Kid Christmas Crafts

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi guys,

Stella is having a little friend over to stay the night tonight. Whenever we have a sleepover, I always try to be prepared with some artsy thing for them to do together. It keeps them from making me crazy, and they have fun doing it :) Usually it's some paper craft, or painting, or making cookies and decorating them or something. Anyway, I thought we'd be festive tonight and do something Christmas-ish. I had wanted to do the cinnamon dough recipe (because I love cinnamon), but don't want to have to pay for ton of cinnamon (though now it occurs to me that I might be able to get it cheap at the dollar store). Anyway, I've settled on salt-dough ornaments. I think I'll make up a few batches ahead of time in a few different colors. I think this way the girls can get really creative without waiting for me to "get my act together" :)

All the recipes I've found seem to be as follows:

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
0.5 -1 cup water (depends on the consistency, humidity, etc.)

Mix it up, roll it out, have fun! :) They say it can be air dried over a few days, or dried more rapidly in the oven at 250-350 degrees, until it's hard/dry. I haven't done it myself yet, but there are a few tips that seemed very helpful:

*If the ornaments start to brown before they're done, cover with aluminum foil.
*Poke holes for a hanger with a staw rather than a toothpick.
*If you want this dough just for playing with (not baking/drying), then add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to keep it from drying out
*Can be painted or stuff glued to it after it's dry.
*Or you can color it when it's in "dough" form with food coloring or tempera paint.

Another cool thing I found (and also have not tried yet) is "homemade glitter". This is good for me, as I'm broke! LOL

3 Tablespoons salt in a sealable baggie
2 drops (ish) of food coloring

Smoosh them together in the bag and then open the bag up to let it dry (approx. 1/2 day). Put it in a salt shaker, or let them pinch n sprinkle :)

I thought it might be helpful to others for me to post my research in one place for you guys to use. :) I'm off to make all this stuff now and will post pics when we're done! :)

Please post other cool holiday craft ideas for kids (or improvements on my suggestion) here! I'm excited to get Stella going on these things :)

Sarah

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!