Thanksgiving orchids

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

So what's blooming on Thanksgiving week? How about sharing a blooming orchid (or two)?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya LCG,

I've posted waaaay to many pics of my bloomers that are still going. Sophronitis brevipedunculata is still hanging on Dracula sodiroi sbsp Erythrocodon has one bloom and Brassavola nodosum is still going after three months of blooming. I've become a huge fan of that orchid and it's Spanish name Dama de la noche (Lady of the night) due to its lovely evening perfume.

best of holidays to you,
don

Ah, come on now....doncha have another one tucked away? ;-)

My little Soph is still working at the bud opening, but it does appear that it'll be blooming, not blasting off. I'm thrilled to buy a bloom for $25 or so. LOL (All credit goes to Andy's Orchids there!)

I know what you mean about the Brassavolas.....I have a grandiflora with one spike right now. But my favorite is the nodosa. Even if there is no bloom, that scent is one that you can conjure up from memory (like Angr sesquipedale).

I haven't tried any Draculas yet. I'll make an attempt in 2006.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Share an Orchid or two?

Bc. Princess Teresa 'Princess Michiko' is starting to flower, 8 spikes in various stages of opening. Very fragrant!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ascocenda Bicentennial
I am growing this Orchid for 5 years and this years it is finally flowering.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Vanda coerulea still flowering nicely

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dtps Valente Campos x sib
This one came from Hausermann and it is growing on a slab. The first flowers of 2 spikes -

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is the Dtps plant

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Galeandra leptoceros keeps on flowering, very cute

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A very small plant of Galeandra baueri

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The first of the Masdevallias - Canary x Angel Tang

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cattleya noid, I have it for many years and it always flowers this time of year and it is sweetly scented.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 7:51 PM

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The Cycnodes Wine Delight J. E. M. FCC/AOS is starting to open this week.
I love the scent on that one, it smells like Teaberry gum, a strong top note of Spearmint, Peppermint followed by a touch of Cinnamon.
This one needs full sun year around to do well, otherwise the new growth rots.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happily the third flower just opened today on my Phrag Jason Fischer 4N. It is not fully matured yet ( still smaller), but this last flower is getting redder than the previous ones. It does better at lower temps. ( compared to 90 degr F in Summer on the deck)

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Phrag Sorcerers Apprentice - flowering since the Spring

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A scond spike of C. Chocolate Drop 'Kodama', also nicely fragrant

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And the Blc Dennis Kone 'Lakeview', also fragrant

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Opened this week -
Blc Silk Road 'China Trader'

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And a walk- in to show the still flowering Cattleya. ( perhaps a Lc Irene Finney something???? ) This one had 2 large clusters and then produced 4 more spikes, which caught up and those are still flowering. The plant is unidentified, it was one of the earlier Orchids in our collection. Very fragrant!!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And the Bc Binosa 'Tetraploid'

More stuff is flowering. I did not get a good picture of Cirrhopetalum putidum, but it is very cute, 3 flowers. And a few more others..... let's stop here.
Please enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Ursula

Thumbnail by RUK
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Your A GODDESS!!!!

RUK, you're amazing and quite the sandbagger to boot...lol. You've been holding out on us plebes. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Now I can eat kilos of bird and burn off the calories on a treadmill running toward these incredible flowers.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours,
don

WOW! What a great way to start Thanksgiving morning! What fantastic eye-candy to feast on!!

Beautiful blooms, every one of them. Thank you so much for sharing these with all of us.

Petersburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruk

My what a blooming collection you have, very nice.
Found one to add to my list..

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Here's my early morning Thanksgiving Day bloomer, a Soph. brevipedunculata. I was surprised that it opened overnight! (But credit goes to Andy's Orchids -- I've only had this orchid for about a week and it arrived in spike.)

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Good morning
Lynn,
your Soph. brevipedunculata is a winner, it is quite a large flower on a compact plant. Both Don and yours are really nice. Something to look for at the next Orchid Show....

Glad you enjoyed looking at my stuff. Dedda, which one do you like? Don, you are not that far off, I do not use a treadmill ( too much work) but I always have a very good time watering, trimming, looking, taking pictures.

And yes, the Turkey was good and we all ate just a tad too much. My SIL deep fried a couple of birds and with all the usual trimmings we had a good time.

Petersburg, VA(Zone 7a)

RUK
I like the Galeandra, never seen one like that before.
Tried to find info in the Plant Files.Have not checked AOS or Jay's Internet listings.
That is such a pretty flower

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

thanks for sharing RUK and LCG. just gorgeous.
i just have a few blooming now. not sure of the names though. enjoy!

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

and this one just opened today.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

a medinilla and orchid blooming now too.

Thumbnail by candela
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

This is a wonderful thread , very very beautiful orchids and blooms.
Ursula & candela you both have lovely collection. Thanks for sharing photos with us.
Kaleem

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

This one was waiting open for me on Thanksgiving morning. I originally purchased the plant (among others) from an E-Bay orchid seller, & have had a lot of fun watching each one eventually come into its own. Although the sun has bleached the name tags, from the written notes I have on the plants I bought, this one is "Pot. Little Toshi Mini Flares", a compact Cattleya.

Thumbnail by Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

And here's another one that's been in bloom for the last month or so. In fact, it's rare to find this one NOT blooming or in bud. It's an unnamed Phal. hybrid (Phal.3483 X Phal. Martha #4) that was grown by Flying Dragon Orchids, but which I picked up at either Costco, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

Thumbnail by Breezymeadow
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

just lovely!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dedda, the Galeandra baueri came from Hoosier Orchid ( just checked there, they don't have any at the moment) and the leptoceras from Ecuagenera.
Ecuagenera visits the major Orchid Shows, they bring a lot of plants, usually bare root. I have never done it, but you can ask them before the show to bring certain plants along for you.
Looked here, Galeandra batemanii
http://www.jewellorchids.com/Pages/species.html
Very pretty Candela, your "pink ruffles" in the basket looks similar to my Bc Princess Teresa 'Princess Michiko' ? Perhaps they share some parentage?
Breezymeadow, the Little Toshie is very cute.

This really has been a fun thread....thanks to one and all for sharing your blooming orchids.

Here is my latest that began to bloom on Saturday Laelia gouldiana. The cluster is just beginning!

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

this one was from a month ago.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

this picture didn't come out so good.

Thumbnail by candela
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lynn, I love the Laelia!! My Laelias are working hard on spiking and budding, but they are taking their sweet time.
Candela, we can see the pretty flowers on the second pic, all are very nice.

If you would like to see more, this one opened Thanksgiving Day - also very fragrant!
Potinara Hisako Akatsuka 'Volcano Queen' HCC/AOS

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and this one is a very small plant of Den. Mingle's Sapphire ( gonzalesii x victoriae- reginae)

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The Ceratostylis rubra flowers on and off throughout the year

Thumbnail by RUK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.