A country visitor in the Big City!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I could not belive my eye's (or my luck) when this guy showed up in out front yard a few minutes ago! I had just gotten done putting Pumpkin pies in the oven and sat down to watch the tube and there he was, they are so beautiful, I opened the front door to get a better pic and it spooked him off.

Thumbnail by momof2d
Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Wonder what he is doing there?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I did'nt see any females around, I'm not sure why a Pheasent would wander into the city, he was pecking around at the ground before I scared him off.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

A little bit o the country in the city,,,,awesome to see this beautiful guy in your yard.

Kelly

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

momof2d: that's a beautiful bird, are there any woods near you?

I know what you mean about seeing wildlife in the city. Last month I was at the hairdresser's getting my hair cut when one of the other clients called us over to see a strange bird outside on the lawn. It was a Perigrine Falcon. The City of Chicago released pairs of them years ago to help control rodents. Of all places to see one! A week later while sitting on the back stairs drinking coffee and zoning out, I was divebombed by either a hawk or a falcon. I thought it was a pigeon at first! It flew into our pine tree and without stopping flew right back out with a schreeching sparrow in it's claws. I was dumbfounded to say the least! City girl here never saw nature in action like that before! LOL!!!

Now to top it all off; a week after THAT I was watching the nightly news and a story came on about a Polish woman that lives not far from my home who was attacked by a chicken hawk that flew into her kitchen and scratched her up pretty good. The really weird, bizarre and scary thing about this story was that the woman had the same name as me, Antonina. Figure that one out!

Toni

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Toni that Chicken hawk story would have freaked me out if I was the person being attacked, weird. We did see a hawk chasing something down in our yard once, probably a mouse or a ground squirell.

We do have a creek and wooded area nearby but I was still dumbfouinded to see that Pheasant!

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

We live in the country, but I was pretty surprised when we found a wild cat living in our house shortly after we moved in (in a room we weren't using.) We had some problems with doors blowing open and he must have come in that way. I think he finally got hungry (after almost two days) and made enough noise for us to hear him.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Last Sunday my DH and I were talking with our Ward Precinct Captain who lives across the street and he was telling us wild stories about what kinds of animals people keep in their houses. One guy has an attic full of chickens and a rooster that wakes up the neighbor every day. Another guy has 3 goats living in the basement and another family has a Shetland Pony in their basement! Can you believe this? This is smack in the middle of the city with bungalow style houses and very small lots. According to him, the city rules are that if you keep "farm animals" in your backyard or garage than it's considered livestock and prohibited but if you keep them in your house they're considered "pets" and it's okay. I can't help but feel sorry for the animals to have to live in such confined quarters without having somewhere to graze and roam. Also, how do people live with the smell of these animals just feet away from their own living quarters?

Oh well, different strokes I suppose! LOL!!!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

We have pheasants here, too, but you rarely see one. We're a totally rural area - the whole county really - and people used to come here to go pheasant hunting. Not much anymore, and they must have done a good job of getting rid of the excess, because you just don't see them a lot. But they're here and I consider it a good day when I get to see one.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Toni,

I would hope they keep the animals area pretty clean, or the smell will be unbearable. In days past it wasn't uncommon to bring sick farm animals into the house in the winter. Many used to have stall areas under the house, if there was no barn. I have friends that had to bring a sick goat in for a few days during the winter. They kept in a small room off the kitchen. But to keep animals in your basement everyday?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I always wished I could have a mini horse as a pet in the house,,,

Kelly

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Kel - what's stopping you from keeping one in your basement now?!!! It would be a great customer-getter. All the kids would want you to cut their hair! LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jody,

LOL,,,would keep it in the house,,,,would be my baby,,,,. Oh, my, kids with scissors,,,,Not a good thing,,,ROFLOL

All the kids that I do now, know Mooshka sings and everytime they come in,,,they want her to sing,,,so, she comes into the Salon,,,,(Loves it) and after she's all done checking everyone out,,,they get her to sing,,,,they get Such a kick out of it.

Kelly

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

jasmerr: I suspect if the precinct captain knew about these circumstances then someone (usually a neighbor) must have filed a complaint with the Alderman. I truly love animals and wouldn't think twice about bringing in an ailing animal to take special care of but deliberately keeping farm animals in a small city home is kind of cruel in my opinion. I have to admit though the shetland pony sounds soo cute!

This message was edited Nov 25, 2005 1:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.