duplicates

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

This used to happen over a year ago, and now appears to be happening again... there are multiple duplicate entries in the Plant Files. the order appears to be somewhat random and not all entries are duplicated... just thought I'd mention it.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Can you give me a link to an example of a duplicate?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

OK, I must be crazy- they are gone this morning. Hmmm.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have noticed on the watermelon section of Plant Files that Willhites Tendergold and Tendergold both appear and are the same variety. Also Burpee's Fordhook Hybrid and Fordhook Hybrid are obviously the same variety.
I will try to link but am afraid of losing this post.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/94394/index.html
There's one link , but I lose the previos ones. If you select cultivar[alphabetically], they can be found fairly quickly

This is a good time to be instructed on how to copy several links at a time so that they can be posted in one post without losing your post.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2005 2:58 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually there are whole series of them. The old Burpee, Burgess, Livington cultivars are listed both under thier original names and with company name dropped. More prevalent in tomatoes than else where. Then a lot of the older cultivars have added or dropped adjectives. The recent post on Jubilee illustrates the confusion out there. It is an older commercial cultivar released as simply Jubilee, but recently foks have been adding adjectives to it. I tend to be ambivalent, because a person seaching for Burpee's Delicious, may not find if listed solely as Delicious. ditto for many others. To my knowledge, while Willhite is the vendor of Tendergold, they never added Willhite to it.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't think we need to have them as duplicates in PF. I would think the best way to handle this would be to add the other names under additional cultivar names instead of making a new entry for them. I hope at some point Dave will be able to include that field in search.

I corrected both of these. If Terry agrees this is how she wants it done, sounds like we have some cleaning up to do.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Indy - to copy several links, it's best to have two windows open - one you can use to search around and find the links you want to copy; the other will have your post where you're pasting the links. More specific help on opening new windows and managing them is available at the computer talk forum ;o)

Farmerdill & Mystic - good news! The names in the "additional cultivar info" field are included in the cultivar search, so there is no reason for duplicating them ;o) So, yes - it sounds like some cleanup is in order.

To all - as you spot duplicates, please report them to the helpdesk. That will help us combine these, and remove unnecessary duplications.

The *BEST* way to help us is to click on the "report an error" button when you are viewing the search results with the duplicate entries. Here's an example: http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=tomato&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=delicious&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

NEED HELP ON PLANT INFO - I am not sure how to enter this to the plant file without family, genus, specie names. It Burpee Spinach, Baby's Leaf Hybird.
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=522&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=spinach

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Would you say (allium cepa) 'White Lisbon Bunching' Onion is the same as 'White Lisbon' Onion? I didn't want to duplicate.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tammy,

For the spinach, I would recommend looking up some other spinaches that are already in PF and see what their family, genus, and species are. Your spinach should be in the same family and genus and quite possibly even the same species as the entries that are already in PF.

For the onion, my guess would be that they are the same thing.

You might also want to start a new thread for this--your questions don't relate to the original topic of this thread so more people are likely to see it and help you out if you give it it's own thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images