My November 15 Iris Bloom!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody,

Winter is in the air around here, but...

Went out today to rake leaves and found my little purple iris abloom at the end of the driveway. This is pretty late, even for rebloomers, around here!

But it will be a short reprieve. Tomorrow some say it's supposed to snow....

Thumbnail by tabasco
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ooooooohhhhh, lucky you, that's a beautiful purple!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's a great color contrasted against that red tree. What a great shot. And anything blooming at this time of year, much less a royal purple iris, is a blessing, isn't it?

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

What a wonderful end of the season surprise! I went by our iris society beds the other day and glanced over there, hoping to see a bloom, but there were none. How special for you!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tabasco - wow!! And you live up in Ohio! Look at that color - - you ARE lucky!! Will you be taking them indoors if it gets too cold?

~ Margie

Bear in mind that I still have my "training wheels" . . . I was raking leaves and noticed that one of the Iris has sent up a flower stalk! The rest of them are dying back quietly, but not this one. Until I spotted this thread, I thought I had something really unique. Anyway, I'm happy to see it and to know I'm not alone.

Barbara

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Such a lovely deep color. I've always gone for the pale lavender/purple type, but you may have convinced me that I need a feel deeper colors :-) We moved from a suburban lot to just under 5 acres this summer... can you hear the wheels turning? My poor DH has no idea what will soon befall him :-)

When I lived in a zone 9/10, rebloomers in November was not uncommon; but in a zone 6!?! I just moved to a zone 6 after having lived most all my life without winter, and I am encouraged to hear that my irises should do well (when we sold our old house, written into the contract was the fact that the Irises were all coming with me... the buyers didn't understand, but I know YOU ALL do :-)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

ROFLOL~I definitely understand putting that condition into the sale of the house. The same one's going in mine!

Your irises should do great in zone 6. In fact, you should now try the MDB's, SDB's and IB's because they will thrive with your colder winter. They don't do well in warmer climates.

Boy, your husband should watch out! I'd go NUTS if I had five acres to play with!!! LOL!

Laura

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

How beautiful! I have that iris. It was given go me as Queen Dorothy, but it's not. Do you know the name of it, or is it an heirloom iris?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Iris could be .... Eleanor Roosevelt ??

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Looked up the daylily instead of iris. Goof ball is me! It does look like an Eleanor Roosevelt iris. Right size and everything. Thanks, Tazzy.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2005 5:15 PM

They are charming little iris and surely could be "Eleanor Roosevelts"

...I bought them off e-bay for a few dollars and they were just called 'old fashion iris'.

By summer I hope they will have multiplied and I can share them around. They seem to like where they are planted.

Now, what does the 'Queen Dorothy' look like? I supposedly bought some QDs from a home grower in Kentucky (Elsie's Iris Farm) but I don't know where I planted them or if I gave them to my sister for her garden... oh, well.

Maybe next summer I will know.

A pic of 'Eleanor Roosevelt' from Nicholl's catalog....

Thumbnail by tabasco
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

This is Queen Dorothy:

Thumbnail by mgh
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't find one that wasn't washed out to post. She's beautiful, isn't she? So, you can imaging my disappointment when she turned out to be Eleanor Roosevelt instead. That disappointment subsided when ER bloomed for the second time this fall, though. :-)

ER is beautiful, but QUITE different when you are expecting QD that's for sure!

pins--so you don't like my ER?! LOL

mgh--your elegant QD looks a lot like Conjuration. I wonder if I have those two mixed up in my garden...I think I purchased both but have moved things around so much I have lost track of what is where...

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

tabasco, you're a nut! Of course I like your (and my) ER. I just wish she were next to my nonexistant QD, that's all. :-)

They do look similar, but QD should have a wider band of violet on the standards than Conjuration does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.