Bariatric Proceedure

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Well I decided to have the gastric by-pass. I have attended the meetings that are mandatory prior to consultation and today at 1:45 pm I have my first appointment. I am doing this as I am 68 and diets don't work for me also I have post polio syndrome which effects the healthy muscles of my body and makes them very weak. I have noticed the dramatic difference in my walk and strength from last year alone ! Dropping 120 lbs with the help of surgery is my only remaining alternative as I am runnung out of time and do not want to be an invalid.
My friend lost an entire person, 165 lbs !! And I have seen people that have shown me pictures of before and present. My legs have become extremely weak and those muscles are supposed to be the strongest of the body ? It is difficult for me to climb stairs and the more one strains the muscles of the body, with this disease, the weaker they get. Excercise is not recommended and definetly not to strain the muscles. I'll let you know how I'm doing step by step.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

A sensible decision, Tplant. Not exactly a picnic to look forward to, but once you've reached your goal you will feel so much better. We're rooting for you!

Looking forward to it Yuska ! Just got back from my consultation with the surgeon Dr. Bass. He suggested the lap band which is less severe than the gastric bypass. The difference is that by pass can not be removed if need be while lap band is far less invasive and can be reversed. It seems a nation wide survey was taken and it was discovered that 13% of people over 65 died in the first year after having the bypass where part of the large intestine is removed. For me, it is much safer with the lap band and I could possibly be home that night or the next morning. With lap band I will lose about two pounds per week. With gastric by pass, weight loss is more rapid but more dangerous for my age.(68) There is a lot to do before surgery. First a complete blood profile and working with a nutritionist for six to eight weeks while in the interim visiting a phyciatrist for a session and attending pre and post operative meetings. This is something that you just don't jump into ?

Went to Quest Diagnostics this AM for a blood profile one of the requirements for surgery. Boy was I lucky. When I tried to park there wasn't an open spot anywhere and I can't walk to far. This was at 11 am and there was a large coffee shop right next door to where I had to go and it seemed to be a gathering place for retirees. I'd fit in just fine. Well anyway just as I was about to give up, a space opened up right in front of the place. (Who said there isn't a God ?) When I went inside there were at least forty chairs neatly lined up in rows and only one person waiting. I gave them my papers and ID and as I sat down was called in. The blood draw was quick and painless although they had to do the Butterfly manuever on my wrist because they couldn't find the veins in both my arms. As I was walking out I noticed the waiting room was packed with patients ? What a surprise ? In a matter of minutes from two people to a packed house standing in line to sign in.
Being I had to fast I decided to go next door for some coffee and a bagel.
Next adventure, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving for a 2 1/2 hr session with the physiciatrist. Now I'll find out if I'm really as crazy as my ex-wives (two) claimed I was !!! They didn't like me growing tomato seedlings in our bedroom on top of our dressers ! Go figure !!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

T-plant, I'll want to hear all the inspiring details! My husband used to be able to lose weight easily by increasing his activity and decreasing his intake. He's lost (and gained) a couple small people in the eight years I've known him. But this spring he broke his back (!) yes, his back. He fell 20 ft at work and landed mostly right on his back. He broke two of his lumbar vertebrae, the treatment for which is lie around a lot. Now, 7-8 months post-injury, he is in chronic pain and can't just start running again or lifting weights like he used to. Will this procedure be paid for by your insurance? If not, he'll just have to diet.

xxx, Carrie

Yes Carrie.The insurance companies seem anxious for the obese policy holders to have this surgery as it saves them money in the long run. It is very difficult to lose weight when you are inactive as I know from my own experience. I am disabled and have difficulty walking. I can walk very short distance but it is painful. Being 6' tall and weighing 319 lbs certainly doesn't help. I've been on diets all my life starting at 220 lbs many years ago. Everytime I losed weight I put it back on plus 15 lbs up until now. I CAN'T AFFORD TO GAIN ANYMORE OR I WILL DIE. My doctors suggested this proceedure plus one of my friends who weighed considerably more than me now looks terrific after one year. I also attend meetings with the people that have had the surgery and they are very happy with the weight loss and new lease on life. I think this would greatly benefit your husband as the food intake is limited without hunger. Check with your doctor or a gastrologist for advice. Meanwhile I'll keep posting my proceedures as they occur. Hope your husband reads this as I also have back pains due to Post Polio Syndrome.

I've been reading some of the material they have given me and it is very helpful as there will be no surprises. After the lap-band surgery which takes only 45 minutes and an overnite stay, I will be on a liquid diet of bouillion and soup without any solids and will be drinking a lot of water for a few weeks. I'll be able to have coffee and such but no milk and no sugar. That's OK with me as long as I lose this weight and constant back pain which this surgery or actually weight loss is meant to do. I'll only lose two pounds a week but that bloughted feeling will be gone.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Gee, Tplant; can I come and live with you? I promise the plants can all have their very own 'bedroom' and I won't even yell at all the seeds' baggies hanging 'round.

I'll keep you in my prayers; as I too was once 5'5" x 365!

~* Robin

I have a physciatric session this Tuesday. It's a requirement. Never had one before ? Should be fun.

deleted; and how was your day?

~* Robin

This message was edited Dec 2, 2005 9:58 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

What's the current news, Tplant? How did the session with the "shrink" go?

So many things to do that I actually forgot to post the experience. Well anyway it was a miserable afternoon with heavy rain, flooded roads and a record amount of traffic accidents. His office was located around the circle,a huge complex that has the main road wrap around it. However his office was on the outside of the circle and by the time I saw the address it was to late to pull in as I was already passing it what with the very heavy traffic so I had to go around a couple of times. I parked and waded around huge flooded walkways to his office. Worked up quite a sweat. Upon arrival I had to fill out some papers, the usual stuff. A bit nervous as I never had this experience. In his office I sat down on a low couch which I knew I'd have a whale of a time getting out of because of my weak legs. Then the questions "Did you love your Mother?" etc.,etc. Just like in the movies. He made me bring out things that I didn't even know I knew? Finally after forty or fifty minutes he placed me in a room by myself with table and chair and five hundred and fifty (550)true or false questions which to his surprise I completed in a little over an hour. He told me I had remarkable concentration and I was finished with the session. I asked how I did? His reply "There is no pass or fail" So I went home.

Last Thursday evening I had an appointment with a nutritionist at Hollywood Memorial Regional Center. Went up to the office on the third floor only to be told to go to the other building to be registered and security cleared. I told the person I could not walk that far and had difficulty getting this far. "No problem! I'll get a wheelchair for you" I felt so puny! A 300pounder being pushed around by this cute, petite nurse but we had fun as she had a great sense of humor and me with my cane clearing the way, we were both laughing. Upon arrival I was wheeled into a booth where another young lady took all my info and four hundred dollars, the fee for the lifetime nutrition sessions. Then back to the other building and my session with my own nutritionist. I was told that this would be a lifetime regimine after my surgery and to start using some of the foods and vitamins ASAP. All my vitamins and minerals must be chewed.
Everything I needed for now I purchased at my local Publix supermarket. For now I must take: 1) Two chewable Flintstone vitamins 2) Two to three chewable Tums
3) One chewable Viaxin for calcium. Also drink a gallon of water daily. The best way to do this is to carry a bottle of water with me at all times.
Next is to make an appointment for a special session called "Nutrition Clearence"

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

TPlant, I believe our member, cyberageous, is making some soups for this kind of diet since she had the surgery, too. You might want to Dmail her.

Good Luck!

Thank You Darius, I will keep that in mind. My surgery should be sometime in February and I will be on a liquid diet for six weeks or so. I made my final appointment for" Nutrition Clearence" and it is 01/26/06.After this my surgeon will give me a definite date.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Six weeks Wow!

I wonder how much weight loss is attributable just to the six week liquid diet? My aunt had this surgery years ago, i remember her mentioning the liquid diet thing i had no idea it was for so long. I hope it goes well for you, i know it can be a life changing / saving procedure.

Melissa

Just wondering... Can they actually deny the surgery if the 'shink' has less than flattering things to say about your mental health?

As far as I know they certainly can! Frame of mind is vital especially for the gastric by-pass where part of the intestine is removed. Once performed it is not reversible. However my proceedure, Lap Band, is reversible and also adjustable and for my age a much safer proceedure. Weight lose is not as rapid with this proceedure. My doctor claims a loss of 2lbs a week is average. One year = 100lbs.

May have a setback? My insurance company now says, after I confirmed my benefits with them twice in as many months, that I must go on a supervised diet for six months prior to surgery? Have you ever heard of a more assininine
statement to tell an obese 68 yr.old male that has dieted all his life and continuosly gained the weight back and more every time? They seem to be making up new rules to their benefit. I'm fighting it because of my age and time involved. I'll keep you up to date!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Seems like the co. may be hoping you'll lose enough that they can say the surgery isn't needed. I hope your doctors will try to over-rule on this, but ins. co.'s don't always show proper respect for doctors, IMO.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Well, i may be a bit more jaded than Yuska, but i think things are sometimes delayed in hopes that the person, doesn't make it another 6 mos. I mean what kind of a company agrees to what is a life saving procedure... but wants to make you wait, and jerks you around for 6 mos. Just horrible!

Just remember you can appeal again and again and again. It took 4 appeals to get my daughter her first wheelchair. She was almost two and we were told that the insurance co. felt there was no need for independent mobility before age 5!

Good luck,
Melissa

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OMG, Melissa, that's awful! I use an electric wheelchair but whoever - Medicaid or Medicare - won't buy me a back up manual chair! Is that the stupidest? This electric chair is broken half the time, the other half the van is broken, but I'm not allowed to have a manual chair just in case!

Say, does your daughter have Medicare AND Medicaid? I'm trying to figure out this prescription drug benefit and I'm confuzzled!

xxxx, Carrie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I dare not express my opinion of Part D! I'm not signing up for it. I'm in an HMO that supposedly helps with drug coverage, but the two prescriptions I have are not on the "formulary". But if I find a plan that covers them and sign for it, I cannot change plans for a year but the company can change the formulary with 60 days notice. Not fair!

Tplant, Melissa is right about the appeals process. Make as much "noise" as possible. And document everything. If you have records such as the dates and names of the persons who confirmed the benefits, you will strengthen your case. Does Florida have a state agency that deals with health care issues? Explore all options and take action as soon as you can. Yuska

Checked back with my ins.co. today and spoke to two different people and was told all that is needed is a letter from my primary doctor giving a brief history of my dieting efforts and why is it necessary to have the surgery. I called my future surgeon and was assured that his staff will follow-up. I hope this ends the stress?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Seems like progress, Tplant. Call the insurance co. around Jan. 15th to make sure the doctor's letter is on file. Leave nothing to chance - that's my motto. Yuska

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Carrie,

Our daughter is 6, so she is covered as a minor by my husband's insurance. I have heard awful things about Medicaid. The company we have now isn't the same as the one that originally denied the chair. Our new company paid for a 29K new chair for her last year, so i don't have any big complaints about them... I can't believe (never mind, i surely can believe) that an insurance company would deny a backup chair. I don't know what condition you have, but i know there are lots of organizations that will help pay for a wheelchair (even a backup) or have used donated ones. MDA does for sure. Have you appealed your denials?

Melissa

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Melissa,

I just bought myself a *new* manual chair on eBay for ~$125. [I had been using the same err, pre-owned/run-down chair for around 8 years.] I don't have the energy or time to fight some of these battles. Like I would die waiting for them to approve stome new life-saving medicine. My estate would be reimbursed! LOL. Medicaid, at least my version, is pretty cool - except for the Durable Medical Equipment. In my experience, it's the combination of Medicare and Medicaid that is the kiss of death, not, I pray, literally. When each of them choses the other's stricter limitation. Say Medicaid pays for as many catheters as you need, but Medicare only allows 6/month - suddenly that's Medicaid's limit too. Or Medicare has some dental benefits but Medicaid has none for grownups, bingo, no dental coverage at all. It stinks.

But what I want is for someone to tell me about this prescription drug benefit! I don't understand it!

xxxxx, Carrie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a suggestion about Part D might be helpful to Carrie and others as well. If you have the option of joining an HMO or are already a member, you probably don't need to be concerned about signing up. I've been a member for several years and have saved a considerable amount on meds. I only take two, but the monthly cost before the HMO was over $90 and now is just over $20. The copay for doctor's visits is $5 and there are corresponding credits for hospital stays, etc. The $85 Part A premium goes to the HMO; there are no claims to file as with straight Medicare. And should I decide later to go for Part D (I can't imagine that happening!) I wouldn't have to pay the 1% per month penalty.

My quarrel with Part D is that it is biased against the consumer...the person who most needs help. Once you sign with a company you commit to paying the additional premium and must wait a year if you decide you prefer to change suppliers. But any participating company can drop medications from its formulary with only 60 days notice. To my mind, that's an unbalanced plan! Yuska

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

EVERYTHING IS BIASED AGAINST THE CONSUMER!!!! excrement #$@(*&!$#@ More later... gotta go.

xxxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yuska, my main problem, although it used to be a blessing, is that I'm a "dual-eligible". Ihave both Medicare (because I'm disabled and get SSDI) and Medicaid (because I'm disabled). So all the rules are different for me, but no one will explain them because nobody really understands how it works for dual-eligibles. I mean NOBODY, not the pharmacist, not the BC/BS company that is SUPPOSED to be covering me with $0 deductibles and co-pay, and not Medicaid. I'M SORRY TO SHOUT SO MUCH but every day I run out of another medication and only the nice pharmacist will loan me some, the rest of them don't care... or can't do anything, even if they do care. This stupid prescription plan is going to put Walgreen's out of business!!!!!

!!!!!, Carrie

ps what happened to this poor thread! I hope Tplant's okay.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow - I didn't realize your situation is so unique. I have another suggestion but I'll go to Dmail and turn this thread back to Tplant (he's posted recently on another thread, so must be OK). The nation already suffers a shortage of pharmacists - Part D will not be encouraging for anyone thinking of studying for the profession. Yuska

I'm still here and I know the frustration about the new medicare part D. I will be taking a stress test 01/20/06 for my cardiologist but also will kill two birds with one stone so to speak. It is also a requirement for my upcoming surgery for which I'm still waiting for a date. My primary physician seems to be dragging his feet concerning a letter to my insurance company. Don't know why? However my cardiologist, whom I met with today, said he would gladly submit a letter for me. All that is required is to state why he feels it to be necessary for me to have the surgery. On the 26 of this month I will be submitting the final requirement prior to surgery and that is a written test with questions pertaining to the surgery, the new way of eating and reasons why I should have the surgery are some of the questions. I guess this is to make certain that an individual is willing to make a sincere life change. After all this I'll meet with the surgeon for a date....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You're dating your surgeon?

OOPPPSSS. I meant surgery date!!! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant -

Teasing.....

xxxx, Carrie

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Tplant,

I just found this thread and will be watching to see how it goes for you.

I have been thinking about this surgery myself but have mixed feelings at this time. I too have tried every diet in the book and always gain back more weight when I have lost. My insurance won't cover it unless I am also diabetic which doesn't make much sense to me. I figure if I lose the weight then they won't be saddled with a diabetic. IF I make the final decision to go ahead with this surgery I have a doctor who will be more than willing to help me through the appeals process. I am so blessed by my doctors.

Praying for you,
Lani

Good for you Lani! My primary MD believes in the surgery but is dragging his feet with the paper work. My cardiologist wants me to have the surgery ASAP but can't do a thing until my primary sends a letter stating why I should have the surgery. He was sued during the phen-phen diet and now has the jitters pertaining to these matters. However my cardiologist will write the letter for me and send it to my insurance company.
Just came back from my "Nutritional Clearence" class. This is the last requirement on my part. They told us what must be done seven days prior to surgery and that is a strict liquid diet. From this day on I must go on a strict balanced diet high in protein and do moderate excerise. They gave me a diet regimen that I can live with and probably lose weight before surgery which is definetly to my advantage. My surgery will be approximetly six to eight weeks after confirmation. I will know more tomorrow.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow T-plant, you've come so far! Congratulations! That part, Lani, about not covering surgery until you become a diabetic reminds of Medicare; if you fall in the shower and break something, they'll pay for it, but thay won't buy you a shower chair so you don't fall in the first place!

xxxx, Carrie

lol so true Carrie. Just so stupid how they use the funds. I always heard "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" but guess that doesn't apply to insurance companies.

If I could only do a happy dance; I would. I got a good sturdy shower chair with a back on it last year... 'cause of a sciatic nerve injury in the left leg & hip.

~* Robin

Mom's shower chair won't fit our little shower. I ended up loaning it to my friend who was in a serious car accident in August and I am back to suffering through the shower. I could have gotten one through insurance when I had my knees or my hip done but we got by without because we knew we would have Mom's soon. lol Some people never learn do they? lololol

My son is watching for a smaller one at the thrift stores so I am hoping he will come up with something soon. I hate to pay full price for one but may end up having to do that. A shower has become torture due to my back pain. sighhhhhhhh

Best news this week for me is that I just went to my doctor yesterday and have lost six pounds in the past month since he saw me last. He was thrilled more than I was and I was overjoyed. Maybe my new hip and knees ARE going to allow me to get more of this off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.