The snow cometh.........they say!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Here comes our first snow of the season-well thats what the weather people are saying.
IS THIS YOUR FIRST SNOW OF THE SEASON????

Lets keep track of what goes on snow/weatherwise here!!

The temps are falling now here @ 2:14pm its currently 36 and the wind chill makes it feel 24
The winds are 21mph gusting at 34mph from the southwest
NO rain/snow over here yet!

UPDATED to say its 4:30 and snowflakes are flying!!!!

*****I hope no one was bothered in Detroit area by last nights tornados!?!!

This message was edited Nov 16, 2005 4:41 PM

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Notmartha
You live "down south" , we call that a heat wave here.
Gary from
Alpena 150 north of Bay City
Check with Granymarsh - 300 miles north of Alpena (grins)

Thumbnail by garyt
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my dh cousins live in alpena and own the market there
ANDY and LORI Kipfmiller

well for me south is ohio! lol

i saw marquett had 13inches! been there a few times too! ;)
well give us your snow report!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

The 'highlands' west of us received larger amounts of snow. At our house--maybe two wet sloppy inches. At present it is 21degrees, wind is relatively calm. Marquette Mt ski resort doesn't have enough snow to open or even to make snow. BTW, when the weather service reports the temp and current conditions, that info usually comes from Sawyer (formerly KI Sawyer Air Force base) and it is always colder and snowier there; kinda like when they report from Pellston. High plateau and no wind breaks.
Since we just had a new grandson born last Friday, we wanted to go to Onaway to visit, but The Bridge was closed for 12 hours on Sunday..
Anything south of the bridge is downstate, south from here is Escanaba or Manistique. Some go to Green Bay for shopping. 'bout a 3 hour drive. Which is how long it takes us to get to The Bridge.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

5 inches yesterday - more coming today. When is spring??

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i woke up to 12 degree temps with the wind chill and about a half inch of snow on the ground. The winds are west at 20 still gusting to 30. Dang chilly out!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

sarv......holy cow.....5 inches.....thats a lot.....I am up by Tawas Bay and we only got about 1 inch or so...28 degrees this morning....

Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A snowflake here and there so far today. 26 degrees right now. I have a stevia herb plant that I think I should bring in. It will freeze out if I don't.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow has it been snowing beautifully all morning!! big flakes and lots and lots of em-The ground is covered again. We lost power at 6:30am and it came on about 8:30 it was a tad chilly getting dayme dressed for school, I sure hope his clothes matched, twas a lil dark too!!

21 and with wind chill 10! I turned on a heater in the GH last night as I dont have all my plants inside yet! shame on me!! It was 60s last week and i was enjoying it and now POOF its winter!

The snow is pretty to bad it has to be so cold and last soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo LONG!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Ended up have 8.5 inches here - major yuck. Melted off all the roads now, just on the ground and NOT melting there!! I still have several pots out that I need to get in the barn so they don't crack - plus the bird feeders need filling- nasty squirrel thinks I fill them just for him!!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

None here yet,had a few flurries yesterday but they melted quickly...And really not looking foward to any either...

Loretta...

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Loretta

I sent you the email thru Dave's....if you did not get the first one, would you get the second one?? my email address is...

deann_mi@direcway.com

send me your email and I will copy paste the one I sent from Dave's

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Would you guys believe a Foxglove is still growing and even has flowers....and the Lisianthis is still green with flowers....go figure.....

Thumbnail by deann
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is the Lisianthis

Thumbnail by deann
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have roses and scabosia still blooming here

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Deann
Tell me about the lisianthis. Did you purchase seedlings? Grow them from seed? I have read that the seed is dificult to start.

Gary

Thumbnail by garyt
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Gary......Believe it or not, I bought these as plants at Walmarts of all places....I have tried a few years ago to plant as seed and I had no luck with them. They take almost 3 months to germinate. One of the growers I sometimes buy flowers from told me this when I asked him how he grew them.....So now I just buy them in flats when they come out. The ones I have are very hardy, and I am moving them into my greenhouse just for giggles and laughs to see how they survive the winter. The picture is one that is growing from last summer......They are really beautiful, the doubles look like roses....

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have some lisanthus I bought at warmbiers a few yrs ago
They are pretty-this is my favorite one
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=110641206&photoID=122559472&security=VgMaiw

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, we may have a white Thanksgiving. It is snowing here today and really cold. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we are getting snow over here too and my great niece(12yrs)from alabama has been waking every day saying-darn no snow yet! She is grinning from ear to ear today and went out and made a few snowballs!!!

I hope it makes apretty white blanket on all our gardens!!!!!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Lots of snow here too in AuGres area.....and cold.....Happy Thanksgiven to all you Michigan Gardeners....

Deann

Hi Deann I hope you and all the other MI.gardeners are having a wonderful Thanksgiving,with family and friends...Thanks for sharing your pictures of your gardens,your greenhouse,and the wildlife..I just love when someone cares about nature in it's finest...I bet with this snow it looks beautiful...Thanks Again...

Loretta...

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

2 inches here in Mt Pleasant.... Beautiful. It covers up all the stuff I was having guilt about not doing this fall....

One nice blanket of "wait till next spring".

Hey where's all the MI. gardeners at?I wish this would be more of an active site...Just wondering what everybodies been up to...

Loretta...

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes i agree we need more posting here!! im here everyday!
I have been busy with thanksgiving and family! Things have settled down a tad.
I have daylily seeds sprouting and im trying to get things set up for winter growing. I hadnt planned on starting them yet, but i got them out to share with someone and forgot to put them back in the frig. But with all the daylily seeds i have to start this winter maybe its good to start some now and then more in Jan and then Feb and March-i sure crossed alot of daylilies this summer LOL
Next year Im going to keep track more and try to make some new "killer" crosses.
I have some tropical Hibicus blooming right now in the house-very pretty and nice to see a flower when its so gloomy out!

**Can you believe how cold it was Thanksgiving -6 here and last night at 11pm it was 61 and now at 3pm its 38. I went out side for one more second of that warmth. I said to my Dh wouldnt it be nice if this was aprils spring warmth and winter was over!!!!!! a girl can dream cant she!! ;)

Well everyone where are ya and what are you doing???

keep warm
dori

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Lonesome, Dori? ;o)

Let me see. What have I been doing to stay busy?

As far as gardening related things, I brought about 75 tropical bonsai in various stages of development indoors in late Sept just before the first cold snap. They're all settled in the basement growing area. That takes some arranging to fit them into the lighted grow area so that I can get to each plant & water it daily. I've been doing a little fussin' and fine tuning on the set-up & have everything set for the winter now.

Just before Thanksgiving, I brought all the hardy, temperate bonsai into my unheated garage & arranged them on a plywood table so I could water as needed. They're all ready for their winter nap now.

When the hard freezes came, I had about 30 - 40 container plantings that died off. I emptied them of soil and stacked them in the garage. I also picked up all the garden art objects & brought them in, mostly just heaping them up on the workbench & wherever else I could find a flat spot. Over the last few weekends, I've been washing the containers and other stuff, stacking it neatly, putting up some new storage shelves in the garage, exchanging snowblower for mower, and basically just getting the garage ready for winter.

All the dead stuff (almost) is removed from the gardens & everything is ready for the rabbit's onslaught. We have about 60 acres of fallow field behind us that's reverting to woodland & the rabbit population is enormous. It's not unusual for me to come home after dark & see 5 or more rabbits scattered about the front garden. At least I've developed a safe and effective rodenticide program to keep the voles in check. Rabbits continue to be a major headache.

As noted, the forums die down, so I do a fair amount of research online and do considerably more reading than I have opportunity for in summer. TV doesn't do a thing for me, but I'll watch an occasional movie with my wife or a hockey game. I'll build next years bonsai and container soils on warm winter weekend days when its comfortable enough outdoors (Anything above 10 is fine with me. Cold has never bothered me) to screen soil components

I belong to several plant-related clubs that offer something of a winter's break, and will try to journey to Telly's, Bordine's, or Goldner Walsch's operations a few times to ease the outdoor gardening withdrawal pains. I say that (ease the pains), but to tell the truth, I have soo much going on here in the summer, with bonsai and the garden being such a major commitment, that I'm ready for the relative vacation that winter and its sleepy plants offer. By March first, I'll be getting edgy & will be outdoors pruning stuff that I could easily let go, just for something to do. April 1 will find me rejuvenated, fully cranked, and ready to start it all over again.

If I ever get bored, there's no limit to the amount of time I can invest in the business. There's always something needing attention or something to be done to increase the customer base. I seldom lack for something to do.

Cheers

Al

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori.......I am around...I mean I check the Michigan forum everyday....just too much on my plate right now with hunting season and having my sons here along with some of their friends. Now I am baking up a storm for the holidays...doing a little bit every day....Already have baked 8 different kinds of Christmas cookies, and have made my quick breads, and chex mix and special fudge. I give these home made goodies to my mail man, paper man, some neighbors, my two sisters who both live out of state, and various other folks....and I have not even Christmas shopped yet......I think after the holidays, most of us will come back here and we all will be anxious for spring to come and start to compare what we are all gonna grow new this year....

Deann

We got snow,again!!!A nice hot chocolate and throw another log on,makes you feel nice and cozy...
Loretta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.