The hybrid that might not make it to the public

Louisville, KY

Well when I first saw this one as a seedling I was extremely excited. It had a very odd look to it. As it matured I figured no matter what I would name it and release it. But as the plant matured it began to frustrate me. It had odd roundish dark leaves that came out multicolored but would not produce a bloom. Finally after a full summer it did produce a very very small red flower. Then another bracket I was hoping it would produce larger flowers this time but still small red flowers. It grew to about 7 ft tall. I have thought about it and am considering not to release it but rather just breed with it more. I do not want to be known for releasing hybrids that do not perform well and this one has had a hard time proving it to me. I will work on it next year with breeding. I doubt I will release any unless someone ask solely for it in the spring.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

another pic

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The leaves are beautiful.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The leaves are indeed nice, and I like the rounded shape to them. And the flower reminds me of a haliconia. I can see breeding potential there.
Neal.

Piqua, OH(Zone 5b)

With foliage that beautiful, I wouldn't care if it didn't produce a bloom. I'd grow it for the foliage. Please keep breeding it. I'd love to have one and I'm sure lots of people would, too. Look at the popularity of Caladiums. I plant some every year to add extra color. I also choose Hostas for the foliage.

And you never know, it might develop better blooms as it matures.

Suzanne

Louisville, KY

another pic of the foliage. THANKS

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I think the leaves are awesome! They have a sheen to them.
:) Donna

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I would grow it for the foliage, I love the dark leaves.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

If CannaAsksForMore orders from you Brian please suggest this one to him ....... I'd love to see it available in Canada. :)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Brian...I would order it from you, just for the foliage here in Hawaii!!!

Myrtle Beach, SC

Yes....send one to me in Myrtle Beach, SC....lovely leaves !!
Margo

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I love the foliage! Glad to see you on DG too. I will start watching for canna threads again!
Susan
=^..^=

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Great foliage, Brian. You've got something special there.....Work with it!! And don't forget to share.....

:-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That 2nd pic looks like there is some subtle striping in the leaves. Is that so, or just the pic?

Louisville, KY

when the leaves first come out they are multicolored as they harden off they get darker but most have this coloration in them.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm a foliage fanatic, also.... and often don't even get flowers when the growing season is shorter than normal due to late frost, cold and rainy springs, etc....so I'd buy it for the foliage, too!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I want one too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.