St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Just wondering if I was the only Rhododendron fantaic in this area.

Thumbnail by declfi
somewhere, PA

Gorgeous! How do you keep the deer away?
Tam

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

HI Tam
Live in St.louis county Not many deer in the area.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Just beautiful! What is the name of the Rhodo that we see in your picture?

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

The one in the middle is Betty Hume. Solidarity is at the bottom of the pic. Accomplisment-Ben Moseley - Parkers pink-Wyandanch Pink-Tiana-Great Eastern and Arthur Bedford rounds it out.

Winnetka, IL

Hi declfi-
Old post, but I thought I'd shout out! I actually live north of Chicago now, but I grew up in St. L (which means I rue the loss of holly *trees* and southern magnolias). I still go down there frequently, especially to see the spring Rhodie smorgasbord at Shaw's Garden. I always end up with a trunk full of plants, and last year I found two nurseries with great R.- Garden Heights in Richmond Heights (where I found R. daphnoides) and Bowood Farms, first place I saw Joseph and Michael Hills.
Do you have any recommendations for my trip this spring? : )

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is the web site for the midwest rhododendron sociaty . There a lot of rhodo growers around Chicago as for as nursery you can not go wrong at bayers in Imperial Mo . A few Minuets from interstate 55 and 270( south on 55)
Dennis

http://www.midwestars.org/index.html

Winnetka, IL

Ooh Dennis, you are going to get me into serious trouble with Bayers, I can tell!
I have joined the MRS, and I'm excited to go to the meeting coming up in March. Thanks!

Winnetka, IL

Hey Dennis- Garden Heights has R. daphnoides.... yummy purple flowers and unusual leaves.
http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?uuid=55b3be8c53b4da608825684d0070813b

Don't believe the color on the pic; the flowers are a beautiful blue-purple.

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

I have not grow R. daphnoides . But It is probably heat tolerant.
Dennis

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

daphnoides is definitely heat tolerant. And i concur about the color of monrovia's photo being way off from the purple it should be. i'm surprised about that, monrovia usually puts up better pictures.

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

This is Cadis Excellent in St. Louis

Thumbnail by declfi
Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is Francesca a Great hardy Red

Thumbnail by declfi
(Cathy), MO

declfi, I also live in MO and am wanting to get started with rhodies. Can you suggest a few that are hardy to our area? I'm about 60 miles south of KC. And is it better to start in the fall or spring?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

declfi's not listed as a subscriber anymore so he/she won't be able to see your post. Hopefully there's someone else from your area who can help you out though.

(Cathy), MO

Just my luck! LOL. Always a little late. :-) Thanks ecrane3

Winnetka, IL

Hi, cat64129- do you have any colors you prefer? There are tons of deciduous azaleas that are easy in your area. Dwarf? Large? Sun, shade? So many options....
Are you on The Hill?

(Cathy), MO

I don't really have a set color. Just looking at pictures, trying to figure what I want. I love the ones that have more than 1 color! Pink with white or yellow hilights etc. Gorgeous!

I think large and it could be sun or shade either one. How long does it take before they bloom? From looking at a couple of sites, it sounds like these don't grow too fast.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

cat64129, the Midwest Chapter of the American Rhodendron Society has a link to recommended varieties. Go here: http://www.midwestars.org/photos.html

(Cathy), MO

Thanks Luis. I'll check it out

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.