Mare colicked this morning

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurie or Breezy! Or any horse peeps out there!

Lacy lightly colicked this am and was fine of course as soon as the vet called back. I had him come out anyway, but I am feeding her soft wheat mash tonight, just a little and have her stalled. I just read on the web that it's not really a laxative and that it's an old wives' tale. Is this true? The vet gave banamine and suggested mash and maybe a little alfalfa later tonight......Do I need to get a different kind of cereal for mash?

Although, after his exam, he says it was probably the foal maybe being more active or sitting in a spot that might've blocked her intestine. Nothing wrong was found with her intestine-though he did mention he couldn't feel all of it. But you could see the kicking on the bottom of her belly! This is colic (light) #2 in the past, mmmm, 8 months I'd say. I am thinking of supplementing her with bran mash if there is truth to it being a laxative, or if I get the right kind. Maybe once a week?

This message was edited Nov 20, 2005 3:10 PM

This thread has 68 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!