Potential Chicken Crisis

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I watch two kids a couple of times a week and when they get bored they like to go outside and play with the chickens. I have 4 Barred Rock Pullets. This doesn't seem to bother the chickens at all. They actually chase the kids too.
Anyways, after they go home, I usually go out and make sure everything is in order. For some idiotic reason I didn't last night. So this afternoon, I can hear a chicken pecking on my sliding glass door and I thought that was odd, since she shouldn't be in the back yard. I went out there and she had been outside of the pen all night, seperated from food and companship and nests. So I let her back into the sideyard and discovered the three other chickens had been shut out of the pen too (the pen is in the sideyard). It looks like the boys had shut and locked the pen without putting any chickens back at all! So they had layed their eggs on the ground instead. While they were pecking about in hunger they discovered their own eggs. So now my chickens are eating their eggs! What do I do!

This thread has 42 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!