Once you have gloriosas, you have gloriosas forever

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Mind you, I am not complaining. But periodically I find a gloriosa vine growing away from the bed I have them in. This one is about five feet away. How it migrates here I am not sure. Mine do not produce seeds. I have dug up tubers and found them migrated down to about three feet. I started with about ten and a couple of years ago, I dug them up and there were over three hundred. After I replanted the bed with something else, another seventy five that I missed came up.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Youre lucky to have such luck!! I struggled for years to grow one, and i think i had it down pat this year. Unfortunately she was a casualty also.

i think i got one from you at the swap this year? last year?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yep, you got it from me last year.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Let them stray to my house - I will love them! You know, you're a lucky gal - so many beautiful plants!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

This is the first year I've overwintered them. I hope they survive. I just love them and everyone that saw them were also impressed.
:) Donna

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i think the one i had bit the dust. i wish mine would grow all over.

i wonder if its the bulbs or the place i am buying from( which is local).

Orlando, FL

Would love to have one to try it up here in Orlando, Would send you postage or Trade. Fran

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Marie, maybe it has something to do with the Carolinas.LOL I lost both of mine for whatever reason

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Fran, let me know if they grow in Orlando, I have always wanted to grow one but never did...I'll take an extra tuber for a trade if you have one Rylaff!
MerryMary

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

rylaff~

Some questions on your gloriosas:

Do you really mean a full yard deep? Was the soil cultivated or uncultivated (as lawn footage)?

Was this after one season or were the deep ones away from your main patch? Was there any growth from the tubers when you found them?

I'm asking because at that depth they might survive our winters here, if I started them a bit deep in friable soil and let them burrow....

raydio.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Somehow, these things migrate. When I dug up the flower bed, at first I dug only a short distance down and kept finding them. So I cug a little deeper and was still finding them. Maybe it was only two feet, but it was much deeper ethen one would expect to find tubers. And they occasionally show up outside the flower bed in the middle of the grass as this one did. I had one show up in another flower bed about ten feet away. I didnt put it there and mine dont make seeds.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

They definately migrate, even in large containers. I overwinter mine in their pots in the basement and repot them with new potting mix in spring. When I do this the tubers have moved from their orginal horizontal placement 2 inches deep to a vertical position usually at the edge of the pot.. The photo illustrates their realignment vertical after an orginal horizontal position.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

OK, guys, I give up, what is a gloriasas? What do they look like, I new here! Thanks, Krispi

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloriosas (Climbing Lily) - in pots at night...
a vine from a tuber...scientific name is Glorisa superba'Rothchildiana'

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Closer up...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is mine.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I just found this thread and love the information. I bought a couple of tubers at the Southeastern Flower Show last year. They bloomed once and then I couldn't find them again. Is it normal for them to bloom only once? They are so gorgeous, I'd love to try them again. I'd just like to know if I stand a chance of keeping them.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

OMG they are gorgious! really... glorious~

If anyone needs to offload 1 or a dozen, look me up! I'll happily trade or for postage!

Thanks!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2005 9:42 AM

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Lisa.

jmorth!I've noticed the re-orientation of the tubers I have grow too.

Those kooky, lovely Gloriosas! What'll they do next!?

Robert.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

seeds pods are easy to get. Just hand pollinate! I got over 800 seeds this summer from mine. Some of the pods were nearly 8 in. long.
They come in 6 different colors also.
Larry in NC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.