Need med/tall shade plant that blooms in July?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a perennial shade border that is currently without blooms except for some impatiens. My gardens generally focus on cut flowers. In this area bellflowers,delphiniums and columbine are finished blooming by the end of June. I have some thalictrum and turtlehead but they won't bloom until August.I did plant some petite delight monardo this year but it will only be about a foot tall at maturity and I need something taller for the background, any ideas for a medium to tall shade perennial that blooms in July?

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

How about astilbe? Here's a link about it..
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/astilbe.html
Trish

Valley Falls, NY(Zone 5a)

Lets see,..Goats beard is STILL blooming! MANY campanulas like the shade,..Ligularias are starting to put up flower spikes,..Foxgloves,...Baneberry really brightens up the shade with its brilliant RED berries,..and toad lilies!Really gorgeous......Dawn

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I don't know when nictonia blooms, but this silly clownish flower does bright up a dark area and is tall enough. it's white pendulous blooms are cute

Pleasantville, NY(Zone 6a)

Have you thought of Chelone lyonii (Pink Turtlehead)? We're the same Zone altho I'm in the NOrthEast.I got a plant from Shady Oaks this spring and it has been blooming for a month now and will continue til early fall, I understand. They grow to 2-3'x24-30" and tolerate full shade. The color is lovely light and dark pink and makes an attractive shrubby round bush. It's a perennial. I think there is another variety as well. Mine is about a foot high now and will probably grow to full height and width in 1-2 yrs.
Ruth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.