Happy Birthday Doss!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wishing you a very happy day filled with joy!

Thumbnail by pirl
Lebanon, OR

Happy, Happy Birthday Doss:) Have a super one and do take care. Hope you are doing something that you enjoy today and all days.

May the sun shine on your face, may the happiness be a round you, may the glow of life be in your heart.

D

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Happy birthday to a great person!

Laura

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Happy birthday, Doss! I hope your special day is filled with love, laughter, flowers and Cavalier kisses.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh Doss, yea it's your birthday, have a great one. Got out and buy some irises!

Thumbnail by weegy12
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone!

I am having a fun birthday - although I'm afraid that Weegy's instructions are a little difficult - maybe in March? It is definitely daylily buying season though.

My sweet Penny (Cavalier) is not feeling well but getting better so I am spending a lot of time with her and of course Zora (the other one) is impossible to avoid.

I am having a lovely day. I had brunch with a good friend and am having dinner with my family.

And I still have some iris blooming and the miniature roses are getting very happy.

And my house is even decorated!

Doss

So happy to hear from you and so good to know Penny is responding to treatment.

Enjoy your dinner with family.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Felicitations and best birthday wishes!!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy Birthday!! (Yes, yes, here I go again! LOL)

Marilyn

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm having a very fun birthday just following the birthday wishes today. All of you are really too kind - and kind of family. DG has been a very fun part of my life this year and I'm so glad to be here.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

More birthday wishes are being sent your way!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Who is that pretty plicata, Shirley?

And thanks!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh, come on Doss, you can still get irises, we're in California! Have you already chilled there? I'm still deadheading and weeding! Would plant more if I had room! Glad you're having a wonderful day, you deserve it.
Shirley, is that City Lights? My City Lights is blooming and looks similar.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your city lights is blooming??? I'm jealous. I love that iris.

I never think about buying iris in the winter. Isn't that funny? It got down to almost 38 degrees although if we're lucky it doesn't freeze here. But the SDB of course would rather have it a little chilly.

I'm moving stuff around and thinning things, picking up leaves still and enjoying the rebloomers. In Feb the magnolia Galaxy will bloom and we're off and running.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

doss~

I just looked at your Magnolia 'Galaxy' in the Plant Files. What a beauty!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday Doss. I can't imagine this iris forum without you. What a wonderful person to have on board here - sharing all your knowledge, but best of all your friendship. Wishing you a Happy Year!

~ Margie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I do love the Galaxy - it's worth it's space blooming before anything else. It's supposed to be later than the regular magnolias but I haven't found that to be true.

And I'm the lucky one here in the iris forum having all of you to share my iris craziness (if that's a word) with. No one else understands me. LOL

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yep, my City Lights is blooming. Want one?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure Weegy - I'll send you dmail! Thanks.

Doss

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry, just getting back to this thread. The picture I posted is T.B. Iris, "Jesse's Song". http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/35396/index.html .

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! I just noticed that on Jesse's Song's entry in the DB it's listed as having parts that are poisonous. This is news to me? Am I just mistaken?

Doss: just have cheesecake instead. Dulce la leche!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You mean no Iris rhizomes for dessert? Gee, I've been dreaming about that!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Doss............ it is interesting that has been brought up. Several sources I've found state that IRIS are indeed poisonous, and can be irritating to the skin if handled.

Iris -- The roots, stalks, leaves of this flower are toxic. Symptoms of poisoning can include vomiting (sometimes with blood), depression, diarrhea (sometimes with blood), hypersalivation and abdominal pain. (Pet Library - bestfriendspetcare.com)

Care should be taken when pulling or digging iris because resinous substances in the leaves and rhizomes can cause skin irritation (Cooper and Johnson 1984).

Even when dry it causes gastroenteritis in cattle (Sutherland 1990). This plant is listed as an injurious weed in Nevada.

Who would have thought???

~ Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

On a brighter note: Who would have thought that IRIS roots/rhizomes are made into perfume??!

"............... use of the Iris at the present time is for the production of Orris Root (Rhizoma Iridis), which is derived from I. Germanica (TB's), I. pallida and I. Florentina."

I have a niece in Texas who asked me if I had any old discarded rhizomes over a year old sitting around, because she wanted to make this perfume. I didn't, and she became pregnant with their 3rd child, so she won't be attempting it anytime soon.

I've also read that "In ancient Greece and Rome, Orris Root (made from iris rhizomes) was largely used in perfumery."

And interestingly enough........."Germanica (TB's) and other Flag Irises are cultivated in this country for their beautiful flowers, but no attempts have been made to supply the market with the rhizomes."

I read this from this link:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/i/irises08.html

~ Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Doss,

For your birthday........................ maybe you could get the iris perfume!! It sells for $34.95 a bottle here (1.7oz.) - ---
http://www.cybercucina.com/ccdocs/products/731.html?source=FroogleDataFeed&ccag=AdGroupLerbolario

Or this one - - it has free shipping and it sells for $20.00
http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=02943&cur_letter=l&item_type=&gender=W&gs_gen=w

:-)
~ Margie

This message was edited Dec 15, 2005 7:10 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That's so interesting! Thanks for the link...I always love to learn new things, especially about irises!

It's interesting that you say that about some rhizomes being irritating to the skin. I know that in the past (when I've done a lot of digging without gloves) my hands end up raw and itchy. I've just never known why.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Now that iris perfume is probably really poison for me. I'm really allergic to perfume. But Iris flowers are one of the few fragrances that don't bother me. I'm lucky on that anyway. :-)

I must just have never handled enough but I'll be sure to wear my gloves next time.

Don't want any Iris Dermatitis. (it rhymes!)

Only Doss would have Iris Dermatitis!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Have you been talking to my dermatologist????

No! I'm not a criminologist!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday! (I've been working too hard & missing all the fun) Hope you had a good day!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You're welcome and Happy Birthday to you too Wanda. It's a busy time for birthdays. Do you think that Sagitarians love to garden because of our planets or something?

I think we're all just natural "Earth Mothers" whatever stars we fall under! :) Hard to garden now though with feet of hard crusty snow on the ground.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Brrrrrrr! No crusty snow here though. :-( I do love crusty snow and the sound of it crackling under your feet, although my plants wouldn't appreciate it at all.

I had a daylily blooming yesterday. If we don't get frost I may yet have more iris. We'll see.

doss --how dare you speak of blooming iris & daylilies to someone who is "garden-deprived"? Ha ha Oh well, gotta clean & paint the house sometime--might as well as be when it's too cold to do anything else!

Lebanon, OR

Well after freezing rain and freezeout of Portland NOT here, now we have had rain since Mon...oh lovely Oregon:)

Flowers, now Doss that is just plain cheating.

D

We hit almost 40 yesterday but without the wind and rain it was a great day for Christmas shopping.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

running slow ,
Happy Birthday Doss;
and have a great bloom season in 2006

Thumbnail by tazzy
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This has been a very fun Christmas!

Sorry about mentioning flowers Wanda. Do you want to come over and paint my house?

Tazzy - you gave me the Fancy Woman that I thought that I had. Thanks! Fancy dress is still blooming so far - but it rained again last night. I'm going to be mean and say that the yellow miniature roses are blooming like crazy. They are so happy here. And the Statice is blooming although it has been described as "weedy" by some. LOL

I'm glad that you're enjoying your rainy and 'over freezing' weather. We have to be grateful for what we get I guess.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone.

Doss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.