washing machine stopped working

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Sunday night my washing machine started making noises(DD heard them and told me) when I went downstairs to check it out the noises had stopped and there was grayish smoke and that burnt rubber smell from the belt. Well after about an hour I finaly figured out how to get the outside apart to check it, new ones dont just unscrew from the back anymore, the belt looked like it had been sliced in a couple places, not normal but I replaced it to try and see if it worked still. Dummy me put it all back together befoe I checked it but....it will not spin, motor is not locked up, if I try to start it by hand it will turn about 5 times real slow and then stop. I plan on getting inside of it again tomorrow and check around some more but need to know if there is anything I should be checking for besides an obvious broken piece(coulda severed the belt) This thing is only four years old but of course no more warranty.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Janet

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!