Hardy Rootstocks?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know anything about these? I have 2 tress,one is a peach,that the graft died on,it was one of those sunsation ,tiny ,dwarf peach trees,lasted for years ,then last year it just up and died,but the rootstock lived,so I threw it in the ground and it made it through our winter.What I want to know is it going to be some sort of wild peach? or a cultivar that has no fruit? Can I graft a peach branch from say ,a relience peach on to it?The other was a plum tree that got run over one time too many.It was a green gage plum or a santa rosa. The tree has thorns now ,what is it ? Can I graft on to it,Can anyone help??crestedchic

There are a multitude of specialty rootstocks used and most do not produce desirable fruit. Peaches and plums are usually grafted onto something in the prunus family. There really isn't any way of telling what yours was grafted on specifically. Grafting/budding is a pretty exact science and it has to be done at the correct time. Generally speaking you don't graft branches, usually it's just a bud or a short young piece of wood. Here is a link with additional information...http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/cass/horticulture/fruit/graft.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.