Wood Used for Compost Bin

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I haven't seen any discussions on the types of wood recommended for compost bins. I'm about to build one. Should I stay clear of pressure treated? What are some alternatives?
Steve

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

We made our three-bin system easily used wood pallets, and you know, I didn't even think about whether the wood was treated or not, and I'm one who treated my raised beds with natural preservatives. I don't believe the pallets are treated.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Steve, my dad built a fabulous 3-section compost bin using plain untreated wood pallets he got for free. Just screwed them together. Used 3 for the back, 2 for each end, & 2 to separate the inner compartments. This way he had one bin for "new" material, one that was "cooking", & one for "finished" usable compost.

You can usually get wood pallets for free from livestock hay/feed stores, newspaper offices (newsprint is delivered on pallets), any of the big box stores, etc., etc.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Zeppy - I don't think any of the wood pallets are treated with anything, as they're specifically meant to be a cheap/disposable product.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for pallets.

Steve

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Good to know, Breezy.

Steve, here's one how-to site on the pallet bins:
http://digitalseed.com/composter/bins/palletbin.html

We leave the front panels open and use a wide board across the base to keep stuff in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.