I need some advice on ordering Dahlias or not....

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I received a flier in the mail from Brecks for Kaleidoscope Dinner Plate Dahlias. They are very tempting to me but I don't want to spend a lot of money and then get some puny little tuber. It says you get 8 premium kaleidoscope dahlias, Pretty in Pink, Seattle, Procyon, Mystery Day and free Jean Marie. It costs $29.99 or two collections for $54.99.

What do you think? I need advice from the expert dahlia person or anyone else who knows about these. They look soooo pretty in the picture of course.

Thanks for your help!
Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Seattle and Procyon are both gorgeous, Mystery Day is striking too. BUT, for that price, I'd go straight to a dahlia grower online and save some money. Breck's has sort of spotty stock, as far as I am concerned. Spotty meaning sometimes not so hot.

http://www.dahlias.net/supplierlst.htm

http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm You can search for many of those flowers here.

Thanks! I'll check on those.
Susan
=^..^=

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Susan, the size of the tuber doesn't indicate the size or health of the plant. A puny tuber can produce a huge plant with dinnerplate size blooms and a large tuber can produce a small plant with little blooms. It depends somewhat on the variety but the more important thing is the health of the tuber, not the size. Tubers should be firm, not soft or shriveled, and must have an eye to produce a plant.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

If it were me, I would go to Swan Island Dahlia website and buy from them. Their prices aren't bad and I love their actual fields.
I would buy from a real dahlia place.
But I haven't ordered any tubers so I can't say if they are good or not. But if I were to order some, I would definitely try them for sure.

Or Susan, you could maybe trade with people here on DG for tubers.

Carol

I would love to be able to do that, but I don't have anything to trade with. I am just starting and I do save some tubers over the winter, but I don't have a clue what the names are. Just packed them away today, matter of fact. Hopefully, I can build up some of these and can trade. I already trade Hostas but that's all so far.

I really love it on here, everyone is so nice to help you.
Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Susan, for pity sake don't order any tubers, come spring I am sure many of us will spare a few. Joann

Thanks Joann, that is very nice of you!
Susan
=^..^=

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

True, Joann,
She could just send postage for all the tubers we can send her. Or
She could also just trade for other types of plants too.

So Susan, you decide on what to do. That pic of the dahlia is pretty.

I have been digging my tubers slowly and am not sure where I am going to put them. I wanted to cut them apart now and send them off, but am not sure about the eyes yet tho. Waiting until the spring will show the eyes for sure, but I want to get them out of my garage soon tho.

Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am not done either but slowly making headway leaving some that I just don't want to bother with, I feel so guilty but I just don't think they are that pretty. So anyone living close let me know. Carol, I think the eyes are pretty obvious on some when you first dig and others well it is questionable.

Thanks for the advice everybody! I will be looking forward to dahlias in the spring.
Susan
=^..^=

(Zone 7b)

Susan, that's the great thing about dahlias, we always have lots, and those of us who want to make room for new ones have to find good homes for the old. Wait until spring and trade.
I joined the Victoria Dahlia Society, even though I live in a town 3 hours away, so I can go to the members tuber sale in the spring!!
(And there's lots more like me, last place we lived, I had turned a bunch of my immediate neighbours mad about dahlias....)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The dalia sites are great. And the big sellers tend to be expensive. I buy from Aztec, Parks, Dan's, and Swan Island. Plus that it gives you something to do on long winter evenings.

(Zone 7b)

I'm already getting catalogues arriving for everything under the sun, it's great!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

And don't forget my favorite Connell's in WA- very reliable and not expensive. And further don't forget my trade page- I will have extras if winter storage is kind to me...

Aptos, CA

Hi Susan,

I have had good luck with Dan's Dahlias ( www.dansdahlias.com ) and Corralitos Gardens ( www.corralitosgardens.com )...Corralitos Gardens sells rooted plants...no waiting for the tuber to sprout! Kevin Larkin the owner and my mentor...thier plants are guaranteed. I did order the Swan Island catalog, and may order from them. Personally I do not order from Brecks.

Hope this Helps...

Happy TG!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.