when it's dry) the soil will mellow during the freeze/thaws. This will break down many of the clods into finer particles and, I seriously doubt, into silt...so you should be safe.

If your new ground is on a slope then, as T-Faye says, you best do something for erosion. It's too late to plant a cover crop/green manure crop but you could incorporate leaves and other ingredients to your soil (preferably after the soil has been broken).

If you have to wait till late Winter or Spring, and you now have a tiller (didja get that Husquavarna?), I'd suggest tilling a few inches on one day and leave it at that. This will begin to dry the soil out and not only dry the few inches you tilled but will also also moisture from the level below the tilling to begin to dry. In another week (or days, depending on the sunshine) go back and re-till, this time going another couple inches deep. Each time you till the ground will not only dry out but will also warm up a bit. The third time you till (again another couple inches) you can let the soil rest and begin planting some cool weather crops in it. (Remember, I'm talking late Winter/Early Spring here.) Onions sets, garden peas, potatoes, etc.

But, back to Now. If your ground is dry enough to work, till it, but put something in there to hold it and to add organic matter. I doubt you will be planting till the first of March/middle of March in your area and possibly not until first of April, depending on what you will sow. I'll have to hear more from you on those planting dates. Don't make me come over there and try out that tiller, cus I'll sure do it! :>)

Shoe.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Agrinerd, let Shoe come over and try it out, then HE can till it for you! :-)

see if you can get some leaves from neighbors, landfills, recycling centers, or even call the city and see if you can get what they raked up at the park. i would share, BUT...

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Yep, Texas is a ways off, but there's plenty of local organics to be had. A local organic farm offers organic vegetal compost and another local feed & seed offers mushroom compost from Georgia. Driving around today I saw that quite a fewv locals had broken ground in the past few days, so I'll follow suite Sunday... I know Sunday is a day of rest, but I'll be working Saturday and tilling the soil is a primal joy for me instead of a chore. Yes, I bought the Husky tiller, and looking at the tillers for sale at the local outlets, this one out-classes them all and at less than half the price.

Thev first thing I'll try is Fava beans. I have about 5 varieties to try, and based on their performance, I'll be making some crosses. This is going to be a challenging and intresting year! I'll be sure to keep you posted. Y'all are such a big help and encouragement.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yeah, sounds like a plan!

wait till after mid-morning, so the soil is nice & warmed up. also, that makes the moon sign the best for cultivating :-)

tf

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Way to go, Agrinerd! Glad you got the Husky! Also glad you'll try some fava beans. I grew them some yrs back and really enjoyed them; besides, just think, what other bean can you grow in the Winter! Fun, eh?

Will be looking forward to your reports/checking in. Congrats.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Thanks, all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.