Sweet Potato Vine roots...worth wintering over?

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I dug up my Sweet Potato Vine tubers this fall with the intention of planting them out again in spring. Out of 6 SPV's, I had 2 tubers that looked O.K. and about 6 or eight more pieces of red colored root- really skinny, not fat like a potato at all. Are they worth keeping? I put them in a sand filled basket in my cool basement, but I think I should just chuck them and start over as I always do.

Why did they get all skinny? I had them in my window boxes with a lot of other plants, one of which was quite a thug. Did they get undernourished? Usually, the potatoes get stolen before I can dig them out, and I find little bits left with squirrel bites taken out of them. What happened? Are they worth keeping? Do I go ahead and spend a fortune on these plants again next year?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

You can always take cuttings and root them in water if you have room.
I've never had to dig mine up as they grow year round down here unless we have a frost.
If the rare frost is expected, I go out and take a bunch of cuttings of each variety and stick them in water as backup.
Jan...

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I wish I'd known that before they turned all black and frozen.

Oh, well. Something to try for next year!

I feel like I could definitely try that. I have a poor Devil's Ivy cutting that has been growing in water for about 2 or more years. I'd be afraid to put it in dirt now!

Wichita, KS

I dug mine up and stored them in peat moss. We will see if that works.
I will let you know.

I rooted some and they were taking over. I didn't have the room for them, so I trashed them :-(

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I just brought my whole hanging basket into the basement and am keeping it slightly moist - it is sprouting anew as we speak!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

ivy, I collected some tubers in Nov. hoping to trade them in the spring. I just mailed them to somebody with the request they let me know if they take. Her plas are to grow them in the GH, a moist environment. I will post here. like yours, my tubers were longish and looked kinda dry, like some of the stuff you might find at walmart,lol

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.