Found a Potatoe

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I know most of you wouldn't get excited about this, but I am.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Piqua, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Donna,

Why not get excited? Hasn’t everyone experienced that excited feeling when something you grew produced a surprise? That’s part of the fun of gardening when you get those unexpected bonuses. Actually, that would make an interesting thread. We could call it ‘Surprise!’

I still remember the pleasure and excitement I received from watching a really ratty looking, half dead mystery plant turn into one of the most gorgeous Monardas I've ever had. It produced super large bright red blooms. I really enjoyed watching the changes as it grew. Unfortunately, my dogs took a liking to it and decided to help water it.

Does anyone else have a story or photo to share?

Suzanne

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Suzanne! I know to alot of people down south the air potatoe vine grow out of control. Well that sure won't happen to me with this plant.

Piqua, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know...it looks very healthy to me. Are you sure it won't go gonzo? It could be plotting right now "today the other plants, tomorrow the house".

I had a plant like that. It rooted itself into the pots around it, the carpet, the wall and grew underneath the windowsill where a portion of it was hanging outside the window. It was a Pothos and my sister started calling it "The Monster Plant". It got huge!

I ended up giving it away because it was scaring the kids. LOL

Suzanne

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That sounds like my philo brazil. It started to climb up the walls...lol.

Piqua, OH(Zone 5b)

Philo brazil, is that a Philodendron? I think Pothos and Philodendron might be of the same family. But I wouldn't swear to that.

Suzanne

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

cool. i got excited when mine had a potatoe on him too. i dragged dh out there to see it.

i got it off the vine before the frost hit so i will plant him in the spring. congrats!!!

Prescott, AZ

I just received a couple of potatoes from a DG member. And of course I'm now searching high and low for information on it. Can you pot them up now? Or just store in a cool place until summer?

Thanks for any info.
Tami

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Tami, this is for you. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32235///

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.