Does your dog have stinky fishy breath?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Boy Pebbles our Aussie has had the most NASTY fishy smelling breath. For years. It has been just awful! It is repulsive. Dog breath is normally not the best, but this has been -- like a fish market on a bad day.

I have asked the vet several times. We have checked her teeth. Checked her blood. We have fed her apples. We have brushed her teeth.

She has been eating Wellness for probably 5 years. Some that feed all raw would say that's not a good food, but I think it's better than most... at least it's a "human grade" all natural food with real meats. We don't feed her junky biscuits, and very very little table food. She does get a half a small apple and some celery cut up in her food for added crunch with low calories.

Well, finally, I searched and searched the internet, and came up with an obscure article about fishy breath being caused by omega oils coming from fish souces. It said to use a different source of Omegas and over time, the fish breath will go away. They were unable to figure out why it gives some dogs fishy breath and not others.

I searched my local pet store, and finally found that Natural Balance does not use Omega's from fish. There looked to be nothing in it from fish that I could find. We got a bag, and started feeding it about 3 weeks ago.

Already, Pebbles breath is nearly odorless.

HAPPY People! Happy PEBBLES! No more "get out of my face fish breath!!!!" Now when she comes up to us we can cuddle her without turning up our noses in disgust!

Natural Balance is what I fed my old cat that had kidney failure and he would not eat the prescription diets. He did wonderful on it.

Of course, it would be the most expensive food in the entire store. :-(

Just thought if there were others out there with this problem with their dogs that you might try a food without omegas from fish and see if it helped!

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!