Compact ? Cherry Laurel 12' T X 10' W

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

My neighbor in CA recently planted this tree just inside his lot line. You will see from the pictures that if it gets 10 wide it will cover my side walkway. In addition to that concern, could the roots break up my walkway.

Would it be better to move it now or move it when it becomes a problem, IF it becomes a problem?

Thank you
arlene

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Arlene, it looks like no one else wants to bite on this. I can't grow cherry laurel here in Illinois so I'm the wrong one to respond. But you seem to have two choices, assuming the tree's owner agrees:

1. Move it now, not later; or

2. Leave it until and unless it begins to become a problem, then cut it down.

I doubt you will see any pavement damage from this tree during your lifetime, but if you want to hedge your bets then install a plastic or treated-fabric vertical root barrier at the edge of the pavement. These barriers work to varying degrees, deflecting root growth downward. The roots might return to the surface if they can grow under the barrier, but their ability to heave your sidewalk will have been diminished and delayed.

Branch encroachment over your sidewalk will need to be addressed via selective pruning (not shearing, unless the whole tree is to be sheared regularly -- yuck). The sooner you begin to take small nibbles at it, the less grotesque it will look later. Try to envision which branches are heading for trouble, and redirect them by pruning to a side branch or remove them entirely. This requires the neighbor's consent because the best way to prune them is not to clip only the ends that extend across his property line.

Guy S.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Guy

You are so brave to answer; I will try to work with the neighbor. in Ca everything is invasivive eventually.

Good to know it won't afect the sidewalk.

Regards,
a

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.