December weather, God bless you with Warm Merry Gentlewinds.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Last January we had a massive ice storm. My power was out for 65 hours.....yes counting the hours. Some were out longer. A lot of the problem comes from trees near the power lines.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Socalpalms, great pic - thanks for the post. We've got white skies and no sun breaking thru this morning. Another almost zero morning and another afternoon it will get to just above freezing. must be winter. and don't gimme that not until the 21st nonsense. it's winter out there.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

1 °F / -17 °C
Light Snow Showers Low Drifting Snow Showers
Windchill: -18 °F / -28 °C
Humidity: 78%

I am extremely grateful that the power hasn't gone out here for years (prolly because trees are few and far between outside of town ;). Thankfully (or not with prices now) gas is our main source for heat.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

BRRRRRR!!!!!!!! Why am I complaining....., cannot imagine 1F!!!!
This morning at 7AM 39F
Right Now for Castro Valley, CA (94546)
Cloudy 44°F
Feels Like 44°F
Updated Dec 16 08:45 a.m. PT

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From ENE at 2 mph
Humidity: 79%
Pressure: 30.06 in.
Dew Point: 38°F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes, I don't agree with the official dates for the seasons....they are all 10 to 15 days later here than the real season.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

hanna it's the 2nd part that shows the actual temp we are feeling.......

:b windchill -18 °F / -28 °C

(here cold is below -30°F.......friggen cold was last years temp of :b -54°F q:)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Got down to 38F this morning. That has got to be the coldest it's been so far all year. We get some of our coldest weather right around Christmas (yes, I'm using the word cold rather loosely) and if we are going to get a killing frost, it will be around that time. I think the reason is because the skies are often clear now, where in Jan and Feb, we have more cloudy nights. We can get ran in Dec, but more often than not, it doesn't really get started (if it's going to start at all) until January.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on December 16, 2005
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
51 °F / 11 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 37 °F / 3 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2200 ft / 670 m
(Above Ground

P.S. I'm from PA. I can imagine 1F and -18F windchill. I can imagine -12F and -50F windchill. My sympathies, but I feel I've paid my dues. ;-) However, I absolutely cannot imagine -30F and -54F is beyond comprehension.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

BbBbbbbabbbURRRRRRRR -54º is watch your breath freeze cold. Even words just freeze right up and fall to the ground before they ever reach others ears. That's how cold that was.

Sun is shining through the blinds and it's 58.3 °F / 14.6 °C 31 °F / -1 °C 35% ESE at 1 mph / 1.6 km/h 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa
Taking some finale pictures of my front garden on it's last legs.
Sidney

This message was edited Dec 16, 2005 1:05 PM

There was some silly joke that went something like this - Last night, it was so cold that the thermometer knocked on the door, wanting to be let inside. And another - One winter is was so cold that the flame in the lantern froze when we went out to the barn. Dad broke off the flame and tossed it aside. During the spring thaw, the barn burned down.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm looking forward to the day where I can say the same Kelli. Cold, as ImWay once said, is relative to where you live........I'd like to check out California's and Florida's for myself. :)

Sidney you've described it very well.

here we have short summers, long cold winters but there are upsides to living here also (which I try to remind myself of..... esp. when our car's tires are frozen square).

This message was edited Dec 16, 2005 10:56 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Whoever wrote that Kelli lived either in Saskatchewan/Manitoba/North Dakota or the Arctic.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

We had a cold, wind driven rain here this morning. The temp is now up to 48F and the rain has stopped. The wind blowing across the remaining snow is causing little fog patches to swirl.
Andy P

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This is on the front page of today's paper........

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Gave me the chills just to look at him, LOL!!!
My thermometers reads 39F right now, but the weatherman claims otherwise, go figure! I'm gonna go snuggle under the blankies! Good night all.
Right Now for
Castro Valley, CA (94546)
Partly Cloudy 43°F
Feels Like 38°F
Updated Dec 16 07:45 p.m. PT

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From NE at 9 mph
Humidity: 75%
Pressure: 30.05 in.
Dew Point: 36°F
Visibility: 5.0 miles

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Lilypon, as I always say when I see someone inappropriately dressed, "Where is your mother?". LOL Come to think of it I say it a lot when I see the kids in the Mall! Oh for the good old days when my mother always wore a hat and gloves to go shopping, and I was dressed in a dress with my black patent Mary-Janes. (sigh). Now you REALLY know how old I am!!!

Anyway........I woke up this morning with all the windows fogged over because the A/C was turned down and outside it is 69° and humidity 94%. High today supposed to be 77°. Looks like clouds and light rain for next week.
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

He is wearing gloves Pati! ;) I can just imagine how fast those runners move when we hit the -40's. Don't ya just love how red his legs are? The next stage of frost bite is when the skin turns white.

Expecting rain for next few days, I've been putting off watering my plants, they're thirsty, lol
Right Now for
Castro Valley, CA (94546)
Cloudy 49°F
Feels Like 44°F
Updated Dec 17 10:25 a.m. PT

UV Index: 1 Low
Wind: From ENE at 11 mph
Humidity: 69%
Pressure: 30.07 in.
Dew Point: 39°F
Visibility: 3.0 miles

NEW! 3x Faster Radar & No Ads

30% chance of rain today. Nothing to get excited about. It's fairly dark out. If this was some other part of the country, it would probably rain.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on December 18, 2005
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
55 °F / 13 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h from the SSE
Pressure: 30.29 in / 1026 hPa
UV: 1 out of 16

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

48.7°, 49%, clear - bright sun

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Cloudy AM low 19F, slow clearing in the afternoon high 31F.
There was a storm passing to our south today and while walking Sidekick Sarah I noticed this in the sky. The one pictured here is the third in half an hour, they only last a few minutes. The sun reflecting off ice crystals in the clouds.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

How neat is that Andy?
Sultry all day here.
now it's like this; 51.4 °F / 10.8 °C 49 °F / 9 °C 91% Calm 30.24 in
All week, low 38º & high 60º.
Good shopping weather.
Sidney

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

wow, that pic just blew me away! had to read the descirption again!

weather here? covered in ice! but should be warm by Wednesday (here/now warm equals high in 40s!)

can you imagine if that man's mother saw his picture on the front page? what a show-off!

tf

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Low this morning 3° and expected high of 20° or so. Perhaps winter is about over?

Yucky and 53º here at noon. Just gloomy!
Sidney

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Morning low 18F, High 33F, moderate winds from NW, mostly cloudy.
Here is another pic I snapped yesterday. Lots of info came back to me on another site I frequent. The phenomena is called a Sun Dog and they are usually in pairs, one on either side of the sun. This is the larger one. Lots of rainbow effect, too.
Andy P

This message was edited Dec 19, 2005 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

I've seen the rainbow effect but it was never bright enough to look like a second sun. The first time we ever saw one, it was in Arizona, so we call it an "Arizona thing", like, "Look in the sky, it's an Arizona thing!"

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Excellent photo Andy. Really neat.

Didn't get out of the 20's today here in Pa. Winds at 20 miles per hour really chill things down. Got the last of Christmas Shopping done today. Supposed to be nice Christmas day up here - am expecting a lot of family!

Hope you all who got the ice storms get your electric back.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

we had ice storms the last two days, but it should begin melting tomorrow, & warmer every day through the weekend.

yes, hope everyone has power of some kind for the holiday!

tf

Halcyon days - http://www.rkdn.org/alternative/Halcyon.asp

Canoga Park
Scattered Clouds
75°F
Feels Like
75°F
Updated Dec 20 01:25 p.m. PT
UV Index: 1 Low
Wind: From NNW at 11 mph
Humidity: 27%
Pressure: 30.18 in.
Dew Point: 39°F

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

like that link! halcyon would be nice here!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Just plain cold here. Low in the teens and high 30F. Brisk NW wind and clear sky.
That picture above of the one Sun Dog was on TV this morning.
NECN (New England Cable News [Comcast]) has a weekly "Sky Shot" segment and that pic was one of a handful featured. A first for me. Made my day!
Andy P

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Yipee! Congrats, BIG TIME! Hope you have many more pics featured!!!

tf

Congrats, Andy! What fun!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

34½°, 50% clear & cool. Nice job Andy!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Anyone have an update on Pati (patischell) The last posting to her Prayer Thread was 12/2 or so.

Judy

Judy, she posted above on the 17th. I'll hollar at her in the sunny morning with mid fifties around noon time.
Sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

High today 31°. Still have 3 or 4 inches of snow left from previous storms. Roads are clear and good for shoppers. Winds are a beach. Makes it so much colder.

Supposed to moderate later this week, if it gets up above freezing I will snowblow the summer car pad for more parking space for Christmas visitors.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

For those who think GA never gets cold... here's a little taste of last Thursday. I remind folks I'm in NORTH Georgia- no spanish moss here-LOL!
Enjoy!

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

another brrr!

Thumbnail by berrygirl

Yep, berrygirl, that's pretty icy alright!
We dodged that killing freeze again last night.
50.5 °F / 10.3 °C 27 °F / -3 °C 40% Calm 30.24 in., 10:19 AM EST
Sunny
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.