New Blooms

Silver Spring, MD

Enjoy these pictures from this morning.

This is a semi miniature, Watermellon Bay. The leaves are very different; pointed and serrated.

Thumbnail by nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

This is Raspberry Rampage. The plant is 6 months old and this is the first time to bloom.

Silver Spring, MD

Irish Irridescence. Hope you can see the light green edging on the blooms. Purchased in October at Violet Gallery. First time blooming.

Silver Spring, MD

Powder Keg. Bloom looks like Raspberry Rampage. The leaves are very large and very dark green, almost black.

Silver Spring, MD

Golden Thread. It is difficult to see the yellow, but it is there. Plant is 6 months old, from Robs, First time blooming.

Silver Spring, MD

Optimira mini. Looks like Little Crow. First time blooming

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 9:12 AM

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 1:38 PM

Silver Spring, MD

Another Optimira mini No name as yet. The bloom is pure white and the leaves are light green.

Silver Spring, MD

This in an Optimira and I'm pretty sure it is from the Little Indian Series. Looks like Little Comanche Girl. Crisp magenta single star bloom

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 1:38 PM
Edit to say looks like Little Apatite

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 3:47 PM

Edited to say Little Comanche Girl

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 9:21 PM

Silver Spring, MD

Boo Man is a semi mini. Tons for white blooms in large clusters. There is a slight hint of blue in the blooms.

Edited to add the hint of blue in the color.<
i>This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 1:36 PM

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 1:39 PM

Silver Spring, MD

Another Optimira mini. Looks like Rose Quartz. Delicate pink rosett blooms

That's all. Hope you enjoy them!

Nanna

Edited to name Rose Quartz

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 8:00 AM

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 9:13 AM

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 1:37 PM

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They are all so beautiful . Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Patti

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wonderful!!! Your plants are just doing sooooo well! WOW!

I think I may have a plant in the Optimara mini 'Little Indian' series as well, possibly 'Little Comanche Girl".... I will have to check with Dutch Plant Farm (LGS) and see if they get their violets from Optimara. I love the way the flowers are held up "in bouquet" above the foliage!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Little Crow is so cute. She does look like the little crow on First Class. There are two pictures of her each a little different byt people's camera's , light and growing conditions can do this.

Your white one the only all whte one like yours looks like it may be Optimara Glacier 6557 02/25/1987 Standard Semidouble White Star.
Medium green, plain .
There is an Optimara Glacier 11
8312 12/14/1995 Small Standard Single white sparkle , frilled.
Light medium green, pointed, hairy, wavy, serrated.
But by the picture yours looks like the first one. Your plants are so pretty :)) Put leaves down of them all.
Golden Threads I have grown many , it takes less light and grows slow. Always one of my favorites :))

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nanna
Your Little Indian plant looks like Optimara Little Ruby ~
There are two pictures one looks really like yours.
Reg 6957 11/19/1988 Miniature Single Semidouble purple-red.
Medium green, ovate, pointed, hairy , glossy.
I will post both pictures.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Another picture of Optimara Little Ruby ~

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Raspberry Rampage did you grow this one by leaf ? Your Boo-Man is sporting on you is it first blooms ? It is supose to be light blue pansy / white feathers top of petals, variable green. I can see some green in yours. Very pretty

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nanna Beautiful all of your plants WOW ! Your green arms and grow lights !
I think your Optimara Little Cherokee , may be her , but looking at her foliage might be
Optimara Rose Quart Medium green ovate, pointed glossy hairy. Single-Semidouble Pink flowers. Miniature
Little Cherokee is Reg 7489 02/09/1991 Semidouble -double pink/darker center. Medium green, heart-shaped , hairy, serrated.
Semiminiature
Here is a picture of Optimara Little Cherokee ;
What do you think ?

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Your Optimara Little Cherokee also looks like Optimara Little Rhodonite.

7994 02/09/1991 Miniature Single-semidouble pink darker center . Medium green , plain, heart-shaped hairy .
Sorry to confuse you there are a few that look more like it. Now Optimara Little Cherokee is a Semiminiature
Here is Optimara Little Rhodonite

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Silver Spring, MD

I think you hit the mark with Rose Quartz. Thanks. I make a few edits to some of the photos.

I will continue to search for the others.

Nanna

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

They are so pretty Nanna i hope you have leaves down of all of them .
Did you see this one ?
Your white one the only all whte one like yours looks like it may be Optimara Glacier 6557 02/25/1987 Standard Semidouble White Star.
Medium green, plain

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nanna
Your Little Indian plant looks like Optimara Little Ruby ~
There are two pictures one looks really like yours.
Reg 6957 11/19/1988 Miniature Single Semidouble purple-red.
Medium green, ovate, pointed, hairy , glossy

Silver Spring, MD

Hey V-T Check out Optimira Little Apatite for the Little Indian. You said it looked like Little Ruby.

The leaves a slightly serrated and the shape of the bloom is exactly right. The color is dark lilac which is close to magenta.

What do you think????

Nanna

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Nanna
No I don't think your's looks like that . Little Optimira Little Apatite does not have pointed leaves your does, also First class says Optimira Little Apatite Single lilac long petals, lighter lilac back. . Medium green, heart shaped , hairy, glossy, Serrated. Reg 6941 11/19/1988 Miniature

That's the hard thing with matching sometimes you never can know 100 percent here is picture from first class of Optimira Little Apatite

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Now is your plant had serrated/red-purple back leaves Dark green , pointed hariy . Semiminiature I would have said it looked like Optimara
Little blackfoot. It has single purple-red flowers.

"Single and single-semidouble can look so much a look alike at times. "
Here is picture of Optimara Little Blackfoot

This message was edited Nov 23, 2005 4:36 PM

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

An other picture of " Optimira Little Apatite " I don't feel it looks like you. What do you think ?

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, does this get confusing fast! I think my own conclusion is that I'm not going to try too hard to positively ID my noids.

Here's the one I've been calling "Purple Bouquet noid." I thought it looked very much like Optimara's 'Little Comanche Girl', http://www.optimara.com/optimarafieldguide/varietiesa-l/comanche.html

But, who knows?

Digipics & monitors are notorious for color balance issues, and the description isn't necessarily any help, because one person's idea of "purple" can be another's idea of "blue" or "magenta." Even foliage descriptions can be contradictory... Here, Optimara says 'Little Comanche Girl' has "serrated" leaves, but I don't see any marked serration in their picture... and I think the leaves on mine look the same as theirs.

So.... I think I'll keep calling mine "Purple Bouquet noid" and describe it as looking similar to Optimara's 'Little Comanche Girl'. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

whoops, forgot to add picture of my noid.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Your so right Jill. Optimara is crazy and just about impossible to 100 percent match up.
Ok also on Optimara web sight Optimara Little Comanche Girl' was first introduced in the year 1991
But then it was registered with First Class in year 1993 as the name
" Optimara Little Comanche "
Also reg. as a Semiminiature. Optimara re-names plants and also
imporves them and gives them the same name and they don't look alike. Now if you are showing a plant it has to look like it says in First Class. No white edge, or green edge you may not enter it.
In FC Optimara Little Comanche as Reg. 7917 which you will notice on the Optimara web sight.
07/06/1993 Semiminiature Holtkamp
Single purple-red . Medium green , heart-shaped glossy, hairy, serrated/red back.

Then Optimara has the Rhapsody line. Still Holtkamp and you find them often for sale with the Optimara tag just like the Space baby Everfloris line.
They put on their sight year reised N/A well they did revise it I guess they just did not make note of when ?
Here are two photo's of Optimara Little Comanche from FC both from different growers.
And yes monitors are notorious for color balance issues, cameras,
developing , environment changes color of flowers. When it boils down to it ( and I don;t think any of us do but if we sell or trade with someone who may show they need to know were not positive of the name) if descriptions is not that of First Class it can't be shown.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Optimara Little Comanche from FC both from different growers number two :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

This was on optimara web sight.. I notice their web sight does not have all of their plants
Note: Violets Which May Fit More Than One Color Classification

When searching by color, keep in mind that any interpretation of color is based on subjective perception. In many cases, the color classification of an African Violet will be representative of most everyone's perception. In other cases, however, an African Violet will not be so easily classified. For instance, an African Violet which has been classified as blue may, for some, appear more purple. Likewise, an African Violet which has been classified as pink may appear more red. As a consequence, you may need to check more than one color to find the Violet you are looking for.

Note: Lilac and Burgundy Violets

Two specific instances of colors which do not fit neatly into the above classifications are lilac and burgundy. For the purposes of this guide, both lilac and burgundy Violets will be found under "Purple."

Note: Bi-Color Violets Which May Appear Entirely White

Keep in mind that many bi-color Violets are almost entirely white with just a little of another color. This is often the case with African Violets on which the second color appears only on the edge. Therefore, when searching by color, be sure that the white Violet you are looking for is not, in fact, bi-color.

OK for FUN ! Jill I think your Optimara noid looks like this Optimara plant :)) Alison

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Silver Spring, MD

Oh Dear, Oh dear.

Why don't we just say Happy Thanksgiving and start another thread!!!!!

I love you all

Nanna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.