Oh grow up! (please)

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

New this year, I have high hopes for Spring Fling. It just looked so darn good with that frilly yellow edge. I can't wait to see what it'll look like in a few years.

Is there a hosta in your collection that you can't wait for it to grow up?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I can't wait for 'Queen of the Seas', 'Dark Star' and 'Liberty' to grow up. They don't look like much as babies.

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

I have to 2nd Liberty, can't wait to see the wide gold edge on this one.

Ed yawning, have to walk wein, and it doesn't look warm out there....lol

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

All of them,,,LOL Well,,,, If I HAD to narrow it down,,,,,,, I would choose 'Embroidery', 'Guardian Angel' and 'Angel Eyes', Oh, I can't think of all of them this early,,,oh,,, 'Amime Tachi' ,,,,I'm sure I will be adding more,,,you all Know how I am

Kelly dragging my butt upstairs to get ready for work

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I love big clumps so I'm waiting for Striptease, Sagae, two mini's ones I received in a trade.

Very pretty in the spring, it starts to darken down here around August, H. June....filtered sunlight all season

Thumbnail by bentleygardens

A brand new Guacamole sport, anxious to see how big it will get, this is 3rd year in May, H. Holy Mole, full shade

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Love those pics, Ed. Which blue hosta do you have surrounding June?

Sandy

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ed~

Your 'June' looks wonderful. Obviously you're giving it just the right amount of light to turn the centers bright but leave the rims blue. I have yet to find the perfect place for mine.

Speaking of wanting hostas to "grow up", I read yesterday that each time a clump is divided that the hosta reverts back to juvenile form. Is this true?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ed,

Nice pics. I just got 'Holy Mole' this year,,,glad to see a pic of a larger one.

ff,

Ed can prolly answer better as he is our resident hosta "expert",,,but I had heard that it just sets back the time it will take to mature a little bit. Not revert back to it's juvenile form.

Kelly

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Kelly. Still, it'll make me think twice before sharing my hostas before they're nice and big.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ff,

You're welcome. Mine will never be nice and big,,,,I divide way too much and way too soon,,,LOL,,Have to learn to leave them Alone for a few years,,,but that's no fun,,,,I Love to trade.

Ed,

Did I get that right?

Kelly @ puter with a customer under the dryer,,,LOL Gotta go,,,she's prolly baked already

LOL @ Kelly

If you split a mature June then you'll get more junes, I haven't had any revert back to Halcyon.

Around the June is of course Halcyon, I have too many of those.

Ed

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I have to answer "most" of mine. Several made great strides this year, but most are quite new and many are small hostas anyway. I think I'd really like to see my Paul's Glory mature. It will go into my new garden in the spring which should be a better location than where I had it this past summer. It's presently in a holding bed so that I could put something else where it was.

I have 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa' AND Blue Shadows which is a sport of it. At the moment,(or past summer) they look exactly alike. I'm hoping that with maturity there will be a difference.

Revolution, Touch of Class, Jewel of the Nile are all real babies in my garden. I hope to see some real growth there.

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ed,

I didn't mean that way,,, silly goose,,,LOL I Know if you split you get the same hosta,,,,,

maybe ff did mean it that way though,,,never though about it like that,,,just that it would be a juvenile plant,,,LOL hmmmm

Kelly @ home on vacation for the weekend,,,yeehaa

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

No, I didn't mean it that way. I meant what Kelly thought I meant. LOL!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ff,

At least We're on the same page,,,,must be a man thing, eh Ed? LOL

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ya, must be a man thing...LOL

Laura

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,,oh Ed,,,,Are you hiding here somewhere and just not answering us???? ROFLOL

LOL....to be continued

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Continued????? Continued where and when??? Get yer back in here and answer us,,,,, Yep, Just Like a Man to ignore the whole thing,,,,ROFLOL

Ed,
Now that you know what we meant are we right?

Kelly up from nap and running out to get something very non-nutritious for dinner

I think what she is saying is when a clump is separated and replanted it might stunt the hostas for the first year. Depending how big the crown is when replanted, i have had hostas not do especially well when planted in the spring, instead of the previous Fall. I think the cold weather kinda helps it get going. Did i do that right???

Ed

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,,Yep, that's what we were meaning,,,,,Thanks

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Well, that's great info on hosta transplants getting a better start in the fall because of the cold weather. Never knew that.
Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Me either,,,I know you can plant them in Fall without problems,,, unless it gets too late, like some of mine this Fall,,,,already praying. But never thought about the cold thing,,,Things that make you go hhhhhmmmmm.

Kelly

There are container nurseries in the Carolinas that actually put there hostas in a huge freezer for 30 days. It actually helps the leaves grow better that spring. Hostas REQUIRE cold weather, thats why they are as big as cars in the North, and as small as ants here in the south.

Ed

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

With other perennials, up here in the 'north' we know to expect a smaller size than say, Pennsylvania. So, with hosta I guess the reverse is true! Cool! (I guess that's a pun)

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'bout time we hear of SOMETHING which grows better here. ;-)
Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Now, we just need to get the ground to freeze. LOL

Dallas, TX

late as usual...I am waiting to see what my Praying Hands will look lke in maturity...havent had it a year yet..and this is its first winter with me. I cant wait to see Medusa either...and all my other new Minis.
Sylvia

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sylvia,

I love my Praying Hands, and this was it's second summer with me.....and didn't increase much at all this year. I'm hoping that next year will see it make progress. I keep reminding myself of the 3-year sequence......Sleep - Creep - and Leap.

Best of luck.

Marie

Christmas Tree

Fragrant Bouquet

Fried Green Tomatoes