Trades or Hot Tips for Hot Pink oFuschia orDark Pink dahlias

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I am on the hunt: right now for anyone's favorite small to medium size hot pink, bright pink, really dark pink or fuschia dahlias. I was really looking for a Ball or Mini Ball, but have got some good leads on those already, and am now just open to any and all suggestions. Including blends or bi colors. I just want some hot pink!

Any ideas? I'm already sold on Fire Magic. I like waterlilies, Formal and informal decs the best, but am willing to look at anything you think is a good pink candidate.

Here's Cherrio one of my favorites and that is the sort of color I'm after.

thanks!
Annie

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch,
I don't have much hot pink. Here's another one of my unknown pinks.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Now here's hot pink. Not a dahlia though - is that half right?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Half right and a good color. Now what would those little pinks be and could you cut them? That's a great path BTW!

And your unknown lighter pink is one heck of a bloomer, alas, lighter pink.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Annie,

It's "Alma Potschke" aster. Very common - mine was a monster. I gave away half of it this fall. I would think the flowers would last pretty well. Mrs. Bigcityal doesn't like me bringing in flowers from the garden for fear of critters - give me a break. My entire property - and I'm not kidding - I have redid in the last 3 years, but the path and beds in back are my sanctuary. Here's looking the other way.
Al

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

l absolutely LOVE 'Alma Potschke'. If you are looking for hot pink in something other than dahlias, Annie, look no more. 'Alma Potschke' looks very pretty planted with Boltonia 'Snowbank'.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, which of you are willing to spare me a little bit of Alma next Spring? Anyone? Anyone? I love asters with dahlias and have only lavender and purples: no names as they were gifts from neighbors. Suddenly I'm into pink!

Big City Al, Gift idea for your wife: A can of Raid and mosquito netting! LOL The other day I dusted my kitchen window where I put many bouquets through the summer and there, tucked back in the window channel, was a crispified and quite dead earwig! I think if we knew of all the bugs (seen and unseen) inside one's house at any given moment, we'd all pack up and head for outerspace, or somewhere bugless. For me, it's those dang dustmites in my eyelashes that seem to bother me most....

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

My Alma got battered when the fence was replaced so she is in recovery mode and won't be ready to divide next spring. If someone can tell me how to make cuttings from asters, and if you remind me to do it in the spring, I will be happy to send you some cuttings. Alma really is a knockout, definitely worth having. .

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch,
I'm sure I could get you some. Not all plants have their time, but when it's Alma's time she will not be denied! Early mid fall. I bought a much taller pink aster at a house sale last year that I haven't ID'd yet also. I'm about out of pink plants to show you - here's a Tamarisk

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, my camera always changes the color of reds and purples....and some colors in between....so I know this is a little too pink than it really is, but I remember this one being a really outstanding color. This is Purple Gem:

Thumbnail by mgh
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch,
I look at your trade list and it makes me feel lazy computer entrywise.
This is fuschia - half wrong again.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Aptos, CA

Hi Pooch...You must have "Leota Mace"??? She is really hot pink!!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Annie, I have a pink ball that I consider a bright clear pink but I don't think I would call it hot pink like your photo. It is called Stolze von Berlin, one of my favorites in the pinks. It usually produces lots of tubers but this year it wasn't so hot. It did produce tubers but then I was disappointed in the performance of lots of my dahlias. I think my location was poor. So here it is;

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Another shot, she is a prolific bloomer too.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Great ideas all of you. Leota Mace is truly bright pink!
Candy Purple Gem is very pretty but similar to others I have already and a bit too purply.
Lenjo- Stolze von Berlin is a beauty similar to my Sandra, but I consider Sandra to be a medium pink at best. Does it really bloom as in this link?
http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=11148

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Not exactly , Annie, they are calling it a pompon and it isn't, it is a ball. The color in that photo is stunning and the petals are smaller than what I have. I have a little pink pompon called Joanna Petit that never multiplies worth beans that reminds me of that photo. Swan Island has a pink ball very similar to Stolze von Berlin and it is called Rebecca Lynn.http://www.dahlias.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=236, I hope this link works.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes! Rebecca Lynn also was a highly recommended pink ball to try. It will be so tough to choose.... I'll have to put names in a hat and draw some out LOL!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pooch,

If you like pink and asters with dahlias, check this out: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/12717/ I am completely in love with this aster/may be redefined as something else/mum! It's very pretty in all the pictures. I am quite besotted.

xxxx, Carrie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Still waiting on those Hot Tips } ; )

Hey Pooch - this one is cool at Connell'

I'm fighting this link - it's Northwest Cosmos

http://www.connells-dahlias.com/connells_dahlias_web_page_345.htm

This message was edited Dec 15, 2005 8:02 AM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch,
Here's some EARLY season pink for you.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Annie, I ordered Madissen Jayne from Connells this year. It is a hot pink waterlily, smal 4" to 6" and a 4' bush. I can't say for sure if it's as pink as they say but she's mine and if it ever gets warm enough to plant I will find out. If so , I will save you a tuber if you are interested and I have one.

Nadine

Thumbnail by willow22552
Chicago, IL

Hi Pooch,

Karma fuschiana will probably be fuschia color. I will save more tubers for you, if you like.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

POOCH,
I might have something for you, have you seen my list of my extras?? Send me a d-mail, and I will try for some pics from offa the pkg.

Best Regards;
bluelytes

Chicago, IL

Pooch,
How about 'Marvelous Mans'?

http://www.connells-dahlias.com/connells_dahlias_web_page_092.htm

I'll save tubers for you. I got a couple right now too.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL you guys are all too helpful! I am just about out of space for this year and have many cuttings to plant out as well, but those are all great suggestions.

I did nab Leota Mace at Sudhira's direction from Dan the Dahlia Man who was so nice to accommodate replacing a bad tuber; he threw in an extra variety too. Dan's got my high praise.

Al what is that lovely pink bloomer? Lovely flowers Willow and Pinai. I'll look forward to your reports as the season progresses.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch,
that's Rosey Lights azalea, not real big - that shrub is 3 years old.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, I was going to guess azalea based on the bloom, but the leaves threw me. I have about a 5 yr old "Cheerful Giant" yellow azalea that has bloomed exactly zero times after I got it with a bloom present. I've put it in its permanent home in the semi-shade bed so, if nothing else, it has a few leaves.

Nice color there Al.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Elma Elizabeth. Big and pretty

Thumbnail by thripmaster
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh, Oooh, Pitimpinai honored me with a tuber of Elma Elizabeth this year. I do believe it's broken ground too- have to check for sure. That's a big bold beauty. Thanks, Nai!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

You will love it and it makes nice big tubers to share. Prepare to stake her up though! How about this well behaved Lowes Special. Cactus Jane. No staking needed here and doesn't mind HOT. Great one for us few southern dahlia growers.

Thumbnail by thripmaster
Chicago, IL

You're welcome, Pooch. She's a wonderful flower maker too. :-) And has long, sturdy stem.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Well this is a peony not a dahlia... but the colour is right!

Thumbnail by tombaak
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

OMG Tombaak that is just unfairly beautiful! I could sit and stare at all that fine detail and color forever. Do you know the name of the non-dahlia-that-is-still-very-beautiful? It is almost neon looking. Very nice!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's some hot pink waterlillies.

Taken at the UMW Roundup today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Annie - I have some off topic coneflower pics I'll post for you

Here's Pixie Meadowbrite - about 18" tall

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's Razzamatazz

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)