Sotring lily bulbs over winter

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

If I were to purchase lilies at end of year sales, and couldn't get them in the ground...could they be stored over winter to be planted spring of 2006?

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

...Meant to say ....Storing...:(

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

in the fridge, in baggies of peat moss/vermiculite/potting soil anything but NOT Wood or paper.

You might go out with a kettle of hot water to see if you can get your spade down past the 4 or so inches of frozen soil. If so, then plant your lilies, eithr directly into the soil or bury pots if you have potted them up. You might then want to put a bag of leaves over them so they take longer to freeze and they might start rooting.

We are at -9C here and I planted some more bulbs last week.
Inanda

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Inanda, since we're on the subject ~ do you know how cold and how long of a time period lilies need to bloom again? For example; I understand hostas need about 40 days of cold (near freezing?) to put out new foliage and bloom.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2005 8:11 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just planted more bulbs a couple of days ago. The top of the soil is crusty with ice but it was easy enough to flip off a 'lid' even with a small hand trowel. The ground underneath is still friable. :)

I have more bulbs on the way and am also wanting to go back to Lowe's to raid the clearance bulbs. LOL

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hi Moby,

Wasn't on line too much for awhile. Lilies in my fridge get 12 weeks of cold. Then into the warmth, under lights. Or you can leave in the fridge till you want to bring them out. Just watch them to make sure they don't start sprouting. If they do, bring them out and pot up. Does that help??

Inanda -

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You bet. Thanks Inanda

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the information...I just received mine in the mail yesterday...when I get a chance I will post pics...put them in the fridge...and let you all know how they are doing through the winter months. I just couldn't pass up the great savings.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Okay...it was so warm here today...about 66 degrees that I planted all of them....35 in fact.

They are:
Jubileo Asiatic
Centerfold Asiatic
Italia Asiatic
Touching Orienpet
Dizzy Oriental
Lollipop Asiatic
Red Hot Orienpet

The bulbs looked great....can't wait until summer to see the blooms.

Deb

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good deal. I finally got the last of mine planted the day after Christmas. Before too long we'll be seeing sprouts. Yea!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good deal. I finally got the last of mine planted the day after Christmas. Before too long we'll be seeing sprouts. Yea!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Is there an echo in here??? >:)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Big one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.