Need med/tall shade plant that blooms in July?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a perennial shade border that is currently without blooms except for some impatiens. My gardens generally focus on cut flowers. In this area bellflowers,delphiniums and columbine are finished blooming by the end of June. I have some thalictrum and turtlehead but they won't bloom until August.I did plant some petite delight monardo this year but it will only be about a foot tall at maturity and I need something taller for the background, any ideas for a medium to tall shade perennial that blooms in July?

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

How about astilbe? Here's a link about them..
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/astilbe.html
Trish

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 7th 11:18 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This is not a moist area and I've only had luck with astilbe in a raised bed that is constantly moist. The area also gets a little morning sun. Thanks for the link, that may help with my 3 fanal astilbes whose leaves have turned brown, may be spider mites, not sure yet.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 7th 11:29 PM

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:59 AM

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, I have daylilies that bloom with just a bit of morning sun, also ladybells (adenaphora) are in their 4' tall glory now-these both get little sun here and no special care.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sis, I'll definetely give the coneflowers a try, I have some in full sun but didn't know they tolerated shade.
Marcia, I just planted some ladybells this year in another shady spot but they are only about 8" tall, perhaps they will bloom earlier next year. I will keep them in mind , that may be an interesting combo, coneflowers with ladybells and perhaps some white Miss lingard phlox.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 10:00 AM

I have japenease anemones that get 4 feet and bloom beautifully as well as hardy hibiscus that does well in the shade. Good Luck, Kathy

Trenton, MI

Zinnia,
Hi! I have a book on cutting gardens and it recommends Obedient Plant and Bee Balm for shade. I have both growing in a shady garden and they do OK. Oh, I see this book also lists goldenrod (Solidago) too.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Zinnia,
I don't know how it would work for a cutting flower, but my Lobelia is about to bloom. It is in a shade bed that gets just a nip of late afternoon to evening full sun. It is a perennial that gets close to three feet tall. I am also in Cincinnati.
Michele
ps. obedient plants and monarda are just blooming here too.

Derwood, MD(Zone 7a)

If it is not too shady, some of the Oriental lilies might be nice there. How about some Hydrangias? The one called Pia is a very reliable bloomer for me.

Trenton, MI

Oh, Hydrangeas! That's a good idea! I have one growing in a shady spot too and it seems to need less water than the ones I have in the sun.

(Zone 4a)

I have veronica and lobelia blooming in my shade garden right now. Achillea seems to do fine in shade and is fairly tall. Some of the coreopsis varieties do well in shade.

Obedient plant doesn't bloom till August here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.