Fall has arrived

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

This is one of my Burgandy Lace maple that turns a brillant red.

Gary

Thumbnail by gldandrews
San Jose, CA

That's really stunning.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Magnificent!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

So beautiful!
I dream of having a JM all lacy and red, but they are very expensive here and not very hardy.
I do have a Jap. Bloodgood that I wrap for the winter. It is still small but I am hoping.
The first winter I had it it had a lot of dead branches so since then I have wrapped it each winter.
This was taken June 3 05.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 9:23 AM

Thumbnail by Starzz
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey Starzz. Good work trying to keep the Bloodgood going. I had buried my blood- goods in straw and snow for 2 years but they are getting too big so I quit last year. One is doing well and the other is not. So I am going to make the assumption that one is hardier than the other. They sit next to each other in heavy compost and sand. I have more trouble with the dry summer heat. So I'll test my theory by taking cuttings this spring from the hardy one and see what happens on the new growth.
glandrews Wow! If I could only have that in my garden.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you are having trouble with leaf burn in the summer I recommend Protekt. It's a spray-on that helps the cell walls whole. With your little one you could just use a bucket. They use it on bonsai so it can't be bad for your plants anyway. I buy it on line.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.