Show me your favorite NOID...

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

There are so many beautiful AV's with NO Id we find at the stores...I have tons of them and love them.
I'd like to see pics of what your favorites are.

Thanks,
MsC

Silver Spring, MD

What a great idea! Thanks for posting it. Here's one of my favorites. The color is light blue. The bloom is single star and slightly frilled. The leaves are serrated and slightly wavy. The color of the leaves is a dusty grey green.

Nanna

This message was edited Dec 5, 2005 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

Here is another. It looks like Opitmara Dolly. The pictures appears blue but the actural color is a very rich purple and the blooms are in heavy clusters.

Nanna

This message was edited Dec 5, 2005 6:13 PM

Thumbnail by nannanavarro

Oh Nanna both of those are stunning!

Is the first one a baby blue color??? That's the color it appears on my screen.

I love that Opt Dolly one too I have it as well and am waiting for it to re bloom.

MsC

Silver Spring, MD

The color of the first one is very true. I think baby blue is a good name for the color. I call it Moonglow. It kind of shimmers.

Nanna

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow!! Your violets are beauties. I love what you believe is Optimara Dolly. Your plant has so many flowers, it appears to be holding up a bouquet!

Stephanie

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nanna I think it may be Rhapsodie Dolly which is still Optimara series.
Your plants are beautiful.
Your First one looks just like Rhapsodie Clementine.
I like the Optimar's Rhapsodie Series. I have a couple babies.
I don't have any noids but look forward to looking at all your pretty pictures, Allison

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Denver, CO

Here are two of my old noids that just started to bloom. They are from Anthoflores. I particularly like the buds on the blueish one; they are edged in a white-green.
Kenton

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Kenton,

Those are great pics of your plants! I love the shape of the blossoms on the purple one.

Stephanie

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautiful Kenton ,
Please show your fish :)) I showed my husband he loved it :))

He said with gift money Mom we should get one !!! We want to put
plants live ones inside . Do you have ideas ? He will also set it up
with light over for me to grow some wicked AV's :)) !!!!!
Thanks for the great idea.
Allison

Kenton,
Beauties for sure!

MsC

(Zone 7b)

Love that red one in the background, can we have a close-up of that one, please please??

Denver, CO

2Zeus: A red closeup and a better one of the blue-thing tonight. Did you see my note to you under the "another violet sucker' thread?

Allison, live plants need fish for company (that don't eat them) and most importantly, lots of light, with which you are well-versed. I expect you will expand upon and impove my funnny idea.
I have a huge four-compartment plexi cabinet thing that is beginning to beg for some violets... I should send a picture and see what you folks suggest.

Kenton

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Kenton
Thanks for your great ideas and help :)) Yes pictures ! Love them ! Are your leaves doing ok ? Allison

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The NoID I call "Big Blue" is one of my favorites because it blooms constantly and profusely, and it's just so tough! It loves to live in a self-watering pot, so it's one of my favorites to propagate as a gift to somebody who hasn't grown AVs before.

Also, it gets impressively large....

DH is on the computer that has the photos, but "Big Blue" is the third pic down on this thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/507445/

(The "purple star" NoID below it is another big, dependable one that also has become one of my favorites for sharing.)

Denver, CO

No more cheesball pictures!
Here is my "Big Blue" Noid:

Just Stunning!

MsC

Denver, CO

And the Single-red Noid as requested:
It is a sort of fuschia-red, I enjoy it's fine ruffles.

Denver, CO

That blue thing is a big-flowered bugger, too. I would that it had it's name!
Kenton

Denver, CO

And here is an old Noid I have separated a few times. (I must have given them away, as I only seem to have this one now.) It refuses to have less than five crowns at once. It has been knocked off the kitchen table many times to recover quikly, as it is often there being shown off, (even though it is pink: I like the flowers standing up like that.)

Is it a trailer, then?
Kenton

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

James excellent pictures. Love your blue with white edge and your Red. Yes I am pretty sure your pink one is a great growing Trailer :))
Where did you get it ? It's sure is wonderful ! Allison

Denver, CO

Thanks, Allison. Where: I have no idea!!! Terrible, isn't it?
Kenton J.

Kenton,
That's a beautiful red!
I have yet to see a real RED in person. The closest I have is my Winter Warrior and it's a beautiful Burgundy/Merlot color.

Hey ,you DO have a trailer!!! lol :-D

I wanta piece of that Pretty Pink baby, pretty please!
I don't care if it has no name.

I'm sure I can find something on my shelf you'd enjoy???

MsC

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Well there's probaly at least 50 names Av trailers it looks like. I almost did send trailer Fairy Fountains but I did not beacasue of the ink flowers. Good thing their a close match !
I know I sent you leaves and plants for about five trailers hmmmm I forgot which ones wonder if their all pink. lol no I don't think so :))
Yes tell Santa HD and Lowes has the nice plastic heavy plant stands that can be washed with bleach for about $ 40.00 and 4 ft. double light fixtures for about $ 7.00 and then the gro-lights :)). I like either gro-lights. Or cool white . Good luck hope Santa brings them . Allison

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I just checked Kenton :)) These are the "other "trailers you have to grow, trade ...I just love growing all trailers :))
Rob's Sticky Wicket ,Rob's Toorooka ,
Orchid Trail ,ANGEL TEARS TRAIL,and
SHIAWASEE TRAIL :))
Kenton I saw a " Space Cadet" Av but much smaller baby than the one I sent you sell on Ebay for like $ 15.00 :)) I was like where's my plant .. lol No I knew I sent it to you.! I always try to send only my best to people ! I do have Space Cadet leaves down !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I posted this back in 2004 and was asking what it might be.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1073799
Here are some additional pictures of it.
I like it because it has ruffled leaves, with a wonderful burgandy on the underside of the leaves, the bloom is a beautiful purple...even though it shows up as blue on the photos with a tinge of green around the edges. Note...I will be posting several new pics of this plant...who knows...maybe some of you will know it's name...I have now had for approx. 9 years.

Deb

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

And another pic of the flower

Thumbnail by Debsroots
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

a picture of the leaves

Thumbnail by Debsroots
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

and final pic...a bloom plus some buds

Thumbnail by Debsroots
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Deb I see Green in the bloom also :)) It's gorgeous ! You have had it for nine years ?
I'll keep an eye out for a plant at least nine years old. It could have been a Noid ? Allison

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Deb when I saw the green in your flower and wzvy leaves red /back
first thought was Blueberry mint .
Now taking into nine years and environmental changes we could be getting close ?
Blueberry Mint 7201 10/21/1989 S. Sorano Standard
Semidouble dark blue star ruffled green/edge. , some white edges.

Dark green, ruffled redback.
Don't really think it's it but upu just never know. Allison

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Nope Allison...it has never looked like that. I could be off a little on the years...but I know I'm pretty close. It has always just had the 6 single petals...if that's what you call them. Even if I never know its name...I still just luv it.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

How about Windy Day ? I hate to say this it may be impossible to find it. Sorry.
Allson

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Den yes i's Gorgeous. Allison

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Since I don't have many AV's and all are noid's (except those that Allison sent), it's easy to choose favorites.
This is my favorite green and yellow variegated leaved one.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

ANd this is my favorite green and white and pink variegated.

(Zone 7b)

gasp! drool! covet!
LOVE that red, never seen anything close to that colour in an AV!!
and the rest are luscious, too - you guys are awful enablers!!!

Here's my favorite pink/white dbl bloom.

and finally, the purple/white dbl bloom. But not all the flowers are the same. Some have less white on the edges.

Easy to choose favorites. These are the only ones blooming. Not too bad for $2.99 at home depot.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Begoniathse two noids are gorgeous )) I love the variegtion in both of them ! I can't wait to see your new varigated babies grown up ! Thanks for sharing your plants are wonderful! Allison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.