BEGINNER GARDENER NEEDING TO LEARN WHAT I NEED

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

I am going to do some planting in a very challenging situation. I have been told that before I plant, I will need to amend my soil and mulch.

I have no idea where to begin. What is "amend" and what is "mulch".

I live in Southern California - Orange County. I was thinking of starting out getting it at Home Depot or Lowes and have them deliver. I am a single lady and my home is 4 stories with my yard wrapping all the way up.

Any help on the who, how, what and why would be wonderful.

Thanks
Sherri

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Sherri. Before folks here can give you good advice, I guess we need to know what you want to plant: ornamentals, trees, veggies, etc? I recommend talking with your local cooperative extension: they'll have tons of pamphlets and recommended varities, as well as amendment suggestions.

And "amending" is just that: you're adjusting/changing the soil to make it nice and soft so plants can reach around in it w/ their roots, and to make it full of the minerals and nutrients they need.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I'd like to see pics of a four story gardening space. That sounds incredibly beautiful. Welcome!

best,
don

Denver, CO

Welcome, Sherri.
Some folks use the word 'mulch' in the use of any soil amendment. Look those words up in the Garden Terms database. Old-time no-nonsense gardeners will tell you to find someone with horses and have them haul as much manure as possible to you. (many will deliver, glad to get rid of it. Utility stores Like Home Depot and Lowe's do not know much and exist only to make money, remember)
There are many ways of improving soil, and many people suggest and use many different materials. Go for what is available to you, and has the highest organic content, and start a compost pile. Searching this forum and the internet will yeild all sorts of good info.

The key, in my opinion, to gardening, is Soil Amendment.
Sounds like your place has all sorts of potential.

Kenton

Below: Garden foundations.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

I live in an area with lots of horses......wow. I can start asking around.

I plan on taking pictures this weekend. I will post them. My yard is fairly large and it will take a few photos. My yard is probably considered one of the most challenging around.

1700 feet above sea level, Woodland Canyon region, sloped, surrounded by california oak trees which you are not suppose to water, and more than 50% of the time its in shade. So I need dry shade plants that can survive under oak trees. Ivy keeps popping up everywhere so I have to keep weeding it out. I hate ivy.

On top of that - I am a cottage garden lover. I think I purchased the wrong house :)

Sherri

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Dec 2, 2005 11:39 AM

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

don't give up yet. Jasmine, Let us see that pic. Mike

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

I took some photos of my yard. I didnt capture my lower slope, but hopefully you can get the idea of what my challenge is.

I also want to point out that my entire yard used to be filled with Ivy. I have had it pulled out and occassionally hire someone to pull out the regrowth. I think I have had it pulled enough that the root system is gone.

Here is the website I created:

http://exquisiteassistant.com/YARD%2012-05.htm

Hopefully this helps.

Sherri

This message was edited Dec 27, 2005 4:48 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.