OK, time to confess! Bulb orders PART II.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here we go with round 2! Replacements and substitutions (since they no longer had some from last year) are in from Blooming Bulb! The sales are hot at Brent and Becky's and so many other bulb companies. The racks are clearing at Home Depot and Lowe's and other DIY stores!

We need some more confessions. :) Since there are no bulb addicts here at DG, what sneaked home with you? LOL

Whoops! Continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/549548/#new

This message was edited Dec 6, 2005 7:18 AM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I only went to look. I swear. I mean what else could I possibly need? LOL

Here is what I ordered from Brent and Becky's.

Eremurus - Romance
Eremurus - Spring ValleyHybrids
Dracunculus - vulgaris
Hemerocallis - Over There
Calochortus - venustus
Allium - Hair
Camassia - leichtlinii 'Alba'Camassia - quamash 'Blue Melody'
Ixiolirion - tataricum

I stopped at Lowe's to pick up something. I really had no reason to be anywhere near the plants and bulbs. I think the kids must have smuggled this stuff into my cart. All I know is the bill was $20 higher than it should have been and this stuff was in my car when I got home. hehehe

Species Crocus Fuscotinctus
Species Crocus Firefly
Asiatic Lily Orange Electric
Trumpet Lily Regale
Oriental Lily Casa Blanca
Trumpet Lily Pink Perfection
Asiatic Lily Medaillon
Asiatic Lily Yellow Electric
Trumpet Lily African Queen
Asiatic Lily Electric
Asiatic Lily Apeldoorn
Asiatic Lily Lollipop
Asiatic Lily Magento
Asiatic Lily Monte Negro
Asiatic Lily Jacqueline
Fritillaria Persica

A sweet DGer that saw my post about Fritillaria woes popped a box with Fritillaria rubra in the mail so I could try those again. :)

I received my replacement order from Bloomingbulb and got it all planted.

Orienpet American Style
Orienpet American Original
Asiatic Lily Commander in Chief
LA LilyDress Rehearsal
Asiatic Lily Enchantment's Memory
Asiatic Lily Coral Sunset
Oriental Lily Tom Pouce
Trumpet Lilies Amethyst Temple

I went to look up a couple of the above at Blooming Bulb and found myself needing a credit card to exit the site. giggle.

I was well behaved I think. I left with:
Trumpet Lily Regal (which is probably the same as above!)
Asiatic Lily Rhodos
Trumpet Lily Golden Temple
Asiatic Lily Chianti

See, I was really, really good! I cut myself short on time yesterday and didn't have time to stop at Lowe's between houses. Sigh...

somewhere, PA

Oh... I'm in serious lily-envy! I kept stuffing in lilies every year so this
year "limited" myself to a 25bulb pack of mixed pixie asiactics.

Maybe I'll peep over at B&B's site today. But I gotta go to work now.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't forget to check Lowe's! Last time I was there they were 50% off! I want to go back over and get more giant alliums. :) I didn't buy any this year and they are so reliable! I think they'll look neat from the road since the gardens sit back further at this house.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Badseed, thanks for starting part 2.

You are doing very well in the bulb department. Wish I were closer so I could come and see your yard next spring. Nice that you have so much space. Everything here is covered with snow and it is very cold, in the teens at night and mid-twenties day time.

DonnaS

somewhere, PA

Lowe's is actually about 20 mi away from my home and in the opposite direction from
work. So I rarely go there. Ditto for Home Depot. Its the websites that are so close and
easy to get to!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL They are dangerous too!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I was at Lowes cruising the bulb section and they were 70% off! They had everything, daff, narcisus, amaryllis, ranunculus, anemones, freesias (even doubles). They had a selection of oriental lilies but not knowing if they will make it in my area, I let go. I didn't get anything because they weren't the colors I was looking for. I did however, get an arica palm for $2, 4ft, excellent condition. They were just desperate to make room for X/mas trees. I think all the tropicals were $2, including zz plants, but those didn't look that good. Do they bounce back? I 'll go get some, maybe build me a trading stash.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2005 5:59 PM

Myrtle Beach, SC

Okay ya'll......here's my take so far in the Lily and other bulbs dept : (LOL)
I had so much fun until all the pinks started running crazily through my mind when I was trying to lay out the planting plan. Then I remember thinking "pink and yellow next to pink and white ? no..maybe next to the orange...oh wait...I have 4 different pink and whites...some bloom May-June..some July-August"..with about 20 to go....i just started digging holes and tagging them ! LOL (but I still have another batch coming in this week)

ASIATICS :
Coral Sunset (bi-color)
Stone
Lollipop
Gran Paradiso (x2 bags)
LaToya
Gran Cru
Avignon
Pink Trophy (x2 bags)
Italia
Jubileo
2 large bags mixed (12 each)

ORIENTALS:
Fire Song
Barbaresco
White Horse
Rosato
Miami
Mojave
Dizzy
Samur
Muscadet
Acapulco
Bag of 10 mixed

TRUMPETS
Golden Splendor

ORIEMPETS
HoneyMoon
Red Hot
Satisfaction
Touching (x2 paks)

Gloriosa climbing lily

Heirloom:
Black Beauty
Cernuum
Sans Souci

A gift from awonderful trade with a DG friend of 3 DIFFERENT Voodoo lily varieties (a couple of each)
Amorphophallus Konjak
Amorphophallus Bulbifer
Typhonium Bulbifer

Then to add more fuel to the fire :
Paperwhites Jerusalem
" Ziva

Muscari 20 white

AMARYLLIS:
Papillio (X2)
Blossom Peacock
Pink Floyd
Double Queen
Vivaldi
Charisma
St Joseph's Lily

Cannas---tons of them (that's another story :)

I only have room for about 50 more so wish me luck :))
BTW Badseed...that's agreat assorment of colors...I need more orangy ones :)
My Lowe's didn't have many lilies this year. They had lots of Iris though.
God bless you all. If anyones sees Gemini, tell him I posted, LOL :))
Margo

This message was edited Dec 7, 2005 9:58 PM

somewhere, PA

Oh I just can't wait to see all the pictures Margo! Wow. A lily maniac!!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Margo, great bunch of goodies you got there. July will bring such delights to your eyes and nose! Several of those lilies are on my "gotta get" list. Where did you order from?

Can't wait to see pics and hear reports of all our aquisitions and their performance.
Neal.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm thinking a trip SC is in order. I am only thinking sight seeing, really. If you happen to have a small hand trowel and say paper lunch sacks in your pocket when you arrive then so be it! :)

Edited because the puppy jumped up just as I hit send and left a trail of nonsense! LOL

This message was edited Dec 7, 2005 8:41 AM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Badseed, just stop and pick me up on the way. I'll be waiting with trowel in hand and sacks in pocket! LOL
Neal.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Margo, what time do you go to bed?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My box from Brent and Becky's arrived today! Woo hoo! Does everyone get a hand written note on their receipt? LOL I came in to warm up a bit from other planting and trying to clean up the yard. Now that my eldest is home I can run out and plant these. The Eremurus are huge! I have to also say I am really pleased with the Hems I ordered. The price was for 5 and I received 4 triples and double. I guess I'll get these done so we can run into town and buy a Christmas tree. :)

Denver, CO

This is tortue, folks. My B&B oder isn't here yet. (I'm on the wrong side of the Rocks, but at least I have Forest Farms on my side.
Our coldest temperature was 9 degrees last night. I hope that not too many places freeze too hard to dig before the box comes.
(And /Badseed: Often there is a note from the person who packed it for you. {I think they psychoanalyze us by our selection of bulbs!} They are neat people.)

Anticipating your spring pictures,
Kenton

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL This was my first order from B&B. I am impressed! I thought the little note inside was cute.

All my blooms this year will be surprises! It's not that I don't know what each plant looks like but the arrangement is completely new! I just bought a small farm with a naked landscape. Everything has been planted in raised virgin soil. I hope I did something good. ;)

Denver, CO

We will not judge that until you post some pictures next spring!
First years are so often the best. Scientifically.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I tried something new. I put in two long beds, divided them into thirds and planted each third all one color. It should be something to see but I can't say it will be something good to see. :) The end goal is to have a bunch of long beds and each one all one color with coordinated foliage plants and blooms with that color and other colors. With two mortgages and two car payments right now, I had to keep my dirt budget a bit low. We'll see...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Badseed, I love that idea! I've seen pics of gardens with monochromatic themes bleeding from one to another and it was spectacular. You'll have a rainbow leading to your home. And with your bulbs you just can't go wrong with mass plantings. Even if some things don't seem well placed to you in spring, the impact will be WOW!

OK guys and gals, I need your help here. I just got home from Lowes, thinking at 75%off, I should pic up a few Iris reticulata and maybe a few other little bulbs to naturalize. While I was looking, the manager says to me "if you'll take 'em all, you can have 'em for 10 cents a pack". At first I thought he was joking, but no. So 2 cart loads for $26 is in my living room floor. The 700 muscari, 70 muscari latifolium, 300 iris reticulata, 300 puschkinia, 40 Thalia daffs, and 12 white hyacinths that I actually wanted was a great deal. And the tulips, various other daffs, various crocus, and several hundred Dutch Iris are a big plus. But, I have 320 paperwhites, and 39 packs of 28 mixed freesia and a few ranunculus that I have no use for. I may pot up a few pots of paperwhites. Any warm zoners (or any of you lucky dogs with a greenhouse!) out there who'd like a bunch of freesia or anyone want to play with forcing some paperwhites dmail me. I'll load you up!
Neal.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Ohhhh... me, me, me....any of them....any color will be great. As you saw above I only ordered 20 new paperwhites and I didn't get any freesias at all...yet,LOL.
I can Paypal you or send you a money order, whichever is best for you. OR if you tell me which of the bulbs I have you are interested in, I will see if they have more of them and we can trade. Totally up to you...just let me know which ones are on your "wish list". fun, fun, fun.....I love this place !!!
God bless, Margo

Badseed...it does sound gorgeous...wish I had thought of that. Ohhh...I usually go to bed around 11:00 PM with my laptop...sleep usually comes around 2 AM....fortunately, I am retired, LOL
Ya'll come for a visit...I'll send you home with bulbs and Brug cuttings for sure !!

This message was edited Dec 7, 2005 10:02 PM

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh, Neal, what good fortune! Aren't you just dizzy with your treasures? $26.00! Wish we had a Lowes here.

Denver, CO

Neal! Dream come true, eh?

Dang, my suggesion is to find a sunny spot of grass (your yard or otherwise!) and load it with those I. reticulata. They usually come up before a mowing. Even if not, only an evil-hearted person would mow a giant puddle of blue. Same can be done to the non-dutch crocus.

But, If you find yourelf in a pinch and can do nothing else with them, (seriously: "Dang things, I just want to throw them away.") I would take Muscari latifolium, Puschkinnia, or Iris reticulata. I could continue to reimburse you with things from my trade list, from my coming B&B order, or otherwise.

Kenton.

Corte Madera, CA

oh, my. this is so much fun. i was trying my best not to wander off here, because i am a sucker for daffodils and tulips. then last march, i saw some lilies at costco and a couple of cultivars a try.

i only have "noblesse" and "tom pouce" but i have fallen in love. can't wait for costco to release their selection. lol.

so tempting to get the jackson & perkins offer: 150 for $69.95. 100 asiatic and 50 oriental.

margo, saw you little garden helper. what a cutie!

Myrtle Beach, SC

Oh AnnaPet...always great to see you! That is a terrific J & P offer !!
Go see Brentandbeckysbulbs.com too. I am sure there are many more great sales right now.
I don't have the 2 you have but I saw their pictures !! Gorgeous ! I would buy every single Lily out there if I had room for them all. Lilies are my current "got to have it" garden finds right now. Fortunately, Jack is as obsessed as I am LOL God bless, Margo

Denver, CO

I'm afraid that B & B's Season ended Dec. 5. I wish it would have ended sooner, because a garden client of mine splurged TWICE on them. Hundreds of bulbs; and who gets to plant them?
Kenton

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
Hard frozen ground here but the feeding frenzy is fun to watch. Love that deal, Neal (no pun intended). My big bulb news is that I've got a cybister hippeastrum (amaryllis) blooming here that is quite phenomenal. 'Merengue'. Can't wait to see if both stalks bloom at the same time.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's a closeup.

Thumbnail by boojum
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROTFL! Neal!!! I can just picture you sitting in the middle of a huge heap of bulbs, grinning from ear to ear!

I admit I'm tempted by the freesia & ranunculus, but I'd better save the rest of my light shelf space for spring seedlings.....

I was wondering if you could make a donation to a school or senior center, but I suppose the scent of the freesia and paperwhites might be problematic in public places? I think ZZTopsoil does seed planting projects with his students... or perhaps a local scout troup or youth group could pot up the paperwhites as a fundraiser? (You can take their pre-bargain value as a tax deduction, too.)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OH gemini! I really wish I would have asked now! LOL I joked about asking for a deal on the bulbs when I was at Lowe's. sigh...

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Badseed - Go back! Now that gemini has shown us how it's done... LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL It's not quite that easy anymore. I have to go 25-35 minutes to get to one now. I was going to go today until I saw the weather report. LOL

Corte Madera, CA

wow, neal. i'd feel guilty d-mailing you because i've been hanging out at the brugs forum the last few months. lol. was trying not to get tempted to buy more after "confessions part i" - - - but now, i'm already waiting for costco's lilies.

extremely fortunate that i can plant daffs and tulips here until january. i bought a few more since "part i" all peony-flowering tulips:

14 straberries and cream
14 lilac perfection
14 mount tacoma
14 queen of the congo

we don't have lowe's nearby (sigh).

annapet

Corte Madera, CA

hi, chele - - - we cross-posted. i type real slow. come hang around with us at the brug forum sometimes. (btw, the GL you gave me is STILL the PERKIEST brug i have. can't wait for it to bloom).

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am happy to hear that! If mine pull out of winter okay, I'll have more to share. :) It is nice to see you!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Chele, just saw the weather news. What is that big white blob over Ohio ? We have nice clear sky here tonight. Bet you wouldn't be able to plant bulbs here. We have had a nice "Warm" Dec., it's a pultry -2º right now. About the 5th night in arow below zero.
Shivering,
Bernie

somewhere, PA

Hey - what's going on here! We were harvesting tomatoes through
most of Nov and now we've had snow on the ground almost a week
and another big storm is on its way! I hope this means we'll have
an early spring!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

ROTF Bernie! It is a balmy 30 here but feels like 21! LOL Isn't that white blob lovely? I'd say we have at least 3" right now. Gotta said the road crew got here faster than they ever did at my old house. We were considered a tertiary road and got plowed and salted about 3 days after the snow. Geesh! A bunch of the people that work at Airborne Express cut through here and live around here so I guess they make this road a priority. It also connects the two major roadways here. I am SO glad I got my bulbs yesterday and planted them!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

boojum, what a beautiful amaryllis. Have never grown that one. DonnaS

Thanks, Donna. Weird story-I got it at my local used-to-be-Agway in a bin. I thought I was getting papillio (that was the pic on the bin). I wrote to Veronica Read to identify it knowing she was an expert on cybisters. It's a hybrid by the late Fred Meyer. I have yet to find one online so I feel extremely lucky to have been the recipient of a bulb sorter's error!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.