Yezo nishiki

Greensboro, NC

I began collecting JM's 4 years ago and have about 80 cultivars. Some look great in spring, some in fall, but very few in spring, summer and fall. I have about decided that my overall favorite is Yezo nishiki. Very old and apparently rare, I got mine from Forest Farm. Although basically a red upright form of which there are many, it goes through many more shades of red and red-green combinations than say, Bloodgood, and its fall color is much better. This is a picture from this fall.

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous Fall foliage, as well as, the beautiful red stems!

80 cultivars is a very impressive collection!!!

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

I couldn't help myself and started reading through older JM threads. Reviving this one in hopes that jhayes could answer some questions about this tree. This Yezo nishiki is beautiful although I've never seen one in person. Have others? Would this tree do okay in a pot for a few years at least? And, jhayes, what ARE your top ten favs? Thanks!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yes this is a nice tree but it does get big at least in "dossville" maybe not in my or other areas... greer has 'em ...

http://www.greergardens.com/

$114.00 4-5 ft...not to bad ( shipping to mid west or east will be high but he does pack great even uses a inside crate thingy...I have had ok dealings with greer ... he is personally a nice fellow and honest but his biz is more than a bit disorganized ...if you are patient you will get good product...I'd give him personally **** and his biz **

You might want to try one of our resident folks first ...have no idea whether they have or can get it..

I had a really bad experience with forest farms who basically told me I should take my biz elsewhere cause I wanted specifics on the look of the tree I was getting...and it was a larger one and NOT cheap ...I think I had the right to know what I was getting ...and I'm not that picky but also not a rube..I would defintely NOT recommend them for JM's or any tree for that matter...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice foliage - Greer Garden's has quite a list!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes greers is ok especially for a larger tree...and if you live on the west coast ( high ship cost to the east especially in summer when they like to air it...prices are NOT as good as they were last year ..but what else is new...I've heard it is a pretty neat place to visit...most everything is IN THE GROUND they tag and dig ship with wet moss . They have a nice hard copy catalogue and offer a 20% off gift cert. at xmas ( last year anyway) that you can use yourself in the spring ...but ALWAYS call cause their email is always screwed up don't know if it is "IT" or "THEM"!!! David

South San Francisco, CA

I am heading to Greer in August (among every other maple grower I can find while in the area) and am looking forward to it. I have heard good things about them.

I have a Yezo nishiki on my deck that I got just recently. This is how they look 30 minutes North of "Dossville" this time of year. I can't wait for fall...

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey, that Yezo Nishiki looks as if it's doing all right on your windy deck.

Have a good trip Gary. Is it a buying trip?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yes Dude greer seems to know alot but Frank Byles ...now retired former owner of maple tree .net who sold out his nursery and all of his stock to a place in SF. btw...doesn't think much of his knowledge ...it seems amoung the old timers there is a bit of competition ;>) Daivd

South San Francisco, CA

Not a "buying" trip, but hopefully a "future" buying trip. Okay...OKAY...it's really a "gosh-I-just-love-seeing-these-places-and-drool-when-I'm-here" kinda visit. But don't tell my boss, he thinks I'm "working"!

As for "the deck". Wind like there's no tomorrow! Wow has this week been miserable! Just started the Protekt treatments...gonna see just how good it is...if it can stand SSF, it can stand anywhere!

Gotta go, picnic table just landed in the neighbors yard.....

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

OH btw for all you san franciscians Byles solds out to Oakland Bay Nursery ...he had a really large assortment of Jm's growing over many years and i don't know whether they plan to continue his operation or integrate it into theirs...they don't seem too bright since they shut his web siter instead of renaming it or haveing requests fowarded from it ..oh well!!! but they should have access to a multitude of cultivars ...thats for sure !!! If your near them may be worth a look ???!!! David

Greensboro, NC

Irmaly, interesting question about my top 10 favorites, but I'll give it a stab, in no particular order:
Yezo nishiki, acinitifolium, osakazuki, kasa giyama, hogyoku, A. shirasawanum palmatifolium, aka shigitatsu gawa, beni hime, korean gem, autumn moon. Also, my vote for best value ordering JM's by mail/internet:Whitman Farms. It may not have the broadest selection, although not bad. but the quality and quantity of tree you get for $95 beats Forest Farm, Greer, Wildwood or Mountain Maples in my experience. Here is a shot of yezo nishiki in late spring

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Youngstown, OH

HI, was wondering if anyone know the best fertilizer for Japnese maples? Granular or liquid? Thanks, John

Greensboro, NC

I have heard it's best not to fertilize them much or at all, that they generally form their best natural shape without any. I have read where some experts advocate using fish meal. Another recommended that if you must use a commercial fertilizer, use one fourth the recommended amount

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

ONLY fertilize in early spring and with low nitrogen fertilizer and NEVER fertilize a stressed plant unless you want to replace it ;>)...although many use time release stuff sucessfully most recomend not using it. 6-6-6 or 8-8-8 or some such IF you can find it . I personally never fertilize mine that are planted out as john says... but if potted I assume it will eventually become necessary and should probably be done on a yearly basis...good luck ...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.