"We Know What it Takes"

southeast, NE

Did anyone happen to watch the CBS Sunday Morning Show? Since this week is Thankgiving, the theme of the show was food. One of the features included Joel Sartore with a comment about farming and raising food. Joel is a National Geographic photographer and lives in Nebraska. He featured a photo essay featuring farming, farm families, etc.

His closing sentence was "We Know What It Takes". In other words, farmers know what it takes to get the food on the table.

I thought this might be kind of fun. I thought of this yesterday afternoon when I was helping my husband try to get a bull calf in the catch pen. The lot was muddy and of course, I am never in the right spot. Of course, we had to try to sort this calf out of 15 other calves, etc. etc.

And there is trying to climb into the tractor. Even with a nice step ladder, I still find myself thinking I am going to end up hanging upside down.

And there is the time when I had the ewe that was lambing and it was obvious she was having problems. I went into the ewe to try to pull the lamb and found four feet coming at me at once. DH tried to tell me I was crazy as that had never happened before. Two lambs were trying to come out at once and I had to push one lamb back to get the other one out first. I did deliver both of them alive to come out to the barn later to find the ewe had laid on one and killed it.

Anyone one else want to add to "We Know What it Takes"?

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!