univents in Harbor Freight GH ....?

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

We are trying to install the auto opener in my little GH. Hubby is not happy with the way we have it installed...says it needs more support..he doesnt like all that weight hanging from the bottom window frame. I realize that this is a cheaper GH but its all I can afford....those of you who have one...I would love to hear how you installed the auto opener.

I'm sure we can rig up something but I would love to see what some of the rest of you have done.
thanks
charlotte

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I had hoped you would have gotten an answer. Sorry to see this sitting.

Is there anyway to support the weight from above or from the side? I think it should be alright but the frame on the greenhouse does look a bit thin in comparison to the size of the opener. I am wondering if there is a way to connect a heavy piece of wire from the frame above to the end of the opener? The only other thing I can think of is to spread the weight a bit where it is attached.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Michelle.... I think some of our Daves folks must be still full of turkey !!

I asked over at GW and they suggested reinforcing the bottom frame where the unit is installed with a thicker piece of aluminum (from Lowes) for support.

If I had a bit more experience I would have paid more for a lighter durty opener but you know what they say about hindsight.. LOL

These Harbor Freight greenhouses are a great buy for the money but they are not quiet as sturdy as the more expensive models. As one of the guys over there said... "they require a bit of tweaking "... Good thing I am a plugger who likes to invent things :) Thanks for your advice :)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Charlotte!
I also have the HF greenhouse. And I have the univent (sitting in a box!). I did try to install one last spring and it didn't work. Fast forward to today where the company has sent me a replacement and it sits in the box. I have drilled the holes in that thin aluminum and it's ready for the replacement, but unfortunately I can't comment until next spring. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in this endeavour. Perhaps we can compare notes this spring?

Meanwhile, I'm in the heavy decision making process of how to heat this little thing. Last year I went with electric, and it got a bit pricey in January/February. I just tried out a propane heater in these last few days and that is a no go. I need something with a thermostat.

Lets keep in touch about our HF greenhouses.

Happy Winter!

Sue

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Sounds great Sue...I would love to compare. I am in zone 7a so a bit colder than you.

I bought a piece of thicker aluminum at Lowes for about $6. I think it is about 2 inches wide - 3 feet long and thick enough that you cant bend it easily and a few sheet metal screws. I plan to mount this on the bottom window opening frame to support the unit. An inexpensive fix if it works.

I've been over the heat issue too. Seems that no matter what....electric is the cheapest. Those little heaters like the pelonis at Walmart for $29 throw out alot of heat. Their thermostat probably doesnt go below 50 but you could probably get around that buy using a timer to cut the heat off during the hotest part of the day ?

For a back up....I ordered one of those small paraffin (kerosene) heaters off ebay. I am anxious to see how that works :)

I'm also going to order some bubblewrap insulation from Charleys.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw a heater that I hope might work for heating a small greenhouse. It's a flat panel convection heater. no moving parts. It works for a 10x10 area. you are supposed to place it on an interior wall so probably would have to make a "fake" wall in the center of the greenhouse. I am thinking that a piece of concrete board or green board in a frame would suffice. It only uses 445 watts which would make the cost here be about 50 cents a day.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

That might be a good idea.

I wonder if a heater with that small a wattage will put out enough heat for a greenhouse though.
It is probably meant for an indoor location where temps wouldnt get as cold.
I might try it but would not put my special plants in there until I was sure...good luck :)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, boo. I had to cut off the heat. I got the bill. :( I was running an electric heater at 60 degrees. It would not go any lower. I had run this same heater last year, which was insane at that time also. I was in denial!

My first bill this month was $40 more than last year (and combined with the gas bill) it is just too much $$ at this time.

I did explore finding propane alternatives, but those heaters run for 24 - 30 hours on 1 BBQ type tank and don't have thermostats. I tested one for 10 minutes and that greehouse was like a sauna in less than 5 minutes. I kid you not!

So those are out too. Maybe one day I can afford a greenhouse with heat, but for this year, no go!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Sue... since you are warmer than me....some of my ideas might work better for you.

Someday I will buy a greenhouse thermostat...in the meantime...you could use a timer to turn your heater on and off..especially if it is not a cold day.

I plan to start my heating in Feb so I will only have one really cold month to heat. I ordered one of those little kerosene heaters from England. Its really just like a big kerosene lamp...I wish I had ordered 2. This will be my emergency backup if the power fails. I'll use electric using a regular timer to turn it on in the evening and off about mid morning...unless temps are really cold. I have some bubble wrap insulation due to arrive this week..good luck to us all :)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Charlotteda - my gosh, I'm not sure where to look or how to find a timer. I will do some google research on that. It never occured to me! Thanks for the heads up.

In the meantime, all bananas and fruit trees have been moved to the garage!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

They are everywhere this time of year....in the christmas stuff etc. Lowes, Walmart ...
If you are careful...you could use an indoor one that costs about $5.

An outdoor one is about $14 around here. It would require a little watching on your part but it would be a good answer for when the days are okay but nights are cold :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.