Celtis leavigata

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Does anybody know anything about Sugarberry trees? I know they are native to my area but I don't think I have ever seen one around here. I read on one website that they are weak trees. Would they be any more weak wooded than the Red maple (which is beginning to be overplanted here)? I thought it might be a good tree to plant for the birds. If anyone has any pics of some mature trees please share them. Thanks

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

They are related to and similar to common hackberry, but with smooth foliage, less warty bark, and ours has much better fall color too (brilliant yellow). They are vigorous and adaptable, and like other hackberries they are not weak if trained properly when young (of course, you could say the same about red maple, or even Bradford pear). You can find several photos in the Starhill Forest album linked on our web site: www.StarhillForest.com

I think you would like one if you plant it young and train it to a good limb structure. And I'm sure you've seen some down there and not realized it.

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.