New gardening catalogs

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

It seems that southern gardening is mostly the talk on this forum now. That leaves me out. So I am starting something for us northern gardeners...........maybe some are glad to let it rest.

I have already gotten 4 catalogs and have ordered from 2.

I have :
Twilley's
Pinetree
Stokes
Seeds of Change

More will come like: Willhite's, Johnny's, Burpee, Park's, Jung, Vermont Bean and Seed, and several more.

How about you?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I am doing all my shopping online this year - trying to save a few trees I hope!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I can't help it; as much as I'd like to save a few trees, there is something that satisfies the bones deep inside me to sit around a fire with lots of hot tea and a stack of lovely seed catalogs with their seductive come-ons. I've planted at least a million imaginary acres of perfect, blemish-free veggies and lush, beguiling flowers over the years!

The first snow of my first winter in snow country hit the ground this afternoon and has blanketed everything in chilly white - I KNOW I will need some brightly colored catalogs to keep me hanging on this year!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

check out www.njtomato.com
you can get GIANT tomato seeds from them for one dollar. last year i got seeds from a tomato that weight over five pounds. the one i grew turned out to be only 1 1/4 pound but it was great.

also try www.highaltitudeseeds.com

also getting the usualy from johnnys and tomato growers

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Giant Tomato seeds for a dollar? You know what I am going to have to add to my list now...

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Anyone get the TGS catalog? Should be out by now...

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Tplant,

Haven't seen mine yet, got Stokes, Totally Tomatoes and Vermont Seed & Bean catalogs so far. ☺

I've not recieved any? Guess So.Fl. is on the bottom of their list.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

still haven't gotten a darm thing yet.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Me neither. Sigh.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You guys need to get on the list for early senders. Twilleys, Pinetree, Totally Tomatoes etc mail early.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Farmerdill. I went to their web sites and requested a print version. Maybe I'll get some catalogues soon? HERBIE43, sign up before winter withdrawal gets too bad! LOL

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

I noticed that Totally Tomatoes lists a crop failure for their "exclusive" Big Zac Hybrid tomatoes. Their description says that they "repeatedly tip the scales at an amazing 4 to 6 lbs." I think it would be fun to grow tomatoes that big.

MM

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

MM,

Vermont Bean & Seed also lists Big Zac as "crop failure". It must be they buy in bulk and their supplier had a crop failure. Wonder if they'll be hard to find this year?

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Both are affiliated with Jung Seed. I think those big tomatoes sound fun too. Maybe next year.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They have been available for about a decade. Developed by a New Jersey gardener so the supply of seeds has always been slim. Even the big boys have crop failures some years, A small operation is even more iffy. Like most giant vegetables they are developed more for show than for eating.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Definitely agree with F'Dill..... I'm in for FLAVOR , NOT size!!!

LD

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

www.pandpseed.com has giant seeds. of all vegetables.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Got my first one today, Parks.
Andy P

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i've e-mailed and phoned a bunch of seed companies that i get seeds from and they promise i will be getting them sooooon.
i hate this.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I received my Baker Creek Heirloom Seed catalog yesterday. Sure looks good!
Flip

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have recently gotten Baker Creek, Vermont Bean Seed, and Fedco catalogs.

Fedco has dropped the Seminis Seed line because Monsanto bought them out. Seminis was in financial trouble. I personally don't like their decision as I am not a diehard in some of the enviro struggles.

Wimauma, FL(Zone 9b)

I haven't been able to wait for catalogs! I received a few but already ordered online from Valueseeds (first time for them) Park's, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, J L Hudson and Vermont Bean Seed. I am still perusing Fedco, Heirloom Seeds, Harvest Moon Seeds, Pinetree and Kitazawa. I printed the Fedco catalog out... over 100 pages! There are things I want from each but I don't want to incur that many shipping charges : (

I am in FL now, and we plant at this time of year. I really miss the excitement of getting the catalogs and dreaming for a while before I face the reality of having to make my decisions and get the stuff in the ground. Not complaining, mind you - but it is different when the "new season" for planting starts in August/September.

Diane

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Diane,
I understand your "pain". of no vacation from gardening. Up here we get a really nice break fron lawn mowing and weeding and such.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I was given a Big Zach tomato plant this year, and the tomatoes were huge. Real tasty too. I saved a few seeds, so I am planting them again next year.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Just got my favorite: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

Just got my favorite "Tomato Growers Supply"

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Got mine on Monday as well. So far it's that, Parks, Pinetree, Nichols, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Seeds of Change, Seed Savers Exchange... and a couple of others. I'm already starting to lose track.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.