Label sources?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Now that Economy Labels has gone out of business, does anyone know of a good source for blank plastic pot labels and tree (hanging) labels? I'll need to buy a few thousand of each before next fall, and I can't afford to pay retail for little packets of 100 or so.

TIA for any good leads --

Guy S.

What does TIA mean because if there's something in it for me... maybe I know... but then again... maybe I don't know (evil laugh).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi Guy,

I make my own labels with Gardenware software on a Lexmark E210 laser printer on sheets of labels from Gardenware. I can also do wrap-around labels and the laser ink seems to stay for quite a few seasons.
http://www.gardenware.com/

Gosh growin! You make me feel guilty.

Here's what I think you want Guy-
http://www.nationalband.com/nbtplant.htm#2725
If you scroll down, notice the metal tags. Those will never lose your data.

For my location data container plants I use shrinky dinks. I cut them to about twice the size I want them to be after I bake them. If I want to attach the label to the plant, I take a paper hole punch and punch a hole in one end. I write on them with a permanent paint pen. Pop them in the oven and that's about it. These things have hung in car windows for years and years and years and have never lost the print so I figured why not use them for important plants so I did.

Now what does TIA mean? If its a type of native oak acorn, gimme gimme gimme.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Evil laugh yourself -- TIA is just Thanks In Advance! But maybe if you're really helpful, there might be something in it for you besides that . . . or maybe not . . .

Growin, it's the label blanks that I'm looking for -- I'll check them out, thanks!

Guy S.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

What I'm looking for is simple (inexpensive) temporary blank plastic labels that I can write on in pencil -- some for seedling pots, and sone to hang on larger trees during digging inventory, etc. I'll look into those sources, thanks both of you.

Guy S.

Ummm Guy, scroll down even a little bit farther at that link I posted and check out stock # 2745 available in 1000 count. If you poke around at the site a little bit more, you will also find the "hang on tree" style over there in 1000 count.

So... TIA means thanks in advance. I didn't know that.

YAW

Oh oh oh... I've got some extra surveying flags over here if you need any. I'm sure I could dig up a few hundred in an assortment of colors. Would those work? They fade in one season though which is a real bummer. They're also attractive to small children who seem to like to pull them out of the ground to collect all the different colors. Did I mention that a small child could be sent to you along with the surveying flags? No sense me having all the fun by myself. Children are such a joy.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yep, those look like what I need. Don't pitch your wire flags if you're done with them -- I use about 100 each spring (all one color, coded by year) for marking new seedlings in our nursery for subsequent extra watering. I can buy them locally, but if you have surplus I'd buy some from you next time I'm up in your area. Or maybe you'd like to bring them down here as an excuse for a tour of our plantings?

As for the small child, I wouldn't want to take any of your joy. Get back to me when he's old enough to operate heavy equipment . . . I'm childless for a reason!!!

Guy S.

They're all old enough to operate heavy equipment, and even the youngest is probably more than capable of doing some major damage. I think they're most qualified for any type of demolition assignment so how many small children do you want with your surveying flags? One per hundred?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll take the flags now and get back to you about the kids in, maybe, 15 years or so . . .

Seriously, let me know if you want to sell any surplus flags and can provide at least 100 of the same color.

Do you have any choice holiday recipes for the kids? (As ingredients, that is!) Otherwise I'd just have to grind them up for fertilizer, and that seems like such a waste of good protein!

Guy S.

I don't know if I have 100 of the same color. Jacob gathered up quite a few for Mother's Day last year from actual saplings that I had written the Latin name on that I was so disgusted all I could do was thank him for the pretty surveying flag arrangement (he had actually put them all in a vase) while trying to muster up a smile for him. He added a few from my bin of unused flags so he broke the packs. He probably took about 5 or 10 out of each color. Charming child and I can't help but wonder why he didn't go and gather up an arrangement of dandelions like most kids do. Bottom line, I've got an assortment of colors here but I doubt seriously if I have 100 left of the same color. You are welcome to what I have even if it's a mishmash.

I think you are posting in the wrong thread about child grinders ;)

(Zone 11)

I just found this site,seems pretty cheap for bulk prices..

http://www.dpind.com/bulk/bulkprices.html

Dave67

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Guy, just found this thread - better late than never. Checkpoint bought out Economy Label and the tags are still available through them
http://www.checkpointhld.com/default.aspx?page=utility.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, I just discovered that last week at the Green Expo in Minneapolis. They had a booth there! I told them they could have done a much better job of getting the word out that Economy was alive and well under a pseudonym! Thanks for posting the update, which I forgot to do when I came home from the Expo.

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.