Adding worms directly to garden

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

I want to add some worms to a new bed in my garden. It literally has NO earthworms. The soil is rocky, once I dig down a few inches. I've prepped it with a layer of peat moss, followed by a layer of newspaper, then compost (asked about this in another post) - now, I want to add worms to do some of the work over the winter. I've researched via the internet & checked worm vendors from "Garden Watchdog", and every site seems to recommend different worms, that live at different depths... The only thing point of agreement seems to be: don't put compost worms directly in the garden. I want to purchase the right type of worms for my area, as they're not cheap. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and temps rarely hit the freezing mark or venture above mid 90's. Does anyone have recommendations about types of worms to use and/or vendors? Thanks!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Honestly, if you've made an environment that worms like (and it sounds like you have), you'll have worms. If not, you can add all you want and they won't stay. Why don't you give it a month or two and see how many you find when you dig a square foot? Keep things moist until then...

I've read that the worms will come.... but also read that adding them speeds the process of amending the bed - guess I'm impatient.... and I'm hoping to make my life a little easier (in terms of soil prep), when I plant my perennials & annuals next spring/summer. Digging the holes for the 7 bigger bushes/trees took hours of work by my husband, son & I with a pickax!

Thanks for your reply!

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

If you want nightcrawler worms, go to your local fish bait shop.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

If you build it they will come....Zeppy is correct on all accounts.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

They all will make castings, and that is what you want besides the areation - They do need moisture too. The fish bait place is a good idea, you can get a pint of them for about $1.00. If they don't make it, you haven't lost much.

Okay, the nightcrawlers from the fish bait shop sound like the way to go.... a small investment, so I won't feel badly if it fails! Now, to find a fish bait shop around here!

Thanks everyone!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

My friend gave me a pint of them a few years back - I put them in my copost tumbler. I thought they might fry, but I still find lots of babies each time I take out some compost. I guess they just crawl to the bottom if they get too hot. Great gift for the gardner.

Maybe that's what I should ask my teenaged boys for for Christmas - worms! - that's a gift that keeps on giving! ;-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Um, you might want to mention that the worms are for the garden. Else you might get questions like, "Which worms? Roundworms? Pinworms?"

Denver, CO

Great point Zeppy. They might also want to see the worms eaten.

I suggest a combo of Earthworms (bait) and red worms, and others if possible. God's Rototillers. I've used them to decompact/aerate soil that was compacted/overworked in the rain.

A friend of mine gave me redworms. If I can find their latin name... She started with thirty or something at her new place about three+ years ago. They do not stay in the soil , but goof around under the leaf litter, under pots, etc. Their real hangout is the compost bin, which is always loaded wiht them. They multiply faster and eat more than earthworms and are attracted to any place (even new soil) that has fresh orgainc matter. Mature soil: they go elsewhere, unlike earthworms.

Sometimes Worms don't come if there is an interface or inhospitable boundary to cross. (compacted soil, sand, dry, etc.) But they will come from all over to an area of fresh organic matter. Almost like they can smell it underground.

I used to have a 'Worm Trap.' -A hole in the middle of my unamended lawn full of loose soil and raw composts. (Grass trimmings, kitchen waste, new compost.) I would dig it up and take out a dozen worms or so every few days, adding more organic bait for them. (I was collecting to start a vermicompost.)

Pour in the worms and fresh compost!

That was too long,
Kenton (James)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think mine are red worms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.